Supernatural Fiction posted April 4, 2020 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE CURSE/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

His Beating Heart

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's still in the working stages, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know! Sending prayers to everyone in these trying times.
Previously . . .

When five-year-old Joseph Parker witnesses his mother’s brutal death—by the hands of his abusive, alcoholic father—he mysteriously starts to hear voices in his head that changes his life forever. As this dark, soulless entity inhabits the young boy’s body, it introduces itself as the Shadow and teaches him how to survive and how to focus on one thing. To kill.

Immediately following the incident, police arrested Joseph’s father and later sentenced him to twenty years in prison. Without any other living relatives, social workers placed Joseph in foster care. 
 

By age thirteen, Joseph had gone through ten foster families before a psychologist placed him into a mental institution due to his psychopathic and sadistic behavior where he spent most of his adolescent years. 
 

Twenty-one years later, after mastering the skills of manipulation with the Shadow’s help, Joseph was back in the real world. The day the institute finally discharged him, believing he’d been cured, it wasn’t long before he landed a job as a freelance journalist at the San Francisco Chronicle and his opportunity to avenge his mother after his father was back in society living as a free man.

After Joseph tracked down his father and took his life, it was time to appease the Shadow’s ravenous appetite for human flesh. With his newfound driving force to take lives, the Shadow guides Joseph to a young girl who is alone in a bar.

When the girl leaves on foot, Joseph follows her to what appears to be a deserted street. Before he has a chance to take the girl, two men show up out of nowhere and attack her. As they drag her to a vacant building with the intention of doing her harm, the Shadow commands Joseph to kill the men and take the girl. Prepared to obey the Shadow, Joseph’s features begin to transform into something evil and demonic. As he moves in to strike, something big with speed of lightning suddenly leaps out of the fog and viciously attacks both men while the girl manages to get away. 

When Joseph realizes it’s a werewolf, he watches in stunned disbelief as it rips the girl’s attackers to pieces.
 

Continued . . .
 
Carrie flinched when a loud knock sounded at the front door. She looked at Jessica wide-eyed and said, “Are you expecting company?”

Jessica looked at Carrie in question. “Are you kidding me? It’s freaking four o’clock in the morning.”

“Carrie!” A blaring male voice called out, followed by another round of loud knocks that sounded more like pounding fists. “Open the damn door, Carrie! It’s me, Kevin!” 

Carrie rolled her eyes and groaned.

“What an asshole,” Jessica said, keeping her voice low. “Ignore that bastard.”

“Oh,” Carrie huffed out. “Trust me. I’m not talking to that piece of shit. He can just stand out there all night if I care.”

“Carrrieee!” Kevin shouted in a slurred voice. “Come, on! I know you’re in there!”

Jessica grumbled. “That stupid-ass sounds drunk. If he keeps this up, I’ll call the damn cops.”

“He won’t last long,” Carrie said. “He has a problem with that sort of thing.” She looked at Jessica with a raised brow. “If you know what I mean.”

Jessica snickered. “What a loser. I guess his Mommy and Daddy’s money can’t buy him stamina.”

They both burst into laughter. Then, after a few more seconds of knocking and carrying on, Kevin finally gave up.

“See, I told you,” Carrie said around a light chuckle. “He never lasts more than a few seconds.”

Jessica laughed again. “I’m glad you’re finally getting rid of that jerk. You deserve so much better.”

“I agree,” Carrie replied. “So, what did Ryan want earlier?”

Jessica’s face lit up. “He said he wanted to talk.”

“Really?” Carrie looked at Jessica curiously. “Maybe he wants to tell you about the so-called secret he’s been keeping.”

“Maybe.” Jessica shrugged. “We’ll see.”

“Well, whatever it is, don’t be holding out on me. I want details later.”

“You know it, girl,” Jessica said, batting her brows.

Carrie yawned. “So, are you ready to turn in?” 

“Hell, yes,” Jessica quickly replied. “It’s been a long day.”

Meanwhile, as Carrie and Jessica got ready for bed, Kevin—who had way too much alcohol—staggered to the parking lot where he half-assed parked his Porsche, taking up two parking spaces in the process.

When he finally made his way over to his shiny red sports car, he stood outside the driver’s side and fumbled for his keys inside the front pocket of his designer jeans. He was oblivious to his surroundings and the dark figure that came up behind him. As he looked up to unlock the door, his eyes rounded in sheer terror. The image in the tinted window staring back at him nearly brought him to his knees.

Kevin opened his mouth to scream, but only the sounds of gurgling blood came out. As his life shot out like a crimson geyser and sprayed all over his expensive car, he felt as though something with immense force had punched a hole through his chest. Then, he heard a steady rhythm like the sound of a heartbeat. “Lub-dub, lub-dub, lub-dub.”

With a gasping breath, he managed to lower his head, but to his dismay, he was shocked at what he saw. Protruding out of an opening in his chest was a bloody hand in which held his still-beating heart. 

As Kevin’s body started to collapse forward, Joseph grabbed his arm with his free hand. Holding him steady, he pulled the other hand back through Kevin’s chest cavity with his heart still in his grasp.   
  
When Joseph brought the blood-drenched heart close to his lips, the Shadow purred deep in his throat.

“Mmmmm,” the Shadow said as its long, lizard-like tongue emerged from Joseph’s mouth and swirled over his lips in one circular motion. “That will make a tasty snack.”

Before Joseph devoured the bloody organ, he let go of Kevin. The car alarm went off as his lifeless body smacked into the driver’s window.

Joseph’s jaws spontaneously began to widen and elongate as though his mouth was made of flexible elastic. With one big gulp, he swallowed the heart and licked the blood from his fingers, savoring each drop.

“Delicious,” the Shadow murmured in satisfaction.

As the car alarm continued to blare, the sound carried into Carrie and Jessica’s apartment.

“Un-freaking-believable.” Jessica let out a frustrated groan. “That better not be your stupid-ass boyfriend.”

Carrie crossed her arms and frowned. “You mean stupid-ass, ex-boyfriend.”

“Sorry,” Jessica muttered. “I swear though, I’m fixing to go out there and kick his spoiled, rich ass.”

“I second that,” Carrie said as she went to the closet door. As she opened it, she reached into her gym bag. With the taser in her hand, she held it up and said, “I’ll bring back-up.”

Jessica grabbed her cell phone and said, “And I might just call the cops after I beat ‘em and you tase his ass.”

Carrie laughed and unlocked the front door. She held the door open and said, “Come on. I’ll bet you fifty bucks he’s passed out in his car.”

“You’re on,” Jessica replied as she hurried to the door. “I doubt the jerk didn’t even make it that far. I bet he’s passed out in the parking lot.”
 
It didn’t take long for them to locate Kevin’s car. The sound of the blaring car alarm guided them straight to it. When Carrie and Jessica came up to the Porsche, they saw Kevin lying on his back next to his car. He wasn’t moving and there was blood everywhere.

“Oh my, God.” Carrie gasped into the palm of her hand. “Kevin—”  

“Shit,” Jessica spouted, noticing the giant hole in Kevin’s chest. Her insides churned at the image. “How in the hell did that happen?”

“I-I can’t believe it,” Carrie muttered in a tear-laced voice. “Who would do this?”

Jessica looked around, wondering if the assailant was still around. “Maybe it was that werewolf,” she fearfully commented.

“I feel like I’m trapped in a nightmare,” Carrie said, wiping at her eyes. “Please, God. Please, let me wake up.”

Jessica sighed. “Well, I guess this means you owe me fifty bucks.”

Carrie shot her a look. “For crying-out-loud, Jessica!”

“Sorry,” Jessica regretfully said, holding up her arms as if in surrender. “I didn’t mean—”

“Please, Jess,” Carrie cut her off, her voice nearly hysterical. “For the love of God, just call my Uncle Frank.”
 
To be continued…

 

 




BREEDLINE - A species of humans with the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.