Mystery and Crime Non-Fiction posted March 13, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Detective Rose discovers a hidden scam artist

Your Cup Size, Please

by Aaron Milavec


INTRO: Five years ago, I was an undercover detective specializing in dating scams. 
 
I met BabyGirl [bikini pic shown below] on Datelink.com.  I immediately knew that BabyGirl might be a scammer because her self-description was a word-for-word copy (including the same grammatical errors) of what Judith Baldus wrote for herself in 1989.  Since women often "borrow" the self-descriptions of others, this, in itself, does not establish proof positive of any fraudulent intent.
 
So now the game of cat-and-mouse begins.  My purpose was to slowly gather positive evidence that BabyGirl was a scam artist and not merely just an identity thief. 

After exchanging a few messages, BabyGirl revealed her name as "Mary Schuster" without being asked.  It's unusual for a woman to give her last name immediately; hence, my suspicions may be misplaced.    
 
Mary and I agreed to have a live exchange using Yahoo IM.  This service has a time-stamp that can be very revealing, as will shortly become evident. I am also leaving the grammatical errors in the transcript because these are also revealing.


Excerpt #1 BabyGirl tells me that she is a hair stylist.

4:03:23 PM   AdamRose: Where and for how long did you study hair styling?
 
4:04:16 PM   BabyGirl: for 2 years in Washington
 
4:04:32 PM   AdamRose: DC or State?
 
4:04:45 PM   BabyGirl: dc
 
4:05:00 PM   AdamRose: What was the name of the school
 
4:07:01 PM   AdamRose: school? Any problem? 
 
4:07:18 PM   BabyGirl: Aveda Institute  [Mary takes 2 min 18 sec to respond.  Most likely she was doing an online search to discover a suitable school for hair stylists.  Thus, for a detective, long pauses are pregnant with meaning.]
 
4:08:16 PM   AdamRose: Once we finish here, I ask you to make an iPhone pic of your Aveda certificate. Can you do that and send it to me?  [Mary is caught off guard.  She knows she lied about Aveda, so what will she do?  If she confesses one lie, her reliability itself will be in question.  She recognizes this.  So what will she do?]
 
4:09:03 PM   BabyGirl: i dont have an iphone to do that  [Note long pause followed by a lie.]
 
4:10:09 PM   AdamRose: Then I ask you to make a photocopy of the Aveda certificate and your driver's license and to send it to my address.  [Notice that I don’t confront her with her lie.  This would be nonproductive since it would be her word against mine.  But I don’t leave her off the hook either.]
 
4:10:40 PM   BabyGirl: cant do that for now 
 
CONCLUSION:  Mary is caught.  She knows that she cannot provide a photocopy.  So how does she squirm out of this one?  She stalls: “I will do what you ask, but not just yet.” Reason given: "I don't know you well enough."  Seems plausible.  Yet my suspicion is that Mary might be a resourceful liar.
 

Excerpt #2 Mary plans to visit me on the weekend. 

4:30:07 PM   BabyGirl: i love [the idea of] driving [to visit you]
 
4:30:10 PM   BabyGirl: its my hobby
 
4:30:30 PM   AdamRose: Ok What is the age and milage of your truck? 
 
4:30:56 PM   BabyGirl: i use a ford f150 1997 model  120k miles 
 
CONCLUSION: At this point, an alarm bell goes off. Women usually don't talk about their vehicles like this.  I already had hints earlier that Mary might be a man in disguise.  This needs to be pursued further. 
 

Excerpt #3 Your cup size, please.

4:30:30 PM   AdamRose: What is your weight?
 
4:30:37 PM   BabyGirl: 140...mostly due to my ass
 
4:30:50 PM   AdamRose: I have a crushing 165 pounds
 
4:31:17 PM   BabyGirl: I'm getting muscular with yoga but I'm no Twiggy
 
4:31:30 PM   AdamRose: Fair enough, and thanks to your well-developed leg muscles.
 
4:31:37 PM   BabyGirl: You like curves? I hope so.
 
4:32:10 PM   AdamRose: Sure do. What is your cup size?
 
4:32:37 PM   BabyGirl: What is your cup size???
 
4:32:50 PM   AdamRose: I don't wear a bra, u silly guy!  YOUR cup size?  A, B, C, D, E?
 
4:33:56 PM   BabyGirl: No idea what u asking. Sure I wear a bra and I have large tits.  Expect youll like that.
 
CONCLUSION: Bingo!  Mary Schuster can only be a man who never had the experience of buying a bra.  I let this pass without comment. I know that it's just a matter of time, and the full scam will shows its ugly head.  Twenty minutes later Mary is asking me for $150. . . .
 

 
 



They Could Have Said... contest entry


FURTHER DETAILS: Ten minutes later Mary Schuster is asking me to send her $150 for "medicine to relieve her stomach ulcer." She pleaded with me to send it immediately by Western Union. She gave me the full name and address of her "uncle" who lives with her. An online search using WhitePages.com tells me all I need to know:

Mary Schuster does not exist. Mary Schuster is entirely the creation of the 49 year old male, Robert C Schuster, who is bent upon scamming money ($50-300 per sucker) from men whose hormones are aroused by the delicious thought of having a sex mate. Robert C Schuster has no wife and no children. He is living with his parents who are in their 70s. He spends 8 to 12 hours daily trolling for his marks on Dateline.com.

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT: I sent a complete file on Robert C Schuster's illegal activities to (a) the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center, (b) the local police station, (c) the management at Datelink.com, (d) to his parents, and (e) to Robert C Schuster himself.

Six months later, I do a search for BabyGirl on Datelink.com. Yipes! He's still there. I engage him in conversation. Robert has changed his fictitious name from "Mary Schuster" to "Johanna Marie Mengotto." He also changed his pics, but, beyond that, Robert C Schuster is still using the exact same M.O. that he used when I first encountered him six months ago. NO ONE took the time to put this scammer out of business. I tried, but I failed.

For more details, go to True Confessions = payhip.com/b/DwJg
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Aaron Milavec All rights reserved.
Aaron Milavec has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.