General Fiction posted June 7, 2020 Chapters:  ...67 68 -69- 70... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie's rescue plans come together.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 29 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Tuesday afternoon. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 14 days.

Ending of Previous Post:

Simon stood. "Later. It's time for us to leave. Let's just say Mac does a lot of amazing things but cooking isn't one of them. If Logan wants to eat, he cooks." Trey started to speak, but Simon continued, "I promise food on the way." He faced Logan. "See you in a little while."

Trey and Simon left.

Jose's eyes met Logan's, as he said, "I know you're hurting. It didn't enter my head, but when you went to the funeral home, I should've come and stayed with Mac. I'm sorry."

"I tried to get her to go with me, but she insisted it should be family only. I should've forced her to come."

"I'm sure you've learned by now you can't force Mac to do anything. I just hope her stubbornness doesn't get her killed this time."

Logan closed his eyes. "Me too."

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 29 PART 2

Once everyone arrived at a warehouse, Bill opened the padlocked door. "Inside are an unmarked van and enough fire power to take down a small country."

Walking over to a counter, Logan held up a device. "What's this?"

"Cameras. I want each of you to wear body cameras. That way if anything comes into question, we have documentation."

The men nodded, but Trey teased, "Sure glad we didn't have to wear this while on active duty."

Simon used his finger to cross his lips. "Shh, the D.A, doesn't want to hear things like that."

"We'll do whatever's necessary to get Mac back," added Logan. "That being said, we'll try not to kill her captors so we can find who's in charge."

"I expect that." Bill held up another device. "These are communication devices. I need constant communication in case I have to legally cover your butts. Understand?" He stepped away and answered his phone. "Good." He hung up. "We have a possible site."

"Finally! This waiting has been frustrating." Logan checked his watch. "I say we hit it at O-three-hundred hours. What about you guys?"

Simon started to speak, but paused, then continued, "I say closer to O-five-thirty hours. The reason-we don't have night vision googles and it'll still be dark. We might need the predawn light."

Logan nodded. "You're right. We all in agreement?" After everybody agreed, he said, "Okay, I've sort of planned this out. But I need your brains. Mine isn't fully functional. Please add things I'm missing. Jose, you'll drive and stay with the van. Your job is communication. You make sure we aren't missing anything. If needed, make sure the ambulance arrives and..." he glanced at Bill, "the helicopter gives us reports of any incoming vehicles or men. We don't want additional surprises, especially since we don't know what to expect."

"We need to be ready in case there are additional hostages. We have no clue what's there," added Simon. "We also don't have any idea how many are guarding her."

"Or how well armed they are." Trey held up an automatic weapon. "They're probably armed with these."

Bill pointed to bullet proof vests. "I hope you won't need these, but just in case."

Logan agreed, "I hope we don't either. I know it's hot, but everybody wears them. Got it?" He paused, "Simon and Trey, we need to be ready for anything. We've been in enough extraction missions that we'll know how to proceed." He scanned the area. "At O-five hundred hours tomorrow, we'll meet here. When we leave in a few minutes, Trey, you go home with Simon. Jose, come home with me, hang around a while, then leave."

"You want me to pick you up in the morning?" asked Jose.

"No. I'm usually followed. That's the reason I drove around in high traffic areas before we came here. I wanted to make sure we lost anybody following." Logan released a deep breath. "I'll go for a run, as usual. About six miles from the apartment is a gas station/convenience store. I usually go in and buy water. I'll do it again but this time I'll sneak out the back employee door and meet you three blocks to the right. I think that'll confuse my detail. What do you think?"

Jose grinned. "It confused me. Won't they think it's suspicious you're running that early?"

"My first run is usually that time of day or earlier." Logan chuckled. "They hate it too." He paused. "I really don't want any communication from now on. I feel, no I'm sure we're being watched. Ask all questions now or hold them until tomorrow when we meet again."

Silence.

Trey said, "Logan, I feel it's appropriate to say our prayer. We can reflect on it tonight."

Simon nodded in agreement, as Logan addressed Bill's questioning look, "The Special Forces Prayer. It's said before every mission. It was written in 1961 by Army Chaplin, John Stevey. He was assigned to the Green Berets stationed at Fort Bragg. They were due to ship out to Vietnam, to Laos to be precise, to train soldiers. The commanding officer was General William Yarborough. He wanted Stevey to write a prayer that would remind the men at all times of the spiritual nature of their mission. We've kept that tradition."

Bill nodded, "Go ahead."

The men bowed their heads and said in unison,
" ALMIGHTY GOD, WHO IS THE AUTHOR OF
LIBERTY AND THE CHAMPION OF THE
OPPRESSED, HEAR OUR PRAYER.

WE, THE MEN OF SPECIAL FORCES,
ACKNOWLEDGE OUR DEPENDENCE UPON THEE
IN THE PRESERVATION OF HUMAN FREEDOM.

GO WITH US AS WE SEEK TO DEFEND THE
DEFENSELESS AND TO FREE THE ENSLAVED.

MAY WE EVER REMEMBER OUR NATION, WHOSE
MOTTO IS "IN GOD WE TRUST," EXPECTS THAT
WE SHALL ACQUIT OURSELVES WITH HONOR,
THAT WE MAY NEVER BRING SHAME UPON OUR
FAITH, OUR FAMILIES, OUR FELLOW MEN.

GRANT US WISDOM FROM THE MIND, COURAGE
FROM THE HEART, STRENGTH FROM THE
ARM, AND PROTECTION BY THE HAND.

IT IS FOR THEE THAT WE DO BATTLE, AND TO
THEE BELONGS THE VICTOR'S CROWN.
FOR THINE IS THE KINGDOM, AND THE POWER
AND GLORY, FOREVER.

AMEN
"

Silence followed as each man reflected on their own thoughts.

After a few moments, Logan said, "Stay safe. We'll meet here tomorrow." He tapped each man's shoulder as they left.

*****
As he parked at the townhouse, Logan said, "Jose, do you have any kind of a duffle bag in your car?" After he nodded, Logan continued, "Good. Bring it inside. We'll need it."

Once inside, Logan walked over to the kitchen. "You have to be hungry. I'll fix us something and then refill your bag."

"What goes in the bag?" asked Jose.

"Clothes. When you pick me up from the convenience store, I'll be in workout clothes. Not suitable for a rescue mission."

Jose laughed. "I hadn't thought of that." He paused. "I know you and Mac have gotten close." He waited for a reaction. When he didn't get one, he continued, "I love Mac too, in a different way. I'm a safe person if you need to talk about it."

Logan studied him, started to speak, and then turned away.

"I don't understand how you can remain emotionless. If this was Lucy, it'd be tearing me up inside. It is now, because Mac means a lot to me. She's a close friend. Is it part of your training?"

Setting a plate of sandwiches and a salad on the table, Logan sat. "I hope this is all right." His eyes met Jose's. "To be honest, I'm a mess inside. Yes, my training has taught me to remain emotionless. This is the first time it's failed me. I'm not sure how to handle it. I'm used to always being in control."

*****
After Jose left, Logan cleaned the kitchen and then paced the room. It sure it quiet around here. He walked over to the refrigerator and glanced through things Mac had hung on it. He dialed a phone number. "Hello Joanie, it's Logan. I hope you don't mind me calling. Mac had your number lying around."

"Not at all. What can I do for you?"

"I was wondering how Edger is?"

"He's fine. Dr. White said he'd make a full recovery. I think he misses Mac. He looks sad."

"I'm sure he does. They were very close. I don't hear Arlo barking. Is he okay?"

"He's also especially quiet. I think both dogs really miss her." Joanie paused. "I have a feeling they aren't the only ones who miss her. How are you doing?"

"Fine."

"No, you're not. I can tell by your voice. Would you like me to come over?"

"No!" he yelled. "Sorry. I didn't mean it like it sounded. I don't want you put in danger. You're safer at home."

"You know you're not responsible for Mac getting kidnapped, right?"

"My gut told me something was wrong. I tried to get her to come with me."

"We both know how stubborn she can be. This time it put her in danger, and that's not your fault."

"I'd better go. Thank you for telling me how the dogs are doing."

"Logan, wait." Joanie hushed. "I know you have feelings for Mac. Her feelings for you are just as strong. She was preparing a special dinner for you. You know her adversity for cooking, but she wanted to and was looking forward to doing it for you. What does that tell you?"

He chuckled. "That she was really tired of doing dishes."

"Logan, you're smarter than that."

"I understand what you're saying."

"I hope so. I feel in my gut Mac will be all right, and you'll get to her in time." Joanie silenced. "Bill just walked in the door. I'm betting he wants dinner. If you need to talk, please call."

"Good night." After Logan hung up, he sat on the couch and channel surfed. There's nothing on. The Cards aren't playing. Tonight's the All-Star game. I don't feel like watching. He turned off the TV but continued to stare at the blank screen.

After a few minutes, he took out his phone and searched for a number. "Hello Colonel Paige, its Major Nelson." A few niceties were exchanged before he got to the point. "I was wondering if you still have friends at Scott Airforce Base." Silence. "Good. The reason I'm calling is I need a drone to fly over a specific area." Silence. "Yes, Sir, tomorrow at O-five-thirty. I'll text you the coordinates." Again silence. "I need to know how many warm bodies are there."

Logan cleared his throat during the silence. "Sir, you might be better off not knowing what I'm doing, but I can assure you the District Attorney's office has blessed off on it." A long pause. "Thank you, Sir. Once you get the okay, I'll send the coordinates." After a long sigh, he put the phone away. Hopefully he can pull that off. It would be good to know how many people we're dealing with. I don't have a sniper handy.


Please help!!! Should the Special Forces prayer be included or just mention it happened. I have played with that area for months. Please let me know what you think. I trust my reviewers opinion. Below is more information for you. Thank you.



Chaplin Stevey said the General requested that it be a prayer that would appeal to all the men, whatever their faith and that it should be short enough that the men could carry it as a wallet sized card. To comply with that request the prayer makes no mention of Christ and has since been carried in the wallets -- and the hearts -- of Special Forces soldiers, and their family and friends, ever since.

The Special Forces prayer is also a part of a majestic stained glass window in the JFK Memorial Chapel at Fort Bragg and is included in the specially issued bibles that the soldiers carry. It is also, with the army's full blessing, featured on a number of merchandise items that are sold to support Special Forces soldiers and their families.





Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murder.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much late



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you google imagines for a photo of a special forces extraction. This post is a little under 1700 words. I really appreciate your help. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.