Supernatural Fiction posted April 11, 2020 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE CURSE/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

A Werewolf Thing

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's still in the working stages, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
Previously . . .

When five-year-old Joseph Parker witnesses his mother’s brutal death—by the hands of his abusive, alcoholic father—he mysteriously starts to hear voices in his head that changes his life forever. As this dark, soulless entity inhabits the young boy’s body, it introduces itself as the Shadow and teaches him how to survive and how to focus on one thing. To kill.

Immediately following the incident, police arrested Joseph’s father and later sentenced him to twenty years in prison. Without any other living relatives, social workers placed Joseph in foster care.  

By age thirteen, Joseph had gone through ten foster families before a psychologist placed him into a mental institution due to his psychopathic and sadistic behavior where he spent most of his adolescent years.  

Twenty-one years later, after mastering the skills of manipulation with the Shadow’s help, Joseph was back in the real world. The day the institute finally discharged him, believing he’d been cured, it wasn’t long before he landed a job as a freelance journalist at the San Francisco Chronicle and his opportunity to avenge his mother after his father was back in society living as a free man.

After Joseph tracked down his father and took his life, it was time to appease the Shadow’s ravenous appetite for human flesh. With his newfound driving force to take lives, the Shadow guides Joseph to a young girl who is alone in a bar.

When the girl leaves on foot, Joseph follows her to what appears to be a deserted street. Before he has a chance to take the girl, two men show up out of nowhere and attack her. As they drag her to a vacant building with the intention of doing her harm, the Shadow commands Joseph to kill the men and take the girl. Prepared to obey the Shadow, Joseph’s features begin to transform into something evil and demonic. As he moves in to strike, something big with speed of lightning suddenly leaps out of the fog and viciously attacks both men while the girl manages to get away. 

When Joseph realizes it’s a werewolf, he watches in stunned disbelief as it rips the girl’s attackers to pieces.
 

Continued . . .
 
 It wasn’t long before the bright headlights of a black SUV pulled in behind Frank’s unmarked car. Then, came the sounds of doors opening and closing, followed by several heavy footsteps. When Manuel caught sight of a black Mohawk, he sighed in relief, realizing it was Drakon, which meant the members of the Breedline Covenant had arrived.

So far, Manuel was still getting used to the Breedline. Finding out a secret species of people with the ability to shift into wolves as big, if not bigger, than horses actually existed, blew his mind. Not to mention that he was born with the same genetics, although he did not have an identical twin, so he didn’t possess the wolf thing.   

As the members of the Breedline crew took in the gruesome scene, a tense muscle worked in Tim’s jaw. “Explain to me again what all happened here.”

“Well, to make a long story short,” Manuel began to explain. “We think these two bastards…” he cringed as Frank shined the flashlight on the severed heads. “…are the remains of Jena’s last meal.”

Tim crossed his arms and said, “How did you find them?”

“They attacked my niece tonight,” Frank replied.

Drakon and Roman’s expression blackened and became visibly angry. Tim shook his head, muttering something under his breath.

“Is she all right?” Drakon asked menacingly.

Frank nodded. “Carrie is pretty shook-up, but she managed to get away with just a split lip. One of those bastards hit her. She called me right after the attack.”

“Damn,” Roman chimed into the conversation. “How did she get away?”

“Jena, that’s how,” Frank said. “Or we think it was her. By Carrie’s description of what looked to be a werewolf, immediately, we thought of Jena’s creature.”

“Shit,” Tim said under his breath. “Your niece saw Jena’s creature?”

“She saved my niece before those creeps—”

As Frank’s voice trailed off, Tim placed a hand on his shoulder. “I’m sorry, Frank.” He wore a look of understanding. “The important thing is Carrie is safe. If this indeed was our Jena, she did a good thing tonight.”

“You didn’t tell Carrie about Jena, did you?” Drakon hesitantly asked.

“No, no,” Frank said. “We just told her we would check it out and for her to keep what she saw between the four of us.”

“The four of you?” Tim looked at Frank confused. “Besides you two and your niece, who else are you referring to?”

“Oh, I forgot to mention Carrie’s roommate, Jessica Phillips,” Frank said. “She’s the first person who Carrie talked to right after her attack. Jessica is her best friend and someone she trusts. Since Carrie lost her phone, she asked Jessica to call me.”

Roman shook his head. “You think you can trust your niece and her roommate not to talk about the werewolf thing?” 
 
“I believe they’ll keep this quiet,” Frank replied. “Anyway, who’d believe a story like that?”

“You’d be surprised,” Drakon said in a deep baritone. “Reporters would eat this shit up.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Frank nodded. “I remember the last time something like this got out. It was all over the news.”

“Sorry to change the subject,” Manuel said. “Although I don’t think we have to worry about Carrie and Jessica saying anything to anyone. Before you arrived, we found the assailant’s vehicle across the street. I ran their tags and got an ID on the two guys. It looks like one of them did fifteen years for raping an under-aged girl. He’d only been out of the penitentiary for a month. The other guy, the one that looks like his head has been through a meat grinder, is a felon with a long criminal history. In my opinion, whoever killed these SOBs did everyone a favor, and less shit we have to clean off the streets.”

“Well, it looks like Jena’s MO alright,” Drakon commented. “Roman and I will get this cleaned up. Besides, I don’t think anyone will be missing these two jokers, or what’s left of them anyway.”

“That’s another thing we want to talk to you all about,” Manuel said. “Is this going to be a thing with Jena? I mean, are we going to have to clean up after her... well, you know.” He pointed to the severed heads. “Leftover body parts.”

“I don’t know, Detective.” Tim shrugged. “That’s something we’ll have to discuss with Jena. As soon as we speak to her, we’ll get in touch with you.”

“There’s something else,” Frank pointed out. “Carrie said she dropped her purse here during the attack. I’ve looked everywhere, but unfortunately, I came up empty. Would you ask Jena if she happened to have picked it up?” 

Tim nodded. “Of course. I’ll let you know as soon as I get some answers.” 

As the two detectives started for the car, Frank’s cell phone went off. When he looked at the caller ID, he recognized the number.

Before he answered, he looked at Manuel wide-eyed and said, “It’s Jessica.” 

“Well, what are you waiting for? See what she wants.”

Frank swiped his phone to answer and put it up to his ear. “Detective Perkins speaking.”

After a few moments of silence, everyone noticed that Frank’s face grew pale.

“Stay inside the apartment and don’t answer the door until we get there,” Frank finally said. “And keep the doors locked. We’re on our way.”

As he ended the call, Manuel said, “What’s going on?”

Frank’s stomach turned over as he traded glances with Manuel and the others. It sickened him to think his niece had to deal with something so gruesome. “Carrie’s boyfriend came by the apartment not long after we left,” he finally said. “Jessica said he sounded like he had been drinking and was beating on their door, wanting to talk to Carrie. I guess after he’d stood her up one too many times, she decided it was over, so they ignored him and the guy finally went away. Within a few minutes, they heard a car alarm going off. The girls just figured he passed out in his car. When they went to check, they found him lying on the ground by his car. Jessica also said blood was everywhere and the guy’s chest was ripped open.”

“What—” Manuel’s mouth dropped. “Is he dead?”

“Going by Jessica’s description, I believe so. She said it looked like his heart was missing.”

“Shit,” Manuel said under his breath. “We better head that way.”

Frank averted his eyes from his partner and looked to the others in question. “Should we call this one in?”

“Not just yet,” Tim said. “Let’s see if we’re dealing with something supernatural first. You two go on ahead. We’ll meet you there as soon as we take care the situation here.”

Frank nodded and followed Manuel as he headed for the car.
 
To be continued . . .

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf form. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline only get their wolf if they are born with an identical twin. Although they live among humans, their species is secret.
In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing that can kill a Breedline.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins are so strong, they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs their laws and oversees the species population.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If disobeyed, they must face the possibility of being shunned, and no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back into human form.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - Raised by a single mother, Manuel never knew his real father. At age thirteen, his older sister Lailah was murdered, and her killer never apprehended. Consumed by Lailah's death, Manuel chooses a career in police enforcement hoping someday he will bring justice to his sister. Now in his fifties - living his life as a bachelor and a homicide detective - he discovers he's not entirely human and has inherited his father's Breedline genetics.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner, and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species, and the head council of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species. Enraged by his first bonded mate's death at the hands of her father, Drakon breaks the Breedline's True Law and kills him. After he is shunned by the Covenant and forced to live as a rogue wolf, he's promised his humanity back if he joins the Chiang-Shih demon's army. When Drakon discovers the demon's plans to destroy all humans and half-breeds, he betrays him and joins forces with the Breedline. As time passes, he bonds with another mate, Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil. Hired as a bodyguard for Valkin Steele - a billionaire funding a group of unethical scientist's research - he later learns of Steele's underground sex-trafficking and illegal drug and weapons trade, and informs the Breedline Covenant. He also forms a team of Breedline soldiers who work for a private Special Ops group contracted by the military for missions that no one else can or will do to help put an end to Valkin Steele's corrupt organization. He resides in the California Breedline Covenant along with team members, Lawrence, Bull, Justice and Lena.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.