Supernatural Fiction posted April 18, 2020 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE CURSE/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

A Bloody Valentine

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's still in the working stages, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe and enjoy!
Previously . . .

When five-year-old Joseph Parker witnesses his mother’s brutal death—by the hands of his abusive, alcoholic father—he mysteriously starts to hear voices in his head that changes his life forever. As this dark, soulless entity inhabits the young boy’s body, it introduces itself as the Shadow and teaches him how to survive and how to focus on one thing. To kill.

Immediately following the incident, police arrested Joseph’s father and later sentenced him to twenty years in prison. Without any other living relatives, social workers placed Joseph in foster care.  

By age thirteen, Joseph had gone through ten foster families before a psychologist placed him into a mental institution due to his psychopathic and sadistic behavior where he spent most of his adolescent years.  

Twenty-one years later, after mastering the skills of manipulation with the Shadow’s help, Joseph was back in the real world. The day the institute finally discharged him, believing he’d been cured, it wasn’t long before he landed a job as a freelance journalist at the San Francisco Chronicle and his opportunity to avenge his mother after his father was back in society living as a free man.

After Joseph tracked down his father and took his life, it was time to appease the Shadow’s ravenous appetite for human flesh. With his newfound driving force to take lives, the Shadow guides Joseph to a young girl who is alone in a bar.

When the girl leaves on foot, Joseph follows her to what appears to be a deserted street. Before he has a chance to take the girl, two men show up out of nowhere and attack her. As they drag her to a vacant building with the intention of doing her harm, the Shadow commands Joseph to kill the men and take the girl. Prepared to obey the Shadow, Joseph’s features begin to transform into something evil and demonic. As he moves in to strike, something big with speed of lightning suddenly leaps out of the fog and viciously attacks both men while the girl manages to get away. 

When Joseph realizes it’s a werewolf, he watches in stunned disbelief as it rips the girl’s attackers to pieces.
 

Continued . . .
 
Tim’s phone went off not two minutes after Manuel and Frank drove away. As he retrieved it from his back pocket, he looked at the caller ID. The moment he saw who was calling, he quickly swiped to answer. “Tessa, is everything all right?”

“I know you guys are busy,” Tessa replied on the other end, “but we’ve got a bit of another situation on our hands.”

“What’s going on?”

“I just spoke with Jena. The Detectives were right. She’s the one that killed those two men. Jena said she had no choice. Her instincts drove her to save a young girl from being raped, and possibly murdered. But that’s not the only reason I’m calling.” She exhaled a deep breath. “Not long after Jena saved the girl, she came in contact with something unusually odd.”

“Unusually odd?” Tim queried.

“It’s hard to explain,” Tessa said, “but Jena described it as some kind of supernatural being. She said it looked evil and inhuman, like a man with demonic features. His eyes were entirely black, almost soulless.”

“Did Jena kill it?”  
 
“No,” Tessa replied. “But she spoke to it.”

“What did this thing say?”

“When she asked what he was, his answer was strange. He told her we are exceptional and magnificent creatures. It was as though he addressed himself like he was more than one person.”    
                
“That’s odd,” Tim said. “I wonder why?”

“Jena thought the exact same. Unfortunately, she didn’t get the chance to find out because there were people not far away and she didn’t want to be seen in her current condition. Although, she did mention that this thing acted as though he was going to attack her while she was in her human form.”

“Hmmm,” Tim muttered. “That’s interesting. I’m guessing Jena shifted into her creature.”

“Yep,” Tessa simply said.

“I wonder why he didn’t try to attack her after she shifted.”

“Maybe this thing is like her,” Tessa pointed out. “It hunts only humans.”

“Could be,” Tim said, nodding against the phone. “So did Jena mention anyone else other than the two men that attacked that girl?”

“No, why?”

“The girl Jena saved was Detective Frank Perkins’s niece, Carrie Randall, and she just called Frank again. Carrie said her and her roommate found her boyfriend in the parking lot at their apartment with his chest ripped open and his heart missing.”

“Oh, my, gosh,” Tessa gasped. “That’s awful. Do you need more help? I can send Jace and Jem your way.”

“No, but thanks anyway. Between me, Drakon, and Roman, we’ve got this covered.”

“What do you think about this demonic creature Jena described?” Tessa asked. “Do you think it’s linked to the boyfriend’s death?” 

“It could be. We’re headed that way to meet up with Detective Perkins and his partner, Detective Sanchez. I’ll let you know what we find out.” Before he ended the call, Tim said, “Would you ask Jena if she picked up a purse where Frank’s niece was attacked?”

“Sure,” Tessa replied. “Did it belong to her or something?”

“Yeah, and it’s missing. Frank said his niece told him she dropped it when those guys attacked her, but it’s not here. We thought maybe Jena may have picked it up.”

“I’ll ask her.”

“Thanks, Tessa.”

There was a brief moment of silence and then Tessa finally said, “How are we going to deal with Frank’s niece? She obviously saw Jena’s creature. I’m worried she’ll stir up the werewolf theory again.”

“I talked to Frank and he seems positive his niece will keep this quiet. But there’s also another person who knows.”

“Who?”

“Carrie’s roommate, Jessica Phillips. She was the one who contacted Frank. And she’s also a witness to this other murder we’re fixing to deal with.”   

“Oh well, there’s nothing we can do about it now.” Tessa sighed into the phone. “We’ll discuss all this later. Call if you need anything.” 

When Tim ended the call, muddled pieces of the conversation with Tessa kept surfacing in his brain as he drove to Carrie’s apartment complex, now a crime scene. His nerves, along with Drakon and Roman’s, were on edge. His fingers gripped the wheel with enough force that his knuckles showed white over the wheel of the SUV. What in the hell were they dealing with now? Was this a demon or some type of new creature they’d never heard of? He wondered what the damn thing wanted, and if it could be destroyed? If so, how? To make matters worse, they had to deal with Frank’s niece and her roommate. Carrie had witnessed Jena in her werewolf form and relayed what she saw to her friend, Jessica. How were they going to deal with this shit storm? It was crucial that their species remained secret from humans, although they had made a few exceptions in the past with Jace and Jem’s adopted parents and Detective Frank Perkins. Which, all things considered, he was responsible for keeping their world safe and protected. While Tim tried to come up with a solution, the Breedline True Laws came to mind. Rules were designed for a good reason, not to be broken.
      
“So, this demon possessed person,” Drakon spoke out, breaking the silence. “Or whatever the hell you call it.” His deep voice seemed a little agitated. “Did Jena find out what it wants?”

Tim shook his head. “As far as we know, no one has a clue to what it wants or what it is for that matter.”

Roman glanced at Tim. “Do you think this demonic thing had something to do with this other dead guy?” 

“Who knows?” Tim shrugged. “I’m not throwing the possibility out the window.”

As always, Tim’s faith in God remained strong, but now, as he pulled into the parking lot and parked by Frank’s unmarked car, he decided that if there truly was a supreme deity, today they needed the His help. He was desperate at this point.

When Tim stepped out of the vehicle, his heart filled with dread. He spotted an area roped off with yellow tape where officers were working the crime scene. Obviously, Detective Perkins and his partner had chosen to report the incident. His throat tightened as he, Drakon, and Roman moved closer. A wide stain of red covered the window of a Porsche and over the ground where a body lay behind the roped-off crime scene.

Tim noticed two young women standing away from the scene. One of them appeared to be crying, leaning for support against the other girl.

Detective Frank Perkins approached them with a grim look on his face. “Sorry, Tim. I know you wanted us to wait until you got here, but we had to call this one in. We made a positive ID on the victim. His name is Kevin Rossi. He’s the son of Rossi’s Exotic Car Dealerships.”

“No need to apologize, Detective,” Tim said. “You’re just doing your job.”

Frank nodded. “I know one thing for sure.” He kept his voice low. “Jessica was right about the guy’s missing heart. It’s the damnedest thing. The victim has an entry wound beginning at the upper portion of his back that exits clean through his chest cavity.”

“Damn,” Roman chimed in. “Who in the hell could do something like that?”

“You mean, what,” Drakon commented. 

“Do you think this could be Jena?” Frank asked.

Tim shook his head. “I got a call from Tessa before we got here. She said Jena told her about killing those two guys that attacked your niece, but she didn’t do this. Although, Jena did mention something rather strange.”

“Strange how?” Manuel said as he walked up behind his partner, catching the butt end of the conversation.

“Jena was confronted by some kind of unknown thing,” Tim went on. “She said it looked like a man with demonic-like features. She sensed it was going to attack her while she was in her human form, but when she shifted, it stood down.”

“Well, hell,” Manuel shot back. “I don’t doubt it. I’ve seen the creature Jena shifts into. The sight of it would make the bravest of any man piss his damn pants.”

“So, you think this thing killed Mr. Rossi?” Frank asked.

“We don’t know for sure,” Tim said. “But it’s definitely a possibility.”

“Shit,” Manuel grumbled. “Just when I thought things were starting to get back to normal.”

“It’s never normal in the Breedline world,” Drakon said. “And now you two are part of it.”

Tim focused on Frank and said, “How’s your niece and her roommate faring?” 

“They’re pretty shaken up, but considering everything they’ve been through, especially Carrie, I think they’ll be okay after they get some rest. I’ll stop by later to check on them.”

“It wouldn’t hurt if they talked to someone, particularly your niece,” Tim suggested. “After everything that’s happened, she could be suffering from trauma.”

Frank shot Tim a confused look. “I thought you wanted the girls to keep this quiet.”

“I do, but I was referring to Dr. Helen Carrington. I can set it up with Helen if your niece agrees to see her. Of course, it will be confidential and free of charge.”

“Okay.” Frank slowly nodded. “That sounds like a good idea. I’ll talk to her about it. She did ask about those guys that attacked her. She wanted to know if they were still alive.”

Tim raised a brow. “What did you tell her?”

“I didn’t give her a definite answer. I just told her she never had to worry about them hurting her or anyone else ever again.”

“Good answer, Detective. By the way, I did ask Tessa to find out if Jena took your niece’s purse. I’ll keep you posted.”

“Thanks, Tim,” Frank replied.

Manuel’s phone beeped and he drew it from the inside of his jacket, looked at the screen, and noticed a text. “Shit,” he said through gritted teeth. “It’s Captain Hodge.” Then, he looked over at Frank. “Looks like we’ve got a long day ahead of us, partner.”

“There goes our plans for tonight,” Frank groaned. “Missy is not going to be happy about that.” He looked up at the cloud-covered sky as drops of rain began to fall. “Great. It looks like we’re about to get soaked. Why does it have to do this now?”

“You’ll have to talk to the man upstairs about that one,” Manuel said around a light chuckle. 

Frank cut him an exasperated look. “But it’s Valentine’s Day,” he ground out.

“Tell that to the freak who stole Mr. Rossi’s heart.”

Frank rolled his eyes but kept his comments to himself. Instead, he focused on the others and extended his hand. “Thanks again for helping us out.”

“No problem, Detective,” Tim said as he shook hands with Frank and reached out to Manuel. “We’re happy to help anytime.”
 
 To be continued . . .

 




This is not part of the chapter. A reference to terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense their twin's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins are so strong, they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs their laws and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. She rules over all the Breedline Covenants. She is their absolute law.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have a book of laws. If disobeyed, they must face the Breedline council. Punishment for taking another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will instantly shift into a rogue wolf for life and shunned by the Breedline Covenants.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers his birth father - who is possessed by the Chiang-Shih demon - murdered his mother when he and his twin brother were four years old. Raised by their new foster family and their Uncle Jacks, he later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast. With the help of his identical twin brother, Jem, and his bonded mate, Tessa, they help him cope with his rage to keep the Beast at bay. He's an IT engineer, and is the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electric energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tessa Fairchild (a.k.a. the Breedline Queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she shifts into the new Breedline queen. She is an inspiring artist.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species, and the head council of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species. Enraged by his first bonded mate's death at the hands of her father, Drakon breaks the Breedline's True Law and kills him. After he is shunned by the Covenant and forced to live as a rogue wolf, he's promised his humanity back if he joins the Chiang-Shih demon's army. When Drakon discovers the demon's plans to destroy all humans and half-breeds, he betrays him and joins forces with the Breedline. As time passes, he bonds with another mate, Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil. Hired as a bodyguard for Valkin Steele - a billionaire funding a group of unethical scientist's research - he later learns of Steele's underground sex-trafficking and illegal drug and weapons trade, and informs the Breedline Covenant. He also forms a team of Breedline soldiers who work for a private Special Ops group contracted by the military for missions that no one else can or will do to help put an end to Valkin Steele's corrupt organization. He resides in the California Breedline Covenant along with team members, Lawrence, Bull, Justice and Lena.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - Raised by a single mother, Manuel never knew his real father. At age thirteen, his older sister Lailah was murdered, and never solved. Consumed by Lailah's death, Manuel chooses a career in police enforcement hoping someday he will catch her killer and bring justice to his sister. Now in his fifties - living his life as a bachelor and a homicide detective -he discovers he is not entirely human, and has inherited his father's Breedline genetics.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner, and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Captain James Hodge - Unaware of the Breedline species, he is Detective Manuel Sanchez and Detective Frank Perkins superior at the San Francisco, California Police Department.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.