Supernatural Fiction posted April 25, 2020 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE CURSE/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Breathless

by scongrove




Background
Thank you for taking the time to read my chapter. It's still in the working stages, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Be safe & enjoy!
Previously . . .

When five-year-old Joseph Parker witnesses his mother’s brutal death—by the hands of his abusive, alcoholic father—he mysteriously starts to hear voices in his head that changes his life forever. As this dark, soulless entity inhabits the young boy’s body, it introduces itself as the Shadow and teaches him how to survive and how to focus on one thing. To kill.

Immediately following the incident, police arrested Joseph’s father and later sentenced him to twenty years in prison. Without any other living relatives, social workers placed Joseph in foster care.  

By age thirteen, Joseph had gone through ten foster families before a psychologist placed him into a mental institution due to his psychopathic and sadistic behavior where he spent most of his adolescent years.  

Twenty-one years later, after mastering the skills of manipulation with the Shadow’s help, Joseph was back in the real world. The day the institute finally discharged him, believing he’d been cured, it wasn’t long before he landed a job as a freelance journalist at the San Francisco Chronicle and his opportunity to avenge his mother after his father was back in society living as a free man.

After Joseph tracked down his father and took his life, it was time to appease the Shadow’s ravenous appetite for human flesh. With his newfound driving force to take lives, the Shadow guides Joseph to a young girl who is alone in a bar.

When the girl leaves on foot, Joseph follows her to what appears to be a deserted street. Before he has a chance to take the girl, two men show up out of nowhere and attack her. As they drag her to a vacant building with the intention of doing her harm, the Shadow commands Joseph to kill the men and take the girl. Prepared to obey the Shadow, Joseph’s features begin to transform into something evil and demonic. As he moves in to strike, something big with speed of lightning suddenly leaps out of the fog and viciously attacks both men while the girl manages to get away. 

When Joseph realizes it’s a werewolf, he watches in stunned disbelief as it rips the girl’s attackers to pieces.
 

Continued . . .
 
Nicolas opened his eyes when Jena shifted onto her side and away from him. Then, she rolled back over, facing the ceiling. A second later, she flipped over on her stomach. Somehow, during all the tossing and turning, she wiggled out from underneath the covers. When he slowly tugged the blanket over her body, she snuggled deeper into it and let out a long sigh. 

“I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“You didn’t,” she said. “I was already awake.” 
 
“You’ve tossed and turned almost the entire night, sweetheart,” Nicolas said, stroking Jena’s arm, wishing he could do something to help clear her mind.

“I know.” She took a deep breath and rolled back over, her strong, warrior blue eyes meeting his. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.” He reached for her hand. “You want to talk about it?”

When Jena shrugged, Nicolas said, “You’re worried about that girl, aren’t you?”

Jena squeezed her eyes shut. Her forehead wrinkled as images of the girl’s terrified expression flooded her mind. It was all because of her. The poor girl must have been horrified at what she saw.

“Jena, please. Talk to me.”

She lifted her lids and looked into his lavender eyes. “All this,” her voice cracked, “wouldn’t have happened if it weren’t for me.”

Nicolas lightly squeezed her hand. “That girl was about to raped, and maybe worse. You saved her life, honey.”

As she lifted higher on her pillow, her long, golden locks fell around her shoulders in total disarray. “But you didn’t see the look on her face. She was horrified. And I’ve created more problems for the Covenant. What if the girl tells someone and this gets out to the public?”

“Trust me. Everything will be okay,” he soothed. “That’s the least of our problems. What worries me is that thing you encountered. Whatever it is, and going by your description, it sounds dangerous.”

“Well, it’s definitely not human, or it didn’t appear to be,” Jena said. “I sensed evil from it, but also something else.”

“What do you mean?”

Jena furrowed her brows. “I’m not entirely sure. It was more like a feeling of intense sorrow. An emotion you get when someone you love dies. Then I sensed something else.”

“What’s that?”

“Hunger… a hunger far more powerful than mine.” 

Nicolas looked at her bewildered. “That’s strange. And you said it appeared as though it was coming after you, right? I mean, while you were still in your human form.”

When Jena nodded, Nicolas said, “I wonder what it wanted? Do you think it was after blood?”

“I can’t be sure, but I’m pretty positive it intended to kill me at first.”

Nicolas cocked a brow. “Although, it didn’t attack you when you shifted.”

“No. It realized then I wasn’t human.”

“Do you believe this thing is hunting humans?”

Jena nodded silently.

“Tim texted me earlier,” Nicolas mentioned.

Jena looked at him concerned. “What did he say?”

“I was going to wait to tell you, but maybe now is the best time.”

“I’m already awake, so tell me.”

“The girl you saved is Detective Frank Perkins’ niece.”

“What—” 

“Hang on,” Nicolas said softly, giving her hand another squeeze. “Before you get upset, you’ll want to hear the rest.”

“Okay.” Jena sighed. “I’m listening.”

“Frank is grateful for what you did for his niece. Her name is Carrie Randall. I’ve worked with Frank on the force for more than fifteen years and during that time, I’ve got to know him and his family. Carrie has been more like a daughter to Frank and his wife Missy than anything else. You see, Carrie was Frank’s sisters’ daughter.”

“What do you mean by was? Did something happen?”

“Carrie’s parents were killed in a freak car accident when she was just five years old.”

“Oh my, gosh,” Jena gasped. “That’s awful.”

Nicolas regretfully nodded. “It was on a late Saturday night and it had been raining. They had just left Frank’s house for a family gathering on Christmas Eve. We never figured out why, maybe Carrie’s dad fell asleep, but their car went off a bridge before they made it home. There were no signs of tire marks and no evidence of another car involved. By the time first responders arrived, the vehicle had already sunk to the bottom.”

Jena shook her head. “How did Carrie manage to survive?”

“After all these years, it’s still a mystery,” Nicolas said. “A passing semi stopped when the driver saw her standing by the bridge. When the truck driver asked her what she was doing alone on the side of the road, she told him about the car accident.”

“I don’t understand.” Jena shrugged. “How did she get out of the car?”

“No one really knows,” Nicolas said. “When asked, she said a giant angel with red hair and black wings saved her. Of course, at her young age, everyone thought it was her imagination and the trauma of losing her family. And the incident gets more bizarre. Carrie was completely dry when the truck driver found her. Not even as much as a drop. It was as though she wasn’t even in the car when it went into the river.”

“That is odd,” Jena said. “Although, it sounds like the same angel that saved you.”

“Yeah, it does,” Nicolas replied. “I can’t believe it never dawned on me before. Lailah’s description is similar. During the time she was a battle angel, she did have black wings and her hair is red.”

“If indeed it was Lailah, I wonder why she saved Carrie and not her parents.”

“I don’t know.” Nicolas shook his head. “Maybe she had a reason.” 

Jena changed the subject and said, “Did Tim mention anything else?”

Nicolas nodded. “When Tim, Drakon, and Roman went to help Frank and Manuel clean up...” he paused, dreading to say the words. “…what was left of Carrie’s attackers, Frank got another call from his niece. Apparently, Carrie, along with her roommate, found her boyfriend murdered in the parking lot at her apartment building.”

“That poor girl. She must be so traumatized at this point.”

“And there’s more to the story,” Nicolas went on. “Which brings to mind that unknown thing you came in contact with.”

“Why is that?”

“Because, Tim said the guy that was murdered had his heart completely ripped from his chest cavity. I don’t know any human being capable of such, do you?”

Jena let out a deep breath. “No. It does sound unusual, and of course, it wasn’t me.”

“Tim knows you aren’t responsible,” he said in a reassuring voice. “Tessa talked to him earlier. He also mentioned a meeting here in the Covenant taking place later this morning. They want us to attend.” Nicolas reached up and stroked his hand through her long, blonde waves. “Maybe you should try to go back to sleep. You need to rest, honey.”

The softness of his touch and the southern drawl in his voice left her breathless.

“That feels wonderful,” she said, then made a soft, moaning sound. “Forget sleep.” She batted her brows. “I’d rather look at you.”

He smiled at her, loving the quirky things she sometimes said to him. Jena was his everything. Although Nicolas’s life had begun in New Orleans during the eighteenth-century, he’d adapted to living as an immortal while the world around him changed and evolved. Now, his life had taken on a new meaning since Jena had come into it. She gave him a sense of belonging and purpose that filled his heart with happiness. The first time he looked into her lovely sapphire eyes, he’d thought she was the most beautiful woman he’d ever seen. He also knew without a doubt, she was the one.  
     
Jena tilted her head a little and studied his face. God, Nicolas’s eyes were breathtaking. As she admired the rare color, it reminded her of her favorite flower. The light shade of lavender shimmered against his pale, flawless complexion and the ink-black color of his shoulder length hair. And his smooth lips were perfectly shaped. The lower one was fuller than the top. Her eyes trailed lower, below his masculine jaw and past his neck and to his perfectly, defined chest. She briefly closed her eyes, feeling as though she was going to come apart by the mere sight of him.
     
Although Jena had only known Nicolas for a short period, it felt like it had already been a lifetime. It was as if they were fated to be together forever.

Nicolas moved closer and put his lips on hers. With their mouths locked, she gazed into his half-lidded eyes and whispered, “Nicolas...” Her breathy tone was ripe with surrender. “I need you.” Her body moistened with a heated desire. To his surprise, she shifted on the bed and parted her legs as an invitation for him to ravish her.

He purred his approval and deepened the kiss. As she gasped, his tongue invaded her mouth and skillfully stroked over her own. Goosebumps prickled over her skin when his hand trailed over her bare shoulder and slowly inched down her arm. Jena closed her eyes, absorbing the feel of his caressing and sensual touch. While his hand worked its way lower, in a matter of seconds, she felt a heat bloom within her that nearly took her over the edge. She arched her back and moaned against his lips.

For a fleeting moment, he released her mouth and then shifted his body so that he was looking down into her eyes from beneath his lush, inky lashes without pressing his weight on top of her. His stare was intense and full of desire. “I love you, Jena,” he confessed. His lavender eyes were dark with need. “I’ve wanted you from the moment I first saw you.”

Before she could reply, he captured her mouth again. Without as much as a thought, she grabbed onto his shoulders, wanting to feel his warm skin and his weight on top of her. He held back for a moment, but then relaxed, realizing what she needed from him, and finally eased his body onto hers.  

It wasn’t long before Nicolas had Jena undressed, her silk nightgown gone, and her lace panties tossed aside. His body was blazing for her, stimulated by centuries of waiting to be right where he was. To be with his beloved, Jena.

After he had stripped her of what little she had on, he shrugged out of his pajama bottoms and wrapped his arms around her. He gathered her close, so close, Jena could hear the rhythm of his heart, beating wildly inside his chest.

Jena’s hands dug into the strands of his silky hair, her flushed body writhing against the warmth of his flesh. “Please,” she pled in a throaty murmur that nearly undid him.

His mouth came down over hers, kissing her as if he’d die if their lips were parted.

As they made love, gasping and panting, their intertwined bodies fit together as though they were made for each other. Jena was his destiny, and he was hers, Nicolas thought as they ascended the heights of passion.

When an hour had passed, Jena stirred from a peaceful slumber and lifted her head. “Nicolas?”

“Go back to sleep, honey,” he whispered, shifting her body so she was against his chest. “Everything is fine.”

Jena sighed when she felt his arm around her waist. Despite the fact that she was more than capable of taking care of herself, lying in Nicolas’s arms gave her a sense that no matter what tragic situation she faced, she could survive anything. He enabled the strength she needed to face her fears and be whoever she wanted to be.
 
To be continued . . .

 




This is not part of the chapter. A reference to terms and characters, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs their laws and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. She rules over all the Breedline Covenants. She is their absolute law.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have a book of laws. If disobeyed, they must face the Breedline council. Punishment for taking another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will instantly shift into a rogue wolf for life and shunned by the Breedline Covenants.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

Tessa Fairchild (a.k.a. the Breedline Queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she shifts into the new Breedline queen. She is an inspiring artist.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species, and the head council of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species. Enraged by his first bonded mate's death at the hands of her father, Drakon breaks the Breedline's True Law and kills him. After he is shunned by the Covenant and forced to live as a rogue wolf, he's promised his humanity back if he joins the Chiang-Shih demon's army. When Drakon discovers the demon's plans to destroy all humans and half-breeds, he betrays him and joins forces with the Breedline. As time passes, he bonds with another mate, Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil. Hired as a bodyguard for Valkin Steele - a billionaire funding a group of unethical scientist's research - he later learns of Steele's underground sex-trafficking and illegal drug and weapons trade, and informs the Breedline Covenant. He also forms a team of Breedline soldiers who work for a private Special Ops group contracted by the military for missions that no one else can or will do to help put an end to Valkin Steele's corrupt organization. He resides in the California Breedline Covenant along with team members, Lawrence, Bull, Justice and Lena.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - Raised by a single mother, Manuel never knew his real father. At age thirteen, his older sister Lailah was murdered, and never solved. Consumed by Lailah's death, Manuel chooses a career in police enforcement hoping someday he will catch her killer and bring justice to his sister. Now in his fifties - living his life as a bachelor and a homicide detective - he discovers he is not entirely human, and has inherited his father's Breedline genetics.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner, and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.