Supernatural Fiction posted June 23, 2020 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A rewrite chapter of A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Unbridled Fury

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. I am doing some rewriting, so if you catch any mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy & stay safe!
Within all the havoc surrounding Jem, he heard an unearthly howl in the near distance. He looked up at the same time his brother’s beast vaulted over the stair railing like he’d been launched from a catapult. As he landed, the floor cracked beneath him.

The crowded bar responded with terror. Instantly, they pushed and shoved at one another, scrambling to get to the exit. 
     
Alexander’s wolf moved next to the Beast. Its bristling pelt was the color of virgin snow, and its fearless eyes were as red as blood. Together, they stood side by side, ready to destroy the Fury. They had to succeed. The human species was not prepared to deal with the kind of power the Fury bestowed. 

Jem shifted his focus when Apollyon came into view… or what looked to be him. He had morphed into a creature that looked like the devil himself. A type of hybrid… a genetic cross between a Breedline and another species he had never encountered before. And somehow, it miraculously healed from all the bullet holes. Never had he witnessed anything like this. He had thought the Breedline hybrids they’d fought against were unnaturally massive and unholy, but Apollyon’s creature was even larger, much more monstrous. A sudden feeling of dread crept over him.

The size of Apollyon’s creature was enormous, towering at least seven-foot-tall, with sharp protruding teeth and glowing eyes. Dark fur partly covered his skin, and it had huge leathery, bat-like wings with a row of deadly-looking spiked talons down his spine.

While Jem took this in, he had the strange feeling that he was looking at pure evil, one utterly devoid of humanity. 
 
The Beast moved swiftly. It lunged at Apollyon, knocking him back with brute force. Before Apollyon hit the floor, he vanished into thin air.

An instant later, the huge winged creature that seemed indestructible reappeared behind the Beast and tore into him using his razor-sharp claws. As Apollyon struck his hide, the Beast howled in pain.  

No… Jem feverishly thought.

Instinct took over, and all that mattered was saving his brother from Apollyon’s savagery. Jem palmed up a firebomb, ready to take aim, careful not to catch the Beast in the crossfire. But before he could launch it, a furious roar shattered the moment. Then, Alexander charged forward like a rabid dog and lunged at Apollyon.

Jem watched in astonishment as Alexander’s spectacular wolf moved in to defend the Beast taking a gory chunk out of Apollyon’s leg.  

Apollyon let out a tremendous roar giving the Beast an upper hand. He spun around swiping with his claws, but Apollyon dodged the attack and vanished again. 
     
When Apollyon reappeared, he was crouched on the balcony above them, his back facing Colonel Deshazo’s team. Peering down at the Beast, Apollyon’s golden eyes glimmered with homicidal rage. The Breedline’s interference galled his soul.

Using the opportunity, Gunny inched closer to Apollyon with his semi-automatic, poised and ready.

The flash of Gunny’s muzzle gave Apollyon barely enough warning. In a split second, he leaped off the balcony the instant he fired his weapon. Bullets smacked into the ceiling, sending pulverized tiles flying everywhere.

“Hold your fire!” the colonel called out.

When the gunfire came to a halt, the Beast scrambled up the wall using his claws, impatient to sink his teeth into Apollyon’s throat. The others watched as he climbed higher and higher. His ability to defy gravity was astounding to behold. 
 
Fueled by anger, the Beast caught sight of Apollyon perched on a ledge two feet away. He focused on the shiny object around his finger with keen eyesight.

Apollyon growled defiantly at the Beast as if daring him to attack.

Then, without warning, an unexpected dark figure pounced on Apollyon from the rear, slashing away at his wings with dagger size claws.

Drakon’s rogue wolf had the weight advantage over Apollyon, which he pressed by fighting tooth and nail against the fearsome creature.

The Beast watched as Drakon knocked Apollyon off the ledge. It was a long drop to the lower level of the bar, and when he landed… he hit hard.

Apollyon slowly moved upright and before he got to his feet, he heard the pounding of heavy footsteps moving at a high speed. When he looked up, the Beast was seething with anger and charging forward.

As he lunged toward Apollyon, the snap of a whip came from behind and hurled forward at lightning speed. It carried with it a sizzling bolt of electricity that crackled through the air, end over end, and struck the Beast like a blazing torch. He toppled over and howled as it burned and scorched his hide.

A look of satisfaction came over Apollyon’s face when he saw Electra with a whip in her grasp. Taking full advantage, Apollyon shot forward and took hold of the Beast’s head. And with a sharp yank, came a loud snap.

“No…” Jem gasped. “Jace!”

There was a heartbeat of stunned silence as Jem helplessly watched Apollyon release his brother’s lifeless, beastly form.

Jem instantly rushed over. When he sank to his knees, his brother’s beast suddenly began to shrink. It was if the impending changes took on a will of its own. He watched as every pore in Jace’s skin absorbed all the hair that covered his body until the Beast was no more.

At that moment, Jem said a silent prayer as he visualized the terror the Fury was about to inflict on anyone that stood in their way. He knew his brother wasn’t dead. It would take more than a broken neck to kill the him, but still... things weren’t looking good.

God... if you can hear me, you may be our only hope.

To be continued...

 




A reference to terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense their twin's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

THE BEAST - It is the second-born son of the Chiang-Shih demon. When provoked into a rage, he will shift into the Beast instead of the Breedline wolf. The Beast is also known as the Great White due to his white fur and enormous, two-footed stature. One bite from the Beast has enough venom to kill the Chiang-Shih demon, leaving the soul of the person the demon possessed unharmed.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Alexander Crest - He is a Breedline species, Jace and Jem's biological father. He is bonded to Dr. Helen Carrington.

The Fury - Three fraternal twins: Apollyon, Electra, and Callisto. They were created by an evil German scientist named Dr. Hans Autenburg. Using his own DNA, he mixed it with the genetics of a Breedline, an Adalwolf, and a powerful Wiccan.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.