General Fiction posted February 7, 2020 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Pez has to step up when others fail.

A chapter in the book The Pitches

From the Ashes -- Pallas

by Bill Schott



Pez finished counting the money again and slid it back under the floor. He'd withdrawn a few hundred to pay for the Valentine's Day party later. In total there was more than a half a million in cash, five ingots of gold worth around a hundred thousand dollars, and a softball-sized bag of diamonds with a value close to the same as the gold.

His father Peril had been able to gather a lot of assets over his years of crime that were never recovered. His story to authorities that he'd blown it all on the proverbial fast women and slow horses had apparently flown and no one was looking for his ill-gotten gains.

When the prison riot went down on New Years Eve of Y2K, Peril had already had his hidden wealth moved back to Michigan from Nevada and placed in the care of the local law enforcement officer, Sheriff Shawn. Although he had managed to eliminate a few of his in-stir enemies in the confusion of the convict chaos, a shiv of plexiglass finally found him. It had penetrated his solar plexus and been snapped off by the assailant. This made the blade impossible to remove and its continued internal cutting ensured. He never left the prison alive and was cremated within hours of the death certificate being signed.

This incident preceded the birth of Baby Boy Pitch by a month and a half, as Peril's wife pushed the boy out at two a.m on Valentine's Day. The boy was born at the free clinic off Warren Avenue and mother and child were released back into the care of Zeb Jones, Peril's brother-in-law.

After being named Pallas, through a bizarre miscommunication, the boy was given up by his mother and Pez was assigned as his guardian. Sabata didn't want a child that reminded her of her departed husband and chose to seek her postpartum life out west where she originated. She wasn't aware that her husband's money had been given to Pez by his dad's friend.

Pez bought her a bus ticket and gave her some funds to secure a modest apartment while she started her new life. She wouldn't be missed, with the exception of the sheriff and Zeb who had both serviced her in an effort to keep her spirits up. They also both used protection.

Using the floor-stashed resources prudently, Pez was able to get his half-brother through his preschool years, teens, and into the present. He never answered questions as to where the money came from, and never let Pallas know that finances were never an issue.

Valentine's Day had now finally rolled around and it was time to celebrate Pallas's twentieth birthday. They had both come so far together and would likely stay together even longer. The time would come though, when Pallas would need to learn all that occurred with his parents and in this town while he had been been kept blissfully unaware. Perhaps it would be today.



 




Gold ingots contain 99.5% pure gold. Bars are required to weigh 400 troy ounces (12kg or 20 pounds). Google.com

Image from Google Alamy.com

I realize this is completely in narration, but covering twenty years makes instances of individuals speaking difficult to assign importance for one instance or the other.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.