Supernatural Fiction posted March 21, 2020 Chapters:  ...3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE CURSE/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Mr. Hyde

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's still in the working stages, so if you catch mistakes, please tell me. Enjoy!
Previously . . .

When five-year-old Joseph Parker witnesses his mother’s brutal death—by the hands of his abusive, alcoholic father—he mysteriously starts to hear voices in his head that changes his life forever. As this dark, soulless entity inhabits the young boy’s body, it introduces itself as the Shadow and teaches him how to survive and how to focus on one thing. To kill.

Immediately following the incident, police arrested Joseph’s father and later sentenced him to twenty years in prison. Without any other living relatives, social workers placed Joseph in foster care.  

By age thirteen, Joseph had gone through ten foster families before a psychologist placed him into a mental institution due to his psychopathic and sadistic behavior where he spent most of his adolescent years.  

Twenty-one years later, after mastering the skills of manipulation with the Shadow’s help, Joseph was back in the real world. The day the institute finally discharged him, believing he’d been cured, it wasn’t long before he landed a job as a freelance journalist at the San Francisco Chronicle and his opportunity to avenge his mother after his father was back in society living as a free man.

After Joseph tracked down his father and took his life, it was time to appease the Shadow’s ravenous appetite for human flesh. With his newfound driving force to take lives, the Shadow guides Joseph to a young girl who is alone in a bar.

When the girl leaves on foot, Joseph follows her to what appears to be a deserted street. Before he has a chance to take the girl, two men show up out of nowhere and attack her. As they drag her to a vacant building with the intention of doing her harm, the Shadow commands Joseph to kill the men and take the girl. Prepared to obey the Shadow, Joseph’s features begin to transform into something evil and demonic. As he moves in to strike, something big with speed of lightning suddenly leaps out of the fog and viciously attacks both men while the girl manages to get away. 

When Joseph realizes it’s a werewolf, he watches in stunned disbelief as it rips the girl’s attackers to pieces.
 
Continued . . .
 
The mind-numbing phone conversation with his niece just moments ago sliced through Frank’s heart like he’d been cut with a knife. He’d never be able to get her terrified voice out of his head.  

“Buckle up, partner,” Frank said as he hit the lights on his unmarked car and floored it. 

It was raining and the roads were wet, so when he hit the gas, his Ford Taurus fishtailed a little. The car then sprang forward as he exited the precinct’s parking lot and bolted onto the interstate that led to his niece’s apartment complex on Fillmore Street.

Manuel shot his partner a look. “I’d like to get there…” he sputtered, bracing his arm against the car’s dashboard. “…in one piece, if it’s any concern to you.”

“Come on, buddy,” Frank chortled. “Where’s your sense of adventure? You used to love this shit.”

“Yeah,” Manuel grumbled. “That was twenty years ago. Before we got old.”

“Awe, now.” Frank shrugged with his hands tight on the wheel. “Age has nothing to do with it. You’re only as old as you feel.”

Manuel glared at Frank. “How old is dirt? ‘Cuz right about now, that’s how old I feel.”  

Frank glanced toward the passenger’s seat and cocked a brow. “That’s not what I hear.”

“What in the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“Our women are friends,” Frank said. “They talk.”

Manuel’s eyes rounded. “Whaddaya mean, they talk? About what?”

“Well, you didn’t hear this from me, but Missy said Kathryn told her you remind her of that Spanish actor, Antonio Banderas.”

“In what way?”

“She meant you look like the guy.” 

“So, is that a good thing?” Manuel continued to grill his partner.

Frank batted his brows. “According to Kathryn it is.”

“Is that so?” The corners of Manuel’s lips curled up. “Well, that’s not the first time I’ve heard that. The last time your wife set me up on a blind date, which seems like a decade ago, she told me I looked like that actor.”

Frank smirked. “Yeah, I also recall Jena saying something like that to you the first time we met her in the hospital.”

Manuel nodded, his thoughts going back to that day. Back then, Jena was just a frightened, innocent girl—who had been bitten by a creature and cursed—and now she was the most courageous person he knew. After Jena destroyed the creature, she was doomed to take its place except she would never harm an innocent person. She would only kill evil. Which in turn, rid the city of the worst criminals as well as helping them with their job. As he came back to focus, he said, “I wonder how she’s adjusting to her new life? I mean, with the curse and all. Have you heard from Nicolas?”

“As a matter of fact, I talked to him the other day. They just got back from their trip. Nicolas said it’s taking her some getting used to, you know…” he took one hand off the wheel and made finger quotations. “…the werewolf thing and killing people.” 

“Yeah, but she’s killing bad people,” Manuel pointed out.

“Still, the whole thing is kind of morbid when you think about it,” Frank said grimly. “I can’t fathom living my life knowing I have a curse which drives me to eat people.”

“Eat bad people,” Manuel said as though he was making light of the situation. “Besides, remember what the battle angels said. Jena will be helping them by eliminating Satan’s future soldiers, and it saves the city tax money. That’s less evil the battle angels will have to fight and fewer offenders we have to go after. Think about the number of criminals, and I’m talking about the worst kind, who are sent to prison. Our tax dollars support those SOBs. If it was up to me, I’d give Jena the key to all their cells.” He chuckled a little. “Think of it like this. It’d be an all-you-can-eat buffet to her.”

Frank rolled his eyes. “That’s just messed up, buddy.”

“That’s a matter of opinion, partner,” Manuel replied.
          
Fifteen minutes later, as they pulled into the parking lot where Carrie lived, they noticed someone dart around the building wearing a black hoodie. 
 
Manuel’s eyes rounded. “What the f—”

“My words exactly,” Frank said, switching off the lights. “It’s after two o’clock, and too damn early for a morning stroll.”

Manuel reached for the passenger door when the vehicle skidded to a stop in an empty parking space next to Carrie’s Jeep Expedition.

“Let’s check it out,” he said in a low voice as he stepped out of the car at the same time Frank came out of the driver’s side. Then, he signaled Frank, pointing to the rear of the apartment building. “You head toward the back while I go around the front,” he told him. “Maybe we can block him in from both sides.”

Frank nodded with a thumb’s up and took off toward the back of his niece’s apartment complex. As he neared the rear of the building, he pulled his gun from his holster and peered around the corner. He could hear the sound of footsteps climbing the outside back stairway, heading up to second floor to Carrie’s apartment. When Frank spotted his partner, he waved him over and pointed to the stairs.

Manuel nodded and motioned for him to go up while he covered him from the rear.

As Frank came up behind the hooded stranger, who was moving toward the sliding glass doors to his niece’s apartment, he raised his gun and said, “Hold it right there. Don’t make another move.”

When the hooded guy spun around and saw Frank and his partner, who had their weapons aimed forward, he instantly held up his hands. “What the—”

“Keep your hands where we can see them,” Manuel directed, “and don’t make a move.”

“What’s going on?” The hooded man sputtered, keeping his hands high.

“Keep your pie-hole shut,” Frank gritted out. “I’ll be the one asking all the questions, is that clear?”

With a shocked look on his face, the guy quickly nodded a silent understanding.

“What are you doing at this apartment building?”

“M—my girlfriend lives here,” the guy said. “And I live on the top floor.”

“What’s your girlfriend’s name?”

“Jessica Phillips. Well, actually, she’s my ex-girlfriend. She broke up with me earlier and I just wanted to…” he swallowed hard. “…talk to her.”

“What’s your name?” Frank asked.

“Ryan,” he said. “Ryan Grayson.”

“Do you have an ID on you?”

Ryan nodded. “My wallet is in the back pocket of my jeans.”

“Have you been drinking tonight, Mr. Grayson?”

“I’ve had a few drinks,” he said. “But I haven’t been driving. I took a taxi.”

“Can you tell us your whereabouts tonight?”

“I was at the Alibi. You know... that popular bar off Main Street. I met Jessica there for drinks earlier.”

“What time did you last see her?”

“About an hour ago.” Ryan clenched his brows in confusion. “Why? Did something happen?”

“Listen to what I tell you, Ryan,” Frank said. “Using one hand, I want you to slowly reach into your back pocket and get your wallet. Then, I want you to toss it over to my partner. Do you understand?”

“Y-yes, sir.” 

After Ryan carefully took out his wallet and tossed it to Manuel, Frank said, “Do you know Ms. Phillip’s roommate?”

Ryan nodded again. “Yeah, I mean, yes, sir. I know Carrie. Please, Detective. Is Jessica all right?”

Manuel interjected and said, “Looks like he checks out.”

“Mr. Grayson, your ex-girlfriend is fine,” Frank stated. “We got a call from her about twenty minutes ago. Carrie was attacked tonight, and we’re here to get a report of the incident.”

Ryan’s eyes rounded. “Oh my, God. Is she okay?”

Before Manuel replied, he looked to the sliding glass doors as it made a whooshing sound when it came open.

Jessica’s mouth dropped when her eyes caught sight of her ex-boyfriend with his hands above his head. “Ryan—” She looked toward the two detectives, and then back to Ryan again. “What’s going on?”

“You can drop your hands now, Mr. Grayson,” Frank said as he and his partner lowered their weapons.

Ryan slowly lowered his hands and gave Jessica a despairing little shrug.

“We caught your boyfriend going around the back when we arrived,” Manuel explained. “At this hour, he looked suspicious, so we followed him. He says you two were together earlier. We’re just checking his story out to make sure he’s not giving us a line of BS.”

Jessica crossed her arms. “For starters, he’s my ex-boyfriend. And he’s telling the truth.” She let out a heavy sigh. “I was with him about an hour ago. We had drinks at the Alibi tonight.”

“Well, that’s what he told us,” Frank said. “It seems he came back to talk to you, but considering the situation, I think it best that lover-boy comes back to chit-chat another time. Of course, he’ll stop by at a respectful hour of the day.” He shot Ryan a look. “Isn’t that right, Mr. Grayson?”

Ryan quickly bobbed his head up and down. “Y-yes, sir.”

As he turned to leave, Jessica said, “I’m free around noon, if you still want to talk.”

Ryan’s face instantly brightened. “That would be great, Jess.” He smiled and waved at her. “I’ll see you then.” After he turned to leave, he briefly looked back and said, “I hope Carrie is all right. Call me if you need anything.”

Jessica nodded. “Thanks, Ryan.”

Manuel rolled his eyes and Frank said, “How’s my niece?”

“Much better than I would be,” Jessica said, shaking her head. “Especially after what she’s been through.” She motioned them inside. “Carrie will be glad to see you, and man, she’s got one crazy story to tell you. Just please, keep an open mind, because what she’s about to tell you goes beyond reality.”
 
***
 
With his mind still focused on the girl, Joseph was about to cross the street when the sound of humming caught his attention. As he turned to look, he spotted a woman not far down the sidewalk moving in his direction. She had long, blonde hair, similar to Carrie’s, but this girl was a lot taller.

“Well, heeello,” the Shadow purred. “I like her, Joseph.”

“What about, Carrie?” he whispered.

“Save her for later.” The Shadow smacked his lips. “I’m starving. This one will do.” 

Before he approached the girl, his eyes searched the surroundings, making sure the streets were clear of any onlookers... or eyewitnesses. When Joseph saw the coast was clear, his upper lip curled up into a snarl and his face twisted into a mask of horror. His breaths came out deeper and more guttural as though another person was inside of him breathing. He was changing quickly. Already the shape of his face was less human and more demonic. His eyes were like black, soulless pits. It was as if he’d transformed into something similar to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

“Yummy.” The Shadow’s voice beamed with exaltation. “Take her, Joseph. Do it for me.”

He started forward, moving with long strides and a determination to please the Shadow. But his efforts availed him nothing. It was like some sort of magic trick. The girl simply vanished before his very eyes, leaving behind a thick veil of fog.

“What—”

“Look out, Joseph,” the Shadow warned. “She’s behind you!”

When Joseph spun around on the balls of his feet, he came face-to-face with the girl. Her eyes were like burning coals and the lines of her face seemed odd. It was stretching and bulging as though her features were reshaping itself into something beastly. Joseph watched, paralyzed, as black hairs swiftly poured out of her skin, instantly covering her entire face.

“Shiiittt!” The Shadow cursed in irritation. “The girl…” he paused, and made a gagging sound in the back of his throat. “…is the creature.” 
                    
The girl’s blouse ripped apart as her chest quickly expanded and her arms and legs began to lengthen, growing at an alarming rate. She now stood at least a foot taller than him and her features were entirely unrecognizable. What was once a feminine mouth was now a muzzle chock-full of razor-sharp teeth, and atop its hideous, wolf-like head were two lupine ears. 
      
Rendered speechless, Joseph took a few steps back. For a moment, he stared at her in disbelief, and then his black eyes flared with unspeakable fury. Joseph was trembling with rage, but the Shadow seemed consumed by curiosity.

Hold steady, Joseph,” the Shadow said.

The wolfish fiend drew closer to Joseph and spoke in a deep, raspy baritone. “What are you?”

Joseph stood firm and said simply, “We are exceptional and magnificent creatures.”

Again, the wolfish creature edged closer and drew up its shoulders. “Who’s we?” 

Before Joseph could get a word out, the sound of voices caught him off guard. As he turned to look, he saw a man and a woman engaging in a conversation not far down the street. It had only been seconds, but when looked back, the creature was nowhere in sight. It was as if it had magically disappeared in thin air.

“Hmmm,” the Shadow pondered. “The creature is hideous, but quite skillful and fascinating.”

“What now?” Joseph queried.

“We find another.”

“What about Carrie?”

“Oh, we’ll have her,” the Shadow deviously replied. “Sooner or later.”
 
To be continued …
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 




BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.