Horror and Thriller Fiction posted March 22, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sometimes the virus is allready Inside

Invisible Enemy

by forestport12


It was a game-changer when the government told us the virus lived for several hours in the cool air of a summer breeze. We didn't have to be told to lock-down.

We duct-taped our vents and the edges of our windows, but we let the sunlight through, giving us a sliver of hope that someday we'd be able to plunge into the sapphire sky.

By summer's end, I caved. "I'm going outside and dare anyone to stop me!"

My wife grabbed me around the legs until I almost dragged her out the door. I kicked her away. "I'm sorry. I don't want to hurt you, but I'm going to prove everything's okay."

But I was wrong.

I ran down the empty street, sucking fresh air into my lungs. Sirens sounded and the flashing lights of cruisers blinded me. They tackled me to the ground.

It was worth it.




Flash Fiction contest entry


Like many of you, we sit and wonder just how contagious this is. I'm becoming an expert at social distancing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. forestport12 All rights reserved.
forestport12 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.