Supernatural Fiction posted May 13, 2020 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Chapter of Unleashed Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Out of the Shadows

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
This is a sneak peek chapter into my third novel of the Breedline series, Unleashed Chaos. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Due to all the craziness going on in the world, I have a big work schedule change and not much time to write in my new novel, THE CURSE. So, I've decided to place some of my previous works of my Novels of the Breedline series here. I hate to not share here. It's been my life for six years now and I truly feel incomplete without FanStory and all the talented writers here. You have all been such a great help in my writing. I am currently re-editing all my previous novels along with this one. If you notice something that needs work or typos, please let me know. Your feedback is so helpful. Enjoy!  

Located in downtown San Francisco…

 
As Steven Pasquale rode in the back of a packed bus, he noticed a man across the aisle that appeared odd. He was pale and thin-boned, wearing dark-tinted glasses and a long, black trench coat. Every now and then, the creepy looking guy would glance at Steven from out of the corner of his eye. It looked as if he was watching his every move. Then it dawned on Steven. Could the man be one of Dr. Autenburg’s hired henchmen? With his nerves on pins and needles, he quickly decided to get off at the next stop.

When Steven climbed out, the streets looked deserted. That’s when he realized he’d gotten off in a bad part of town. After a half-hour of searching for a place that was open, he finally found a hotel. He’d almost walked past it, thinking it was just an old, abandoned building before he noticed the neon sign. The vacancy light flickered on and off, buzzing endlessly as if it was on the verge of burning out. The sign above the run-down entrance was hard to read due to the worn paint.  

Steven went on full alert, scanning his surroundings before making the decision to go inside. For some reason, a cold chill washed over him. He stopped at the entrance and looked up. He noticed the windows had been boarded and the stone structure had eroded from the city’s pollution. It was obvious the building had been neglected for years. The humid air suddenly stirred, sending trash from the sidewalk into the street. The air smelled of garbage and something else. Something thick and sour that filled his throat and made him sick to his stomach. Shifting back to focus, he noticed several streetlights were out, though the one closest to the hotel’s front window cast a dim glow over cracked glass.

Where were all the people? Steven wondered. Although it was two in the morning, in San Francisco, the city never looked this deserted. He swallowed back his nerves and reached for the door. When he stepped inside, he looked for someone at the front desk but found it unattended. The place looked haunted… cursed. He spotted a bell on the counter and as he moved toward it, his pulse quickened with each step. The instant he started to ring it, a growl froze his hand in place. His heart hammered inside his chest. For a second, he wondered if he’d imagined it.

Finally, he found the courage to look. Slowly, he turned around and called out, “Hello… is anyone there?”

Out of nowhere, a dark silhouette stepped from the shadows. As it came closer, Steven recognized the shadowed figure. It was Dr. Markus Ludwig, a twisted colleague of Dr. Hans Autenburg. He wore a black trench coat and a flat-brimmed hat. Following alongside the mad physician was a deranged-looking man. He had pale skin and tattoos covering his bald head. A snarl marred his unsightly face, revealing the tips of sharp-pointed teeth. The guy looked at Steven with pure hatred.

To his surprise, another dark figure pushed their way through the shadows with the swiftness of a serpent and stood on the opposite side of Dr. Ludwig. Steven recognized him as the same creepy man that sat across from him on the bus, except he wasn’t wearing the dark-tinted glasses. He focused on Steven with blood-red eyes and a smug look on his face. 

Steven stood in silence with a sudden urge to shove his fist through the creep’s chest and wipe that grin off his face forever.

“Hello Steffen,” Dr. Ludwig finally said in a German accent. “Your time has run out. Come vith us peacefully, and no harm vill be brought to you.”

Steven shook his head and took a few steps back. “You’re not taking me back,” he said through gritted teeth. “I’d rather die than go back to that hellhole. I’m through living like an animal trapped in a cage. I’m no longer your science project.”

Dr. Ludwig lifted his chin and let out a seedy, bone-chilling chuckle. Then, his humor quickly turned to fury. When the mad physician snapped his fingers, two enormous creatures emerged from the shadows. It was then Steven realized what they were. They were one of Dr. Autenburg’s specimens he’d created. A Breedline hybrid of some kind.

With dread curdling in the pit of his stomach, Steven watched as the two unnatural hybrids stalked forward on all fours, snarling and growling.

Seconds later, Dr. Ludwig and his cronies looked at Steven in stunned disbelief. His transformation came instantly. Steven’s skin took on a luminous sheen, expanding until his frame grew twice the size. Powerful muscles bulged atop his bare chest and claws jutted from his hands and feet.

He charged head-on and pummeled into one of the hybrids. After he easily snapped its neck, the second hybrid raced toward him with its ears flattened against its enormous head. As it struck Steven, the noise was like nothing Dr. Ludwig had ever heard. The howls of rage changed to a whimpering defeat and ended in dead silence. Without hesitation, Steven severed the hybrid’s spinal cord and threw it at Dr. Lugwig’s feet.  

The mad physician stepped behind his bald henchmen and shouted, “Shoot him!”

Before the man could fire his weapon, Steven lunged at Dr. Ludwig. A bone-cracking sound came next. Then the physician dropped to the floor with his neck twisted in an unnatural angle.

When the red-eyed henchman reacted and lunged forward, he stopped in his tracks as Steven shoved his fist through the guy’s chest cavity. As the guy fell limp to the floor, the unmistakable sound of a gun being cocked suddenly came from behind Steven.

“Don’t move,” the tatted, bald guy said.

Everything seemed to move in slow motion. As Steven whirled around at the speed of a blur and sliced the guy’s throat with his razor-sharp claws, the blast of the gun echoed like the crack of lightning. Simultaneously, the bald guy flew back with blood spurting from his throat, and Steven fell to his knees with his hand covering his chest.

Continued...
 
 

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference to terms and characters in the chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, twice the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them, and they are immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

Steven Pasquale (a.k.a. Steven Craven) - He inherited the genes of a Breedline and an Adalwolf. After taken from his mother at birth by two evil German physicians, he endured a life of endless, painful experiments. Without the knowledge of his real family, Steven finally manages to escape his captors, locating his biological parents and his fraternal twin, Tessa Fairchild. He bonds with Abbey.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.