General Fiction posted April 26, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The battle for Og's people continues.

Og and Ugg ~ The Attack, Part 2

by Sally Law

Story of the Month Contest Winner 

The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.

Previously, in Part One.

The afternoon sun reached the red rocks, setting them ablaze. The group climbed up and up, relieved to be there long before sunset.

Og had stacked stones of different sizes at the narrowed path, just as it turned upward towards the cave. "Just a little more, we are almost there!" Og said, encouraging them along.

Ugg's dogs were stirred and came down the path to greet him and the newcomers. "Don't be afraid, Ugg's first children are here to welcome us!"

The group had just come upon the cave when the dogs sighted a threat. Og handed the small she-creature to her mother and grabbed his spear. He and the other men ran back down the path with the dogs.

Og was not far from the base of the mountain, when he saw them--an armed group on horseback surveying the mountainous path to his home. They had followed the group to the foothills.

Young Og took command. "Go back to the cave quickly, and guard the entrance. I need one of you here with me and the dogs. I have a plan."

The men did as Og said.

Suddenly, Ugg appeared, carrying a contraption Og had never seen before.

"Ugg, what are you doing here? Get back to the cave!" She picked up a stone and loaded the sling. "Watch this." Ugg circled her head eight times and hurled the stone with acute accuracy. She took down the leader of the mob, knocking him off his horse. Og had forgotten his mate had spent many years in the cleft of the rocks, and had fought off the ferocious mountain cats.

"Again, Ugg," shouted Og. He made his way to the stacked stones and began to push them down the hill, causing a shower of rocks below. The rest of the tribesmen joined in the fight. The retreat was sounded by their attackers as they galloped away, leaving the mountain area.

But, the marauders weren't deterred for long and had regrouped. Og and Ugg cried to the great God of heaven when they realized the maurauders were headed in the direction of the valley tribe.

********************

Part Two~

Velvet skies gave way to white streams of light hastening to the earth. A downpour followed, cooling the land. The heavenly display was viewed by Og and Ugg from their home in the cleft of the rocks.

"Go inside and ready the group for sleep. I must keep watch. The creator of the heavens sees what is happening and cries this very night. I will call, and hope for an answer," said Og, kissing Ugg on the cheek.

Og's heart was filled with pain as the marauders rode in the direction of the valley tribe. Many families had stayed behind with the elder, and were expected to come to the high cliffs by tomorrow. How to warn them of the approaching danger weighed heavily upon his mind.

The elder had become kin to Og since his father died. He and Og met weekly to discuss tribal concerns and matters of the heart. He passed a life of wisdom to young Og concerning the she-creatures. Blessed with many she-creatures of his own, he knew of their deep emotions and odd musings. Yet, he held them in high esteem.

"She-creatures are full of mystery, like a deep well. You cannot see how deep until you lower the vessel," the elder would say on many occasions.

Ugg was everything Og had hoped for and more. She was beautiful inside and out. But like a deep well, Og had to search for her soul and draw it out. The thought of losing her and the twins troubled him. Adding to his fears, was the threat to the elder and the tribes. There were so many young ones among them. Tears came like the rain, and Og was drenched.

The storm continued, illuminating the sky above the fleeing horsemen. They appeared to be headed for cover near the valley stream.

Og knew the low places very well, especially the well-stocked gathering areas. The familiar path down the backside of the cliffs to Ugg's wildflowers bore his footprints.

As soon as Og formed his plan, hope returned. Og will need someone fearless to go with him on foot. The marauders are skilled warriors, and equal in number to their tribesmen.

He decided to choose Ugg. She was strong, smart, and from what he saw earlier, had the eyes of an eagle. Her aim with the slingshot was exact, taking down the leader of the mob.

Og resolved that the twins were his first concern, and left the decision open to Ugg. She accepted to go with Og and two other tribesmen.

Ugg's fastest dogs were summoned to lead them.

Down the back path they went as soon as the rain slowed. A full moon revealed itself, illuminating their way towards the marauders' camp.

A stray Arabian was spotted, wandering away from the other horses. He was a fine specimen, black as the night with a long mane of hair. The steed had an unearthly presence about him.

The blaze from their campfire licked the adjacent willow trees, without concern. Og's small group detected very little movement, watching, and biding their time.

"Do they not see the fire blazing so closely to the trees?" asked Og in a whisper.

"Let us keep going," said Ugg. "We will reach the tribe and bring them back to the cliffs by morning. This group has been riding for days, and sleeping like dead souls."

Og circled the area and returned, riding the Arabian. The magnificent creature would easily hold both Ogg and Ugg. The group divided, and Og's party hastened to reach the valley tribes and bring them to the mountain cliffs.

Rain was in the night sky once again. The storm had come about.

Finally, they sighted a torch flickering in the vast blackness.

Og dismounted and ran to the elder's tent, surprised he was stirred and gathering his family. "I knew you were coming, my son" said the elder.

"We must depart now. Bring only what is needful," said Og.

Ugg went from tent to tent with the same word and helped with the small ones. She mounted the horse with a loaded sling strapped to her. When everyone was accounted for, twenty in all, they departed.

The Arabian directed the way, with most of the group on foot. The wind continued to pick up, but the rain held back its fury. "It is coming from behind with a mighty rumble," said Ugg, her hair blowing wild. Og thought his mate captivating, admiring her in the moonlight.

Another group, much smaller and unfamiliar, came from the east. Two, possibly three, horsemen were seen coming at them in a full gallop.

Readying herself, Ugg shouted, "Go at them now. They expect us to retreat. Go now, Og!"

The Arabian turned and unleashed his power in a full stride, the earth torn beneath his hooves. "Yaw!" Ugg cried.

But what the approaching marauders saw was an apparition, and terrifying to them. Coming through the night appeared to be a magic horse floating above the earth. On it was a screaming she-devil with a tornado in her right hand. Lightning and thunder were all about her, eyes ablaze.

"It must be the guardian of the land! We have angered the Great Spirit! Run for your lives!!" The group disbanded, some heading back to the creek encampment to warn the others.

Slowing the horse, Og pulled back to a trot, and waited for the elder. "You were right, Ugg. We frightened them away. I don't know how, but we did." The storm immediately subsided, giving way to calm.

Og ushered each tribe member safely to the cave by sunrise, arriving just in time for Ugg to nurse Rock and Willow. "I will help you," mumbled Og. As soon as he spoke, he drifted off into deep sleep. Ugg smiled and kissed Og to arouse him, but no. He had already joined the company of the exhausted.

Ugg gathered her family close, and rested like a mother eagle on her nest.

The night of the rescue was long remembered, and a campfire story that became more exaggerated with each retelling.

The tribe remained in the cleft of the rocks for good. A peaceful city set on a high hill, raising Rock and Willow among them.



Story of the Month
Contest Winner

Recognized




https://pixabay.com/photos/rock-coast-rocky-coast-steinig-2776145/@pixabay.com.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.