Supernatural Fiction posted March 7, 2020 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE CURSE/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Werewolves are Real

by scongrove




Background
Thank you for taking the time to read my chapter. It's still in the works, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy!
Previously . . .

When five-year-old Joseph Parker witnesses his mother’s brutal death—by the hands of his abusive, alcoholic father—he mysteriously starts to hear voices in his head that changes his life forever. As this dark, soulless entity inhabits the young boy’s body, it introduces itself as the Shadow and teaches him how to survive and how to focus on one thing. To kill.

Immediately following the incident, police arrested Joseph’s father and later sentenced him to twenty years in prison. Without any other living relatives, social workers placed Joseph in foster care.
  

By age thirteen, Joseph had gone through ten foster families before a psychologist placed him into a mental institution due to his psychopathic and sadistic behavior where he spent most of his adolescent years. 
 

Twenty-one years later, after mastering the skills of manipulation with the Shadow’s help, Joseph was back in the real world. The day the institute finally discharged him, believing he’d been cured, it wasn’t long before he landed a job as a freelance journalist at the San Francisco Chronicle and his opportunity to avenge his mother after his father was back in society living as a free man.

After Joseph tracked down his father and took his life, it was time to appease the Shadow’s ravenous appetite for human flesh. With his newfound driving force to take lives, the Shadow guides Joseph to a young girl who is alone in a bar.


When the girl leaves on foot, Joseph follows her to what appears to be a deserted street. Before he has a chance to take the girl, two men show up out of nowhere and attack her. As they drag her to a vacant building with the intention of doing her harm, the Shadow commands Joseph to kill the men and take the girl. Prepared to obey the Shadow, Joseph’s features begin to transform into something evil and demonic. As he moves in to strike, something big with speed of lightning suddenly leaps out of the fog and viciously attacks both men while the girl manages to get away.  
      
  

Continued . . .

She didn’t stop running until she was at the door to her apartment. Her hands shook and her lungs screamed inside her chest. She felt as though she was going to hyperventilate before she ever made it inside. It wasn’t until she reached for the door that she realized it was locked.

Keys, she feverishly thought as she dug into the pockets of her jeans. Dammit, where are my keys?

At that moment, she remembered where they were. Her apartment keys and her phone were in her purse. Shit! It was in that alley where she’d been attacked, and there was no way in hell she was going back there.

“Jessica!” She shouted and pounded on the door, praying her roommate was home. “Jessica! Please, Jess . . . open the door!”

When she finally accepted the fact that her roommate wasn’t home, she leaned against her apartment door as panic and terror quickly took hold. She blinked her eyes, trying to get the nightmarish images out of her head. God, she could still see all the blood and hear those awful screams. And that thing . . . what was it? It looked like a werewolf. Whatever attacked those two creeps wasn’t exactly human. No matter how hard she tried, nothing made sense. Although, whatever it was, it kept her from getting raped and most likely saved her life. That’s when the tears started. They streaked down her cheeks in what seemed like an endless river. She wiped at her eyes, feeling as though she had stepped into an alternate universe where nothing seemed real. Then, she placed both hands over face and fell apart. 
 
“Carrie—”

At the sound of her roommate’s voice, she lowered her hands and cleared her throat. “Oh, thank, God.”

Jessica came forward, realizing her friend was in a state of distress and reached out to her. “What happened, Carrie?”

She pushed her long, blonde hair out of her face and wiped her tear-stained eyes. “I—I’m locked out,” she choked the words out.

“Where’s your keys?”

“I—In my purse,” she muttered in a shaky voice. “And I lost... my purse.”

“Where?”

“I—In an alley.”

Confusion spiked her brows. “What in the world were you doing in an alley?”

“I was... attacked,” she finally said.
  
“Oh, my God, Carrie,” Jessica blurted and took hold of her hand. “Are you okay?”

Carrie slowly nodded. “I just need to sit down.”

“Come on, girlfriend,” Jessica said as she went to unlock the door. “Let’s get you inside. And we need to file a report. I’ll be damned if whoever did this gets away with it.”

As Jessica guided her inside and helped her to the couch, her friend’s statement wasn’t far from the truth. The fact of the matter was, those two creeps were certainly out of commission, Carrie thought as she stretched out on the thickly padded sofa. There was no doubt about it. They were no longer able—or living for that matter—to prey on the weak and helpless ever again. She was definitely their last victim.

Jessica looked down at Carrie with a concerned expression and said, “Do you want me to get something for your lip?”

“Thanks.” She shook her head. “It’s fine.”

“Want to talk about it?” 

Carrie sighed and scooted higher on the couch. She tucked her legs in close, making room for Jessica to sit down. “Jess, you’ll think I’ve gone mad,” Carrie said, exhaling a sigh. “And I’m not entirely sure I haven’t.”

Jessica plopped down next to Carrie and placed her hand on her friend’s shoulder. “Remember, it’s me you’re talking to, girl. How long have we known each other?”

“Since kindergarten,” Carrie replied.

“That’s right.” Jessica smiled. “And we’ve always told each other everything, no matter what it is. Besides, nothing you say will make me think you’re crazy. You trust me, don’t you?”  

Carrie nodded. “Of course I trust you. It’s just so,” she paused and shook her head, “hard to talk about. It makes me sick just thinking about it.”

Jessica lightly squeezed her shoulder. “Oh God, Carrie. Were you,” she swallowed hard, “raped?”

“No.” Carrie slowly shook her head again. “I got away before it went that far.”

Jessica let out a sigh of relief. “Thank God. Do you know the person who attacked you?”

“There were two of them, and no, I’ve never seen them before.”

“Jeez, girl. How did you get away? Did you use that taser your Uncle Frank got you?”

“Hell no, but I was going to. I forgot it in my gym bag.”

Jessica shrugged. “So, how did you manage to get away from those assholes?”

“This is the part that doesn’t make any sense,” Carrie told her. 

“I’m listening,” Jessica said, encouraging her friend to continue.

Carrie leaned in close and looked her friend square in the eyes. “You promise you won’t think I’m crazy?”

“I swear,” Jessica said. “Cross my heart.” She made the sign of a cross. 
 
“Something attacked those guys, and . . . killed them.” 

Jessica straightened. “Are you serious?”

When Carrie nodded, Jessica said, “Did you see who it was?”

“I know this is going to sound insane, but I swear, I saw it with my own two eyes.”

“Come on, Carrie.” Her voice sounded impatient. “What did you see?”

“It was some kind of animal.”

“An animal? What kind?”

“Jess, it looked like a damn werewolf.”

Jessica’s eyes rounded. “Really, Carrie? A werewolf?”

“I knew it!” Carrie huffed out. “I knew you wouldn’t believe me.”

“Now wait a minute,” Jessica said, holding up a halting hand. “Maybe what you thought you saw was just a rabid dog or a coyote.”

“I know what I saw,” Carrie bluntly stated. “And it wasn’t a rabid dog or a coyote for that matter. The damn thing stood at least six-feet and ran upright.”

“Okay, okay,” Jessica said. “I believe you.”

Carrie narrowed her eyes. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, Carrie. I know you. If you say that’s what you saw, I don’t doubt you. So, what are you going to do? Are you going to report this?”

“I have to,” Carrie said. “Although those creeps got what was coming, I still have to tell someone. I mean hell, my purse is somewhere in that alley. Whoever discovers those bodies, they’ll eventually find out I was there.”

“Maybe you should call your Uncle Frank,” Jessica suggested. “After all, he is a detective.”

“My phone is in my purse,” Carrie pointed out. “Would you mind calling him?”

“Of course I’ll call him. You just sit back and try to relax,” Jessica said. “Don’t worry. We’ll figure this out.”

“Thanks, Jess.”

“It’s no biggie, girl. That’s what friends are for. Besides, you’d do the same for me.”

“Hey, I forgot to ask,” Carrie said, changing the subject. “How’d it go tonight? Did you and Ryan have that talk?”

With her phone in her hand, Jessica turned toward Carrie with a gloomy look on her face and sighed.

“Uh-oh.” Carrie frowned. “I know that look. What happened?”

“I broke it off,” Jessica said, shrugging as though it was nothing. “It was for the best. I mean, we’ve only been dating a few months, but he’s been acting strange lately.”

Carrie raised a brow. “Strange how?”

“It’s hard to explain,” Jessica said. “He just seems preoccupied all the time like he’s hiding something. Every time I’d bring it up, he’d act like nothing was wrong and change the subject.”

“You think he’s seeing someone else?”

Jessica shook her head. “No, it’s not like that. He was very attentive, and he always wanted to see me, but when we were together, I could tell something was bothering him. It was like he was keeping a big secret that he was afraid to tell me.”

“That’s too bad. I thought you two made a cute couple. I have to say, Ryan was definitely easy on the eyes. All that gorgeous blonde hair and those baby blues . . .”

“Jeez, girl.” Jessica let out a little moaning sound. “You’re killing me here. I’ve been trying to erase those perfect images of him from my head, and now—”

 “Sorry.” Carrie shot her a half-smile. “Anyway, I’m sorry it didn’t work out. If it makes you feel any better, my love life isn’t all that great either. Kevin stood me up again.”

“I told you that guy was no good,” Jessica said. “Sure, Kevin’s loaded, but still, he’s a total loser.”

“I know, I know,” Carrie groaned. “I should have taken your advice a long time ago.”

“Oh well.” Jessica reached out with her free hand and placed it over Carrie’s. “Maybe someday we’ll find the right guys.”

“Yeah,” Carrie laughed a little. “Probably when hell freezes over.”

Jessica giggled. “You’re probably right. Well, it looks like it’s gonna be a shitty Valentine’s for the two of us.”

“Ain’t that the truth,” Carrie grudgingly said. “I’ve got a bottle of wine I was saving for tonight. Now that we’re both technically single, and I hate to see a good red go to waste, let’s drown our sorrows in it.”

“That sounds like a great idea. But right now, we’ve got more important things to worry about like making that call to your uncle.”

To be continued . . .
 

 



Book of the Month contest entry


NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense their twin's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. She rules over all the Breedline Covenants. She is their absolute law.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have a book of laws. If disobeyed, they must face the Breedline council. Punishment for taking another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will instantly shift into a rogue wolf for life and shunned by the Breedline Covenants.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline wolf who has killed with the intent of evil. They can never shift back into their human form.

RED (BLOOD) MOON - During this time, all Breedline species have a strong desire to create offspring. This is a time when Breedline females are more fertile for the conception of twins.

CHIANG-SHIH DEMON (Kiang shi, a.k.a. Ramael Arminius) - An ancient demon that can inhabit the body of a Breedline fetus, or during a Breedline's death. It continues to take the soul over the natural lifespan of a child, or the deceased Breedline. When the demon possesses a fetus, it breaks the bonding and telepathic abilities with its twin. If the demon possesses a deceased Breedline's body, it must do so before the soul passes on. If the soul is not intact, the body will soon die. The demon's sole purpose is to seek world domination.

THE BEAST - It is the second-born son of the Chiang-Shih demon. When provoked into a rage, he will shift into the Beast instead of the Breedline wolf. The Beast is also known as the Great White due to his white fur and enormous, two-footed stature. One bite from the Beast has enough venom to kill the Chiang-Shih demon, leaving the soul of the person the demon possessed unharmed.

SHADOW WALKER (a.k.a. Shadow Figure, or Black Mass) - When a Breedline species dies and their soul continues to roam the earth as a shadow of themselves - a ghost - because they have unfinished business before their death.

ZADKIEL (Tzadqiel, a.k.a. 'Righteousness of God') - The archangel of freedom, benevolence, and mercy, and the patron angel of all who forgives. The Breedline species considers Zadkiel the Angel of Mercy.

SUCCUBUS (a.k.a. Creepers) - A succubus feeds off the blood of a Breedline species. They are skilled with hypnotic abilities and capable of using their beautiful features to influence the thoughts of the Breedline species and humans.

HALF-BREED - A species born with the genes from both a Breedline and a succubus. They can bond with either species. Although they cannot shift into a wolf, they need blood from a Breedline to survive.

WICCA (or Wise One) - According to the Breedline species, a Wicca is the goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, moon, ghosts, and necromancy. They can do white magic (good) or dark (evil).

GUARDIANS (a.k.a. Spirits of the Forest) - They originated during the Middle Ages with the purpose of protecting the Breedline from the destruction of any creation of a dark Wicca. They can stay invisible with the power to move through any barrier and over any distance instantly.

THERIOMORPH - They are born with the genes of a Breedline, but do not shift into a wolf. They shape-shift into an enormous black panther. They possess powers of mind manipulation and random visions of the future. They must use the drug dopamine to suppress their urges. Their eye color shifts into a bright lavender when their Theriomorph nature takes over. In some cases, the Breedline see them as a threat to their species.

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, twice the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another at supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them, and they are immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

LUPA (she-wolf) - The ancestors descended from the old legend of the lycanthrope, but the moon has no power over them. The species only affects female offspring. A Lupa is a dangerous creature of which shape-shifts into a therianthropic hybrid wolf-like creature.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.