Letters and Diary Fiction posted January 29, 2020 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
bucket list

A chapter in the book The Book of Retirement

Summer Bird

by Iza Deleanu


I told my mom about my intention to retire at fifty. My mom was not surprised, she said that in Romania if you are working for the army, fifty is the max, after the revolution, of course. I mumbled to myself: fifty for the army and one hundred for the respected university professors. These eminent professors are usually leaving for a better world during a lecture. What a wonderful time to be!

What she doesn’t know is, if I retire I am not going to go back full-time to Romania; this not because I don’t want to, but because I need to be here for six months a year, so I can collect my pension. You see, even you want to retire, you can’t cut the strings to Canada. I guess once you become a citizen your bones must stay here no matter what, it is part of the contract. God, is there an exception to this rule? Again, to my mind comes my husband's belief: Win the lottery and you're safe for the rest of your life!

Yeah sure like that money is multiplying by itself!
Anyway, my migration will be the opposite of the usual pattern. The retired people who have the means to live in two countries, leave Canada in the winter and come back in the spring. This local species is called Snow Birds. They have one nest in Canada and another one in USA, Mexico or Costa Rica, yup Costa Rica alias the new El Dorado! I will be the summer bird. I love (freak, not) my winters in Canada! It’s better to be here if a pipe bursts when is minus fifty or any other calamities visits your nest. After all you’ve paid an arm and a leg for this small apartment. It wasn’t my arm or leg per se, that department belongs to my husband.

I love summer back home because is plus forty and I can spend time by the Black Sea or I could take my mom and go to the mountains. Oh, how I wish to be there now: clean air, beautiful views, and faith… like going to the monasteries for spiritual purification.

Fly birdie, the summer is near… Crap I can’t afford this yet! Another item on my bucket List for after...  

 




All the stories from this book can be read by themselves. As always, thank you so much for your support, and for your grammar corrections.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.