Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted March 20, 2020 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
I am ashamed of so many of my fellow Americans

A chapter in the book Blended Reality

I Am A Hugger

by JLR


Life in the time of a pandemic is not how I thought I would be bringing in my seventieth birthday next week. Virtually, self-quarantined, and doing what I imagine every other red-blooded American is engaged in, reading and watching everything that comes across our screens, doesn't set aside the angst and concerns about what next?
Just like every day for the past three weeks, I find myself getting up, grabbing a cup of coffee, and sitting at my desk and reading through the latest news that comes overnight. Just to realize that the information seemingly is becoming starker.

There have been so many anticipated events that, for me, were of great importance that have been canceled or moved to web-based participation in the past two weeks, and this makes me feel sad. It is this social distancing that makes me realize just how much I am a hugger and what that has meant to me throughout my lifetime.

Perhaps, this need to fill the void in my childhood of not being nurtured enough or it is the result of my sincere, compassionate heart that I have this constant tendency.

As a prayer Chaplain at our congregation and as a hospice volunteer where hugging has been a welcomed, kind gesture, this pandemic has curtailed these fulfilling activities, which exacerbates the further sense of isolation that I am now coping with.
.
Then there are the geographic facts we endure with four grandchildren and daughters, sons, daughters-in-law and son-in-law living in a region that is severely hit with this pandemic and the trepidation we feel for our loved ones too far away to hug.

Then, in all honesty, I am ashamed of my fellow Americans! The scenes that I have witnessed with people fighting over toilet paper! Toilet paper, people! When the world event began to unwind, seemingly so did far too many people's common sense and brotherly love began to unravel. I genuinely want to believe that there is a conventional fiber that weaves throughout all Americans. That somehow we all have goodness in each of us and GOD I don't want to lose this long-held belief. Coupling this with what is to me, a ridiculous and self-serving turn of events of those who are running out and arming themselves with guns and rifles and so much ammunition that the suppliers are having a difficult time keeping up with inventory. People? Shame, shame on all of you!

Fear is enough running amok throughout every household and then we have added you to the equation; this out of control panic buying and over arming of homes, to what end? Can anyone explain this?

What would it be like, if people would think about the neighbor next door who might be sight challenged, in a wheelchair, homebound, the thousands upon thousands of people shut in and now isolated from the outside world in nursing homes? If people who are so self-centered could just put the brakes on and think about the larger picture, perhaps we as a society could see an outcome from this Coronavirus pandemic each of us standing a little bit taller, a little more like a proud American.

Hope! Yes, I hope for people to adhere to the wise council coming from the experts to stay at home, do some spring cleaning, read a book, watch movies. Pray, yes I know it is not a PC thing to say, but if we have ever needed GOD to intervene now, it is the perfect time to invite him into your lives and pray for healing globally.

In closing, I am a hugger. I am sending a huge virtual hug and rest assured, working together we can beat this bug!



 



Coronavirus writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
How have current events impacted you. Can be emotionally, spirtually or anything else. Any format poem or prose. If poem change the type on the submission screen to poetry.

Recognized

#332
2020


A prosaic commentary on the coronavirus pandemic.


Thank you for the use of Photo by Marco Bianchetti on Unsplash
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. JLR All rights reserved.
JLR has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.