General Fiction posted June 26, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Wearing my last badge

Badges Worn

by Nottoway


Recently I have thought about my working life and the jobs I have held.
I had not fully realized that I have spent much of my life wearing a badge.

It started in of all places in elementary school. And yes, that was a very long time ago and in my seventh grade year when I was selected Captain of the school's safety patrol. This was a program which had students who would monitor activities that assisted teachers. We would discourage running in the halls and other unsafe activities and report these things to the Principal as needed. Other duties consisted of helping our fellow students safely across streets and assisting the school bus drivers. Sometimes, that involved exiting the bus and holding a flag as students crossed in front of the bus. These activities are no longer practiced in today's school environment for liability and safety reasons. But, back then, they were in themselves a character building task.

Some years later, I served in the United States Air Force and spent nearly eleven years as a Law Enforcement Technician. Over the course of those years, I encountered all aspects of policing from simple theft and damage incidents to assaults, sexual assaults, domestic violence, traffic accidents and various death incidents.

Starting in 1992, I embarked on a nearly 24 year career of working in the Juvenile Detention field. These years were spent as a Juvenile Detention Officer and as a Juvenile Detention Shift Supervisor. Each of these carried state certification and stringent standards for care of juveniles in my charge. It was from that long endeavor that I retired at the end of July 2017.

However, I was drawn to work again about 15 months later. This time, I took on the role of a Security Officer. It has involved, conducting patrols throughout the County and working a post in some county buildings to assist customers and to assure safety and security.

The common thread is that I have enjoyed my pursuit. There have been challenges but, I am forever grateful to have made a small difference somewhere along the way.

Nearly 38 years of different badges.




A great thanks to MKFlood for a great illustration. This old timer is wearing his last badge. But, it has been fun out on the trails!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MKFlood at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Nottoway All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Nottoway has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.