Supernatural Fiction posted June 16, 2020 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A chapter of a Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Blood & War

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thank you for taking the time to read my chapter. I'm doing some rewriting, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Be safe & enjoy!
Jace cocked his head and looked at Steven confused. “Are you saying you’re the only one that can kill those things?”

“Like me, they’re impervious to silver. But if you’re fast enough, and they don’t kill you first, go for the neck. That’s their weakness.”

“So, you’re saying, if we break their necks, they’ll die?”

Steven nodded at Jace. “Or… in your case, you could just rip their heads off. That’ll do.”

“Now you’re talking my language.” Jace clapped a hand over Steven’s shoulder. “I think I’m really starting to like you, Steven.”

Drakon pointed at the monitor as two dark sedans pulled up to the outside gate. “Take a look, guys. We’ve got more company.”

The second everyone turned to look, at least a dozen hybrids, if not more, scurried over the gate and across the lawn.

“Shit…” Tim cursed under his breath, feeling the hairs on the back of his neck rise. “Get ready, everyone. We’re about to go into battle.” He swallowed hard. “We’ll have to shift since silver bullets won’t kill those things. Steven and Jem... I need you two positioned at the front entrance while the rest of us slip out from the back and attack them from behind.”

Steven gave a quick nod and then turned to Jem. “It’s now or never.”

“I’m ready,” Jem replied. “Let’s do this.”

Tim looked at Jace and said, “You ready to wake up the Beast?”

“Hell yah!”

Before their transformation began, everyone reached back for the wall to steady themselves when a distant explosion shook the Covenant.

“What the hell,” Jace growled.

Tim looked to Steven and Jem. “Okay guys, on my count, you two go to the front. The rest of us will hit them from behind. One, two… three!”

Steven broke off into a run, and Jem followed in close behind. In the blink of an eye, Steven started transforming. His skin took on a luminous sheen and his eyes glimmered like diamonds. When his transformation was complete, he took out two shooters outside the entrance while Jem extended his palm and blasted a lightning bolt, downing two more.  

Seconds later, a shot came from behind and Jem went down, clutching his arm. When he heard a cracking noise like the sound of bones breaking, he turned to look. That’s when he saw Steven releasing a gunman with his neck twisted in an unnatural angle.

Steven rushed to Jem and knelt next to him, eyeballing the blood on his shirt. “You think your strong enough to stand?”

“Yah,” Jem grunted. “It’s just a graze.”

Steven extended his hand. “Come on, then.”

When Jem took hold of Steven’s hand, he hauled him to his feet.
“You ready?”

Jem nodded. “Let’s finish this.”

As the gunfire escalated, Jace’s adrenaline shot through the roof. He quickly looked to the others in alarm. It was then they all realized they had not a second to spare.

Jace was the first to begin shifting. He yanked his shirt over his head and toed-off his boots. His body expanded as if something within him was overtaking his natural form. For a moment, he hovered in that in-between state, flickering between human and Beast and said, “Bastards…” his words were deep and distorted. “I’m going to rip them into pieces.”

Kyle shot Casey a look. “Let’s go kick some ass.”

Casey nodded, realizing what had to be done. Exposing his secret was something he had to risk in order to save his friends he considered family.

Jace’s body quaked with fury, the creature within itching to be released. It curdled in his veins, calling to the Beast inside him.   

At first, it looked as if there was something inside of his body too large for his skin. His face began to bulge and move in odd ways. In a matter of seconds, white course hairs grew out of his pores and covered his skin.   
  
Kyle’s eyes widened as he looked up at Jace’s beast. Shit!

Tim, Drakon, Casey, and Kyle stepped back as Jace’s seven-foot creature let out a thunderous roar. The Beast lowered his big head and snarled before he tore off, leaving the others to complete their transformation.

Relieved to still be in one piece, Kyle heaved out a deep breath. “Okay guys… here goes nothing.”

The muscles in his body began tremble as the Breedline rose inside him with raw power. Straining muscles rippled beneath his skin, while the tendons in his neck stood out like drawn bowstrings. Thick hairs sprouted from his pores as the change came upon Kyle instantly. Faster than the human eye could perceive, dark fur covered his entire body. The Breedline wolf in him wanted nothing more than to take down his enemies in battle. Throwing his head back, he howled a purely inhuman sound and rushed onward.

Drakon suddenly dropped to all fours when an uncontrollable rush broke out all over his body. Spasms twisted his gut and thick veins bulged from his skin bringing forth his rogue wolf.

Tim watched the beginnings of Drakon’s transformation while he felt the change within his own body begin to take hold.

A low growl caught Casey’s attention. He averted his eyes from Drakon and focused on Tim’s gigantic wolf as he charged onward with Drakon on his heels.

Casey closed his eyes and did what he had to do. He focused on his Theriomorph side and called to the panther within him. Embracing the animal, he surrendered to the change.

As he bounded forward on padded feet, the shrill roar of his panther echoed throughout the Covenant and beyond.

As the Beast smashed through the back door, wood splintered into pieces and masses of Dr. Crane’s hybrid wolves rushed toward him with their powerful gaping jaws. The weight of their impact knocked him off balance, and as he fell to the ground, they attacked him like any animal of the wild moving in for the kill.

Although the Beast was at a disadvantage, he was not alone. Drakon’s enormous rogue-wolf charged forward. Using his dagger-size teeth, he snatched one of the hybrids off the Beast and slung him like a rag doll. Before Tim and Kyle jumped in to help, Drakon grabbed another hybrid and pinned it to the ground. He snapped his jaws and crushed its skull like an eggshell.  

As Tim and Kyle surged into action, they got attacked from both sides. There were so many hybrids, they couldn’t even fathom the amount, only hear the growls of the monsters.

The battle had only begun, Tim realized, and he knew they were all outnumbered. Hot hybrid blood sprayed as the Breedline fought tooth and nail.

A hissing noise came from beyond, catching Tim’s attention. In the split-second he turned to look an enormous black panther leaped in mid-air. When it landed, a deafening scream came from its jaws. With one quick swipe of its massive paw, a headless body of a hybrid dropped to the ground.  
      
In anger, Jace’s beast had not only the instincts of the savage killer but his Breedline blood and something else left from the man he used to be. He remembered his beloved and his unborn sons. It was his job to protect them. Using his razor-sharp claws, the Beast slashed into the flesh of his enemies. As his claws struck them, slicing through their hide, the hybrids howled in pain—pain that brought the Beast into focus, fueling his rage. 

Tim had never heard such anguish from animal or human like the wails coming from the hybrids.

As if on cue, Tim saw the giant figure of Casey’s panther bounding after a black sedan and easily overtaking it. First, it leaped onto the roof, and then dropped down in front of the windshield as the vehicle swerved. Glass exploded as it came to a screeching halt.

The battle was still raging when Steven and Jem stepped out of the fog and into the heat of the conflict. The air reeked of blood and war. A scene of utter chaos and carnage greeted their eyes. Their attention was drawn to a wrecked vehicle with a man screaming inside while an enormous black panther attacked him through the shattered windshield.

They shifted their focus and looked to the sound of Jace’s beast. Its white pelt was covered in blood as it fought with a vengeance. Although they had taken out many hybrids, they were still severely outnumbered. Jem counted at least a dozen or more. Despite the grim situation, he refused to give up. He would die fighting if that’s what it took. His family needed every ally they could spare if any of them hoped to survive this bloodbath.

The second Jem blasted a blazing fireball from the palm of his hand, flames torched several of their enemies and filled the air with smoke and death.

In the speed of a blur, Steven tackled a monstrous hybrid the size of two Breedline wolves without it even registering his movement. He had one arm locked around the creature’s throat as it thrashed and struggled against his tight grip. With a forceful twist, he snapped its neck, sending the unholy creature to its death.

To be continued...
 
 

 




A list of terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline wolf who has killed with the intent of evil. They can never shift back into their human form.

THE BEAST - It is the second-born son of the Chiang-Shih demon. When provoked into a rage, he will shift into the Beast instead of the Breedline wolf. The Beast is also known as the Great White due to his white fur and enormous, two-footed stature. One bite from the Beast has enough venom to kill the Chiang-Shih demon, leaving the soul of the person the demon possessed unharmed.

THERIOMORPH - They are born with the genes of a Breedline, but do not shift into a wolf. They shapeshift into an enormous black panther. They possess powers of mind manipulation and random visions of the future. They must use the drug dopamine to suppress their urges. Their eye color shifts into a bright lavender when their Theriomorph nature takes over. In some cases, the Breedline see them as a threat to their species.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Kyle Jones - He is a Breedline species that resides in the California Covenant. Celina Baldolf is his bonded mate. He's a mechanic and plays bass in the rock band Chaos.

Casey Barton - He is a Theriomorph and lives in the California Covenant. He is a clothing model and plays backup bass and keyboards in the band Chaos.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Steven Pasquale (a.k.a. Steven Craven) - He inherited the genes of a Breedline and an Adalwolf. He is Tessa Fairchild's fraternal twin and is Abigail Winthrop's bonded mate.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.