Romance Fiction posted March 15, 2020 Chapters:  ...55 56 -57- 58... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
More heat is put on the couple as Logan is threatened.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 24 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
I'm happy to announce that 'Under Siege on the Rockin' A' is finally published. You can find it on Amazon.com. You probably don't recognize the title.

It's Saturday afternoon. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 11 days.

Ending of Previous Post:


"No, I didn't find her attractive."

"Why not? Her figure was almost perfect. Everything about her was perfect."

Logan took a drink of water. "She was made up. Her make-up was caked on. I'm betting her figure was bought. I prefer more natural beauty, someone like you."

Her eyebrows rose. "What?"

"You heard me. I think you're much prettier than she'll ever be. I'm not the only man who thinks that. Every time we go someplace, I've noticed how the men stare at you. They're envious that I'm with you. That's real beauty."

"But..."

"But, nothing," interrupted Logan. "Finish your lunch. We need to do a grocery list." He paused. "Think we can go shopping tomorrow? Since we ordered pizza last night, I still have your special dinner to make."

Ignoring what he just said, McKenzie asked, "Do you really think I'm pretty?"

He got up, walked over to her, cupped her face in his hands, and stared into her eyes. "Yes, I do."

Both heads turned as somebody knocked on the door.


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 24 PART 2

Logan greeted Mitch at the door. "By the look on your face, I'd say this isn't good."

"It's not." Mitch walked into the room. "Have any coffee ready? I could use about four cups."

"I just made a fresh pot." Logan poured a large mug. "What's going on?"

McKenzie stood. "It's not Bill, is it?"

He put his arm around her and squeezed. "He's fine." His gaze averted to Logan. "I heard that yesterday you stopped by the Irish Pub where Mac was drugged, and he gave you a surveillance tape."

"We did. Why?" asked Logan.

"When the cleaning crew came in early this morning, they found him on the floor."

McKenzie's hand covered her mouth. "Is he alive?"

"He is, but badly beaten. He said they wanted to know what you wanted."

Logan sighed. "Can he identify them?"

"Nope. They wore masks. Where's the tape?"

She pointed to the den. "In my safe. We made a few copies so we could give Bill the original. He hasn't come by. I'm sure he'll be by later. There's a man peering in the window. We think its Parks but can't tell for sure. We're hoping the lab can clear up the image."

When a knock sounded at the door, Mitch said, "That's probably Bill. He was close behind." Mitch went to the door.

Bill entered and hugged McKenzie. "You need to be extra cautious. Whoever this is has upped their game." He acknowledged Logan with a nod. "We need to make a list of everybody who's important to both of you so we can ensure their safety."

Logan removed his phone. "I'll call Simon and then my parents."

McKenzie did the same. "I've got Jose."

Mitch and Bill sat around the table, drank coffee, and discussed logistics.

When McKenzie and Logan returned, Logan said, "Mom and Dad thought about taking a vacation, but they're still waiting for Megan's body to be released. Simon's sending Sheila and the kids to her parent's outside the city. He's staying in case he's needed. He says his gut tells him he will." He answered Mitch and Bill's raised eyebrows. "He served with me. He can handle himself."

"Jose's sending his wife to her parents in Puerto Rico," offered McKenzie. "He's staying too." She went toward the den. "I'll get that disc." When she returned, she handed it to Bill. "This is the original. I thought it would be easier to clean up. We want the guy peering through the window. We think its Parks, but don't know for sure. Maybe the lab can do face recognition on the other three. One of the men approached me outside a coffee shop a few days ago."

"We'll see if the lab can work their magic. I'll make sure nothing happens to this. I don't want another fiasco, like the bugs."

McKenzie studied her feet. "Bill, I'd like to visit --, I don't even know his name."

Mitch offered, "Patrick O'Malley."

"I'd like to visit Mr. O'Malley in the hospital. He shouldn't have been beaten because of me. It's not right. I need to tell him that."

Bill put his hand over hers. "It's not your fault. I don't think today would be a good day. How about tomorrow."

"Thank you." She got up, walked toward the backdoor. "The dogs need out. I'm going with them."

The three men nodded.

*****

After McKenzie was out of hearing range, Bill asked, "How's she doing?"

Logan ran his hand through his military cut hair. "About like you'd expect. She's holding it together unless she's alone. She has this need to be tough. She doesn't want anybody to see any weakness in her."

Mitch said, "She looks tired. How's she sleeping?"

"She's not. A few hours at a time here and there." Logan glanced toward the back door. "She's probably crying and doesn't want either of you to know it."

Bill stood. "You've figured her out pretty good. I'll talk with her."

Logan came up beside him. "No offense, Bill, but I've been with her through this. We've become pretty close. Let me go."

"She's letting you see her vulnerable?" After Logan nodded, Bill continued, "She never showed any emotion after her parents were murdered. I always thought everything would come out at once." He thought for a minute. "If she's allowing you in-" he sighed, "she cares about you, a lot. Don't hurt her."

"I'm not planning on it." Logan walked outside.

*****

When McKenzie heard the door shut, she glanced at Logan and quickly dried her eyes. "I'm not crying."

"I know." Logan walked closer to her. "Mitch and Bill are worried."

She wiped her damp cheek. "I'm surprised Bill's not out here."

He pulled her into a hug. "I talked him into letting me come."

"Thank you." She cuddled in and was silent for a few moments. "I'm not crying."

"I know, but if you felt like it, it would be okay."

"People are in danger because of me, and I don't even know why. Maybe I need to go to Parks and turn myself in." Logan stepped back and glared at her as she continued, "I can't allow anybody else to be hurt." Tears tumbled down her cheeks.

"I won't allow you do to that. It's not the answer. Together we'll figure this out."

She clung to him tighter. "I hope so."

He kissed the top her head. So do I.

*****


After Bill and Mitch left, McKenzie sat on the couch with a dog on each side.

Logan stood in the doorway and fingered a coin, tossing it in the air. "A penny for your thoughts."

She reached up and caught it. "I seriously doubt you'd want to know my thoughts. They're random and all over the place."

He sat in a chair. "Try me." He watched her. "What's the first thing on your mind?"

"I'm wondering how I got in this mess. I'm wondering if there's any way I can solve your sister's murder. I'm wondering if any more people are going to be harmed because of me." McKenzie's eyes met his. "I'm wondering what am I going to do when you go back to Fort Bragg?" She bit her bottom lip. "I'm going to miss you -- a lot."

Logan moved Edger aside, "Sorry, big guy." He took her hand in his. "I'm going to miss you a lot too. You've become very important to me." Hearing a knock, he glanced at the door. "Hmm? I wonder who this is."

After he answered, a man asked, "Are you Major Logan Nelson?" When he said he was, the man continued, "I have a special delivery letter for you. Please sign here."

Logan signed. When he turned around, McKenzie stood behind him. "What was that about? Is it from your unit?"

"I don't know. I doubt it's from them. There's no return address."

Logan walked to the kitchen and set the envelope on the table. "Before I open it, I'll start the potatoes. They take a while to bake."

McKenzie sat at the table and fingered it. "It's not good, is it?"

"Probably not. I can't imagine anything good showing up special delivery on a Saturday. If it was good, we'd already know about it." He sat across from her. "Hand it over." He opened it and began to read silently.

"Are you going to share?"

"If I have a choice, no I'm not."

"Logan? Does it concern me? Will it affect me?"

He passed her the letter. "I don't have a choice, do I?"

Her eyes met his. "I guess not." Her hands trembled as she unfolded and read it, Leave now, or receive the same fate as your sister. Tears entered her eyes as she got her computer.

"What are you doing?"

"Making you a reservation on the next flight to Fort Bragg."


Another question::: I am working on a title for the novel I finished about the Shana and Anderson. I'm still working on an acceptable title. LOL. My new choices are: 'Shana's Quandary' or Shana's Protector'. Any thoughts?/B>

Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murger.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much later in the novel



Recognized


Thank you google imagines for a photo 'SPECIAL DELIVERY. I really appreciate your help. This post is a little over 1300 words. I hope you don't mind the length. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.
Thank you for your generous support.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.