General Fiction posted February 10, 2020 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
rainbow bridge

A chapter in the book Twenty ways to die

Kassandra

by Iza Deleanu

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Kassandra loved cats. She was living and breathing for them. This was one of the reasons she volunteered for the city Animal Shelter. Every time she got a free hour she was running to see those poor fur ball orphans.

She was dreaming about the day when she is going to be allowed to adopt a kitty. In Alberta, the rules are: the tenant shall not have pets if the landlord doesn't allow it! It is the LAW!
She heard from her coworkers that the legislation might change in her favour. And man, she was waiting... for more than ten years. On the eleventh year, Kassandra decided to get her "kitty fix" by volunteering. Literally she was living in that shelter and she was so happy.

Her favourite was a three years boy named Mittens, a charming black ragdoll with white mittens. Every time somebody was approaching his cage she was praying that they will walk away and leave that sparkle boy alone. Mittens was hers. It's not like she didn't want him to be adopted, but she wanted to be his forever mummy and nobody else.

Today Mittens was very agitated, he looked sick, his pupils were dilated and his walk was funky. Kassandra called the vet on duty, and that guy didn't give a shit about Mittens; after all out there were thousands of cats waiting to be rescued. Mittens was just an "unlucky" number.

That was the last drop! Kassandra took Mittens from his cage and run out from the animal shelter and start calling all her friends that have cats. She needed an excellent vet. Kassandra finally found one that was the best in town. He agreed to see Mittens immediately. After a long consultation he came back with a bad news that was devastating for Kassandra. Her boy, Mittens, was very sick; he had an upper respiratory disease which unfortunately was incurable. He had a few hours to live.

Kassandra decided to take Mittens home and give him finally that forever home, the home which he always dreamt. She put Mittens in the bed and she lay next to him. She just wanted to die with Mittens, the cat she fell in love at first sight. Somebody once told her, be careful what you wish for, because it might come true.

And her wish comes true. Kassandra died holding Mittens close to her heart. In her lost moments she thought she will not be missed. She was an orphan just like Mittens. In a way this was the best thing that ever happened to her. She finally was not alone anymore; Kassandra hoped that she will be allowed to go with Mittens over the rainbow bridge, in cat's Paradise.

The landlord discovered Kassandra and Mittens a couple of days later, the cause of death was respiratory disease caused by living in the proximity of cats. What an irony... too much love can kill you...




This is another chapter in the challenge twenty ways to die. As usual thank you for reading and for the grammatical corrections.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.