Romance Fiction posted March 8, 2020 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Rabid Boar Hog!

A chapter in the book Joined at the Hip

The Ol' Wood Bridge

by Commando








Greetings, Friends!

 
Cathy Waldron (aka Tootie) and Bill Bishop (aka Commando) are co-authors of this book. Both invite you to join them in each chapter and hope to make you laugh and cry, yet leave you in a state of uncertainty of what will happen next. As always, your suggestions for improvement will be appreciated. Thanks for reading our work and God Bless.



~Previously~
 
"Oh, my God! Please help me, 'cause I finished my chores, then ate more than my share of Grandma's fried chicken for supper. Afterward, I went to my bedroom, lit the lamp, did my homework, and said goodnight to all. I quickly pulled down the cover on the bed, jumped in, felt something rough and cold against my leg, then the rattlesnake sunk its fangs into my foot. I'm too young to die!" I screamed.                                                                                                                                   
*Special Note*
Some words are written in a way that is appropriate for Smoky Mountain folks; yet, they are not always grammatically correct. Characters, at times will reflect earlier scenes in their lives. They shall, as well, actually talk with the reader. Wider spaces between words are due to the use of "fully justified formatting."
 
~Chapter 2~
 
I woke up in Doc Smith's office sometime later. Had I been dreaming, or was I dying from the venom of the rattlesnake bite?

"Nurse! Get the anti-venom and administer 2 milliliters immediately. The poison is creeping slowly toward Billy's heart."

Grandpa walked over to the doctor and asked, "What can I do to help, Doc?"

"You can send a prayer up to Jesus asking for a miracle."

"I watched Grandpa walk out into the hallway, kneel down, then heard him pray."

"Oh, Lord! As you know, I don't beg much; yet, I'm begging now. Please send down a miracle to save my little man. Are you listening, Jesus?"

I tried to talk to Grandpa, but my voice was still asleep. So, I whispered, "I love you--for loving me! You have always been there to chase the hurt away and say, 'C'mon, Billy, let's go fishing!' Of course, I remember crystal clear that you always caught the biggest fish."

I glanced around the room and saw Cathy with her dad. They smiled and waved. As I drifted off to sleep, I whispered once again, "God bless you both, 'cause you're here for me, too!"

It seemed as though I just blinked my eyes and in a heartbeat my stay at Doc Smith's was history.  "Ya, Ya, Ya--I'm home today! Thank You, Jesus, for the miracle."

The ol' wall clock was striking 10 a.m., as we walked in. My mother handed me the homework that Mrs. Cooper gave her so I could keep up with my class at school. I went to my room, studied. . . and soon, the sun said goodbye and left the sky. Although still weak, I jumped to my feet, ran to the barnyard and did my chores.

Afterward, we ate leftovers from the day before, then said goodnight. I hurried off to bed, pulled the covers down, and no rattlesnake could be found. As I closed my eyes, I heard the sound of a hoot owl somewhere in the night. Then I remembered, hoot owls eat snakes. "Goody, goody, my friend! I'll always keep my window open enough so you can fly in!" I called.
*******
The next morning, I heard the rooster crow and said, "Oh, hush up, rooster. What's a 'matter? Did you wake up early this morning?"

Quickly jumping from bed, I started getting dressed, then heard my momma call.

"Wake up, sleepyhead, c'mon and get fed; do your chores and hurry off to school, 'cause Mrs. Cooper will be waiting for you. Did you hear me, Billy?"

"Yes' ma'am! I'm putting on my pants now. I'll not need a shirt, 'cause it's a beautiful day in the Smokies."

Having finished all of my assignments, I grabbed my lunchbox, said goodbye, then headed off to school--lickety-split! I wasn't weak any longer, my legs were stronger, and I could smell the sweet fragrance of Cathy's body--yummy, yummy!
*******
"Good morning, Handsome," I said to Billy as he walked up to me. "Is that two fuzzy hairs I see on your chest? Makes me kinda wonder. . . where's the rest?"

"Aww, ain't you a whippersnapper this morning; yet, you're a gorgeous one. Where's your dad?"

"He's inside listening to an ol' western on the radio, and said tell you hello. So c'mon now, take my hand, then off to school we go.  No stopping along the way to play, 'cause we don't wanna be late for class. For your information, there's a little get-together after school. Can you stay?"

"Can a bumblebee sting your sexy tail, then fly away?"

"Hmm! I don't think so, 'cause your hand would be in the way."

"Yoo-hoo! I agree with you."
*******
Billy and I flirted from across the room during class. It was hard for me to keep my mind on what Mrs. Cooper was trying hard to teach me. The day passed, and our class was dismissed. Our little get-together lasted until dusky dark and then we headed out home. 

"C'mon, Beautiful! Let's boogie on down 'cause it will be pitch dark soon. Of course, our sleeping together will have to wait until you promise me you'll not pull the cover."

"Shucks! I'll promise you now; yet, my fingers will be crossed behind my back!"

"The ol' dirt road will be dark tonight 'cause there's no moon. So, what'll we do for light, Billy?"

"There's a lantern filled with oil, along with a box of matches in the storage room here at school, and  I've used 'em before. So, don't you worry your pretty head, Cathy. Grandpa told me once, 'The night has a thousand eyes!' I looked almost everywhere; yet, I couldn't see 'em! The ol' wood bridge is just around the bend. Stay close to me and the lantern light, okay?"

"If I get any closer, our hearts will beat as one, and we can save money on clothes.  Sweet, Jesus! What is that horrifying creature on the bridge, Billy?"

"It's a wild boar, Cathy! There are heaps of 'em in the Smoky Mountains; yet, this one appears to be rabid. Don't move, and it may not attack. So, stand behind me, I'll move forward, then sling the lantern back and forth. Grandpa told me that rabid animals are deathly afraid of fire and water. I guess we're gonna find out tonight if Grandpa was right. 

 
 Yikes!
Quite a life-threatning dilemma Billy faces.
It's a situation that requires a choice between options
that are or seems equally unfavorable and
unsatisfactory. What choice would you make, our friends?
Cathy and I hope to see all of you back in Chapter 3.
Respectfully with Admiration,
Cathy and Bill



Recognized


Greetings, Friends! It is an honor having you read our work. Cathy and I appreciate your continued support. Your thoughts matter to us, and we ask that you offer suggestions for improvement. Hope you enjoy and shall follow along. A "Salute" to Cathy for designing the awesome cover and choosing me as her co-author. Best wishes and God Bless. Respectfully with Admiration, Cathy (aka Tootie) and Bill Bishop (aka Commando).
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Multi-Author Book
Add Chapter
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Commando All rights reserved.
Commando has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.