Supernatural Fiction posted May 26, 2020 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Chapter of THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedine series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Chaos Below

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch mistakes, or something doesn't sound right, please let me know. Enjoy & stay safe!
Take a sneak look back into a scene of the fifth Novel of the Breedline series... THE IMMORTAL. 

In the heavens above, the Creator watched all the chaos below, realizing he had no choice but to intervene.

When he sensed an approaching angel, he looked up as Cronus gracefully descended from above.

As his boots landed on solid ground, Cronus dropped to one knee and lowered his gaze. “My Lord…” he said, tucking in his giant wings. 

Cronus was a loyal and devoted warrior, willing to give his life to protect the heavens and all of God’s creations. With the power of the sword of truth, and the ability to use his body as a shield, his purpose for existence was to serve the Creator in war against demons and evil havoc on earth.

“There’s not much time,” the Creator said. “My children on earth depend on you. Choose four of your best soldiers and prepare for war. Do not destroy the Fury. Render them powerless and bring them to me.” 

“Yes, my Lord...” Cronus said. “We will not fail you.”

Determination pulsed from the angel as his giant wings carried him to the In-Between where all the battle angels guarded heaven’s gate. Before Cronus got to his destination, he had come to a decision. By far, Lailah was his first pick. Her special gift would be essential in successfully rendering the Fury powerless. She possessed the power to shape and manipulate holy flames. She used her fiery wings to trap and immobilize their enemies rather than killing them outright. It was especially effective against demons and other evil supernatural beings. Although, this mission would involve someone from her past. Someone she dearly loved.

Icarus was his second choice. He was new to the group, but his love and loyalty toward the Creator never once faltered. Gifted with the power of telekinesis, he could influence, manipulate, and move matter using his mind. It also gave him the capability to absorb and convert energy which was very resourceful in physical combat.

Cronus chose Helios—a descendent of a mighty African king—for his third pick. He was the biggest and deadliest of all the Creator’s battle angels. The tips of his giant wings were shaped like knives, capable of shredding through skin and bone. Helios was born without vocal cords, but he could communicate with his mind.

Lastly, his fourth choice was no ordinary angel. Frigg was one of God’s originals, serving as a battle angel for more than a century. With a personality bigger than life, and a doppelganger of Billy Idol—sporting the same trademark bleached spiked hair—Frigg still had a few of his human weaknesses. He loved rock-n-roll, cheeseburgers and old classic movies. Aside from a few bad habits and a smart mouth, the Creator gifted him with the unique power of shapeshifting. Frigg could transform and reshape himself into any living thing.

Each of the Creator’s indigenous battle angels, on average, stood ten feet tall. Some however, towered to the height of twelve feet with a more muscular build. All were tattooed with unique warrior markings, wore armor typical of ancient heroes with swords associated with a long-gone empire. Their intimidating giant wings were black, nothing like the majestic white wings of a guardian angel. Even though they did not have a golden halo hovering their heads, the battle angels were particularly fond of all humans. They considered themselves humanity’s special protectors.  
  
After Cronus summoned his four warriors and prepared them for their task ahead, he asked to speak with Lailah in private.

“There is no other angel I admire more than you,” Cronus said. “I have faith in your strength and ability to help us win this battle against the Fury.”

Lailah frowned and said, “I get the feeling this isn’t a pep talk just to build my confidence.”   

“There’s something you need to know before we leave,” Cronus said. “This involves your brother.”

“Manuel—” she gasped. “Is he okay?”

“Hold on.” Cronus held up a halting hand. “He’s fine. But I want to warn you. He will be at the place we are going into battle.”

“What… why?”

“Manuel is a homicide detective, and he’s been thrown into the middle of all this.”

“But… what about the Breedline? Does he know about our father’s bloodline?”

“Yes.” Cronus nodded.

“I… I have to protect him.”

“We’ll do everything we can to ensure your brother’s safety.” Cronus placed his hand on her shoulder. “I give you my word.”

“Thank you, Cronus. So, what if Manuel recognizes me?”

“Then maybe he’ll finally have peace with your death.”

Lailah nodded in silence, and then lowered her head.

“Lailah… look at me.”

When her weary eyes met his, he pinned her with a hard stare and said, “Remember, the survival of God’s children depends on us. Can I count on you to be focused?”

“Yes, commander.”

“Warriors…” Cronus called out. “I need everyone to gather around.”

When Helios, Icarus, and Frigg gathered together, Cronus looked to his warriors and said, “Soldiers of war… are you prepared to fight in battle?”

The response was immediate. “I’m in,” Icarus said, and Helios nodded silently.

“Oh, bloody hell… I guess,” Frigg grumbled. “Even though I’ll be missing my favorite classic of all time.”

Everyone turned to Frigg, who sported a pouty lip with his arms crossed.

Icarus looked at Cronus and said, “Can I please have permission to beat him?”

Cronus rolled his eyes. “As soon as we get back.”

Icarus smirked and Helios cracked a smile.

“I swear…” Frigg groaned. “One of these days… I’m going to put in a request for another position. Maybe I’ll be a guardian angel.”

Lailah and Icarus busted into laughter. Even Helios chuckled silently.

Frigg furrowed his brows. “You guys suck.”

“Okay… that’s enough,” Cronus said. “Time is ticking. We have a battle waiting.”

To be continued...

 




A reference for terms, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.