Fantasy Fiction posted June 21, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a house plant

Money Tree

by Iza Deleanu


I wake up from my dream. A house plant is dying. That was the last thing I remember... a houseplant is dying and somehow it needs to live.

I looked around me and did a quick inventory. And here she was, my Money Tree was dying. I got this plant as a house warming gift. Until now it was my constant barometer. If the plant was green and with lots of leaves, I was happy. Green and leaves meant I was O.K. financially: the money was coming, no matter what!

Today my plant was dying and I had no idea why. First day, and I can feel it already. First bill no money to pay it, first leaf to fall. I needed badly to find a solution. I packed my plant and went to see my friend at the botanical garden; for sure she will tell me why this happening?

My friend asked me if I have changed anything from the plant habits: water, sun, soil... words of encouragements and care.

Shoot that was the problem. Lately, I was so worried, that I forgot about our daily conversations.

- Aha, you see plants have feelings, and when you don't pay attention  they are like children; they wither and die.

I thanked my friend and I returned home. I put my Money Tree in its usual spot and I start talking:

- I am so sorry my dear friend; please forgive me for letting you down.

The Money Tree, turned its face to me and miraculously started to speak:

- Don't worry, my friend. I was a little bit lonely, and I felt abandoned. It seemed like you forgot about me. You were so lost in your thoughts, that you didn't notice that I started to shed my leaves until it was too late.

- You know, I was worried about my mom. I am not going to be able to see her this year. Also, I am worried about my job.

- Don't be so worried, you have me, and most important you have GOD. Remember His words: "Leave your worries to me, and follow me."

My house plant was smarter than me. She taught me a precious lesson today about faith and friendship. Now I know, I have to pay attention to my surroundings. Whatever is under my roof is a gift from our God, and I must help them live.

















 



Dying Houseplant writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
A houseplant is dying. Tell it why it needs to live.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.