Satire Script posted January 27, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rotating pairs grouse about odd one out.

Round Robin

by Elizabeth Emerald

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Round Robin


Act 1: Tom, Dick, and Harry.


Scene 1: Tom's yard; Tom's pulling crabgrass. (enter Dick)



Tom: What an eyesore!




Dick: Well, we've had a drought.



Tom: Not my lawn. I mean Harry's garage door. Must have been 20 years I've been looking at that damned cracked window pane, with that cruddy plank of plywood shoved over it. What a crummy camo job -- it's like putting a guerrilla in pink-and-purple polka dots. He should've at least used saran wrap and scotch tape if he's too lazy to fix it.



Dick: Tom, surely you exaggerate. I'd say it's been 19 years, tops.



Tom: Doesn't bother you, having to look at that?



Dick: Hell, yes. Something's wrong with that man. He fusses and frets over pruning those damned bushes right and left of that window, but God forbid he take a break and replace the glass.



Tom: You got that right. And those bushes. I don't get why he has to sculpt them so symmetrically, like a pair of marble statues. These here rounded ones look like emasculated, pre-electric Afros. And then you have those there army-issue flat-tops. They're living trees, for Chrissake -- not a petrified forest -- let 'em blow in the breeze once in a while.



Dick: And what's with the water-logged lawn? He must be drowning that poor grass to death -- else why all the bald spots? He does the twice-a-week, doesn't-miss-a-spot, every-blade-exactly-perfect buzz-cut, but leaves foot-long, scraggly side-whiskers. God forbid he be bothered to take an extra ten minutes to use an edge trimmer.









Scene 2: Dick's yard; Dick's just finished mowing. (enter Harry)



Dick: What an eyesore!



Harry: Well, we've had a drought.



Dick: Not my lawn. I mean Tom's garage door. Must have been 20 years I've been looking at that damned what-color-was-it winner in the Pittsburgh Paint Peel-Off.



Harry: Dick, surely you exaggerate. I'd say it's been 19 years, tops.



Dick: Doesn't bother you, having to look at that?



Harry: Hell, yes. Something's wrong with that man. He fusses and frets over his crummy crabgrass, but God forbid he take a break and paint the garage.



Dick: You got that right. And those bushes. I don't get why he has to let them grow wild like a tribe of scary-spiky electrified Mohawks, or Acid-era frizz-balls out to the O-zone. The ones he hasn't managed to kill yet, God-only-knows-how. Wouldn't pass military muster, no way. They're trees, for Chrissake -- treat 'em with respect. Don't let them grow all willy-nilly.



Harry: And what's with the crabgrass? It's an annual, for Chrissake -- it will croak in a month anyway. Besides, why in the world would you yank out the one-and-only so-to-speak greenery in that nuclear-winter nightmare of a lawn-scape? Everything else is double-dead brown-and-out. I'll bet the man has never watered the lawn in his life. I've sure never caught him, and dead lawns tell no tales.









Scene 3: Harry's yard; Harry's been watering for hours. (enter Tom)



Harry: What an eyesore!



Tom: Well, we've had a drought.



Harry: Not my lawn. I mean Dick's garage door. Must have been 20 years I've been looking at that damned rotted-out rats' paradise. Perfect place for a garage band -- a band of raccoons.



Tom: Harry, surely you exaggerate. I'd say it's been 19 years, tops.



Harry: Doesn't bother you, having to look at that?



Tom: Hell, yes. Something's wrong with that man. He fusses and frets over his damned store-bought, short-cut-to-perfection sod job, but God forbid he take a break and replace those boards.



Harry: You got that right. And those bushes. I don't get why he has to whack half the life out of them. Look at that lopsided monstrosity -- what a hack job amputation. They're trees, for Chrissake -- you don't go lopping off their left arms just for the heck of it.



Tom: And what's with the burnt-out crop circle smack in the center of his otherwise golf-worthy green. You'd think that after all he's spent on that stupid sod he'd just go out and buy another sheet for Chrissake -- shove that sucker in there and be done with it. How lazy can you be -- on top of being too damned lazy to grow his own lawn to begin with.















Act 2: Mary, Jane, and Sue.





Scene 1: Mary's kitchen; Mary, Jane, Sue having coffee. (exit Mary)



Jane: What an eyesore!



Sue: Is that general soreness, or something specific?



Jane: Look at that sink. Like an over-run orphanage, chock full of abandoned dishes. Meantime, as always, nary a knickknack out of alignment -- God forbid you even think of touching one of her precious ceramic chickens, much less moving it half-a-half an inch off its mark. But the dishes! Must have been 20 years since these poor plates spent the night in their rightful home. All these deserted cabinets -- looks like a celluloid Ghost Town.



Sue: Jane , surely you exaggerate. I'd say it's been 19 years, tops.



Jane: Doesn't bother you, having to look at that?



Sue: Hell, yes. Something's wrong with that woman. She fusses and frets over dusting those ridiculous roosters, but God forbid she take a break and get those dishes properly bathed and put to bed.



Jane: You got that right. And those clunky cluckers. I don't get why she has to set them so symmetrically, like a regiment of soldiers. They're birds, for Chrissake -- let 'em fly out of formation once in a while.



Sue: And what's with the put-me-out-of-my-misery-already vacuum? She must be inhaling that poor rug to death -- else why all the bald spots? She does the twice-a-week, doesn't-miss-a-spot suck job, but leaves all the crud behind. God forbid she be bothered to take an extra ten minutes to change the way-way-past-burst-point bag and Heimlich the hose first.







Scene 2: Jane's kitchen; Mary, Jane, Sue having coffee. (exit Jane)



Sue: What an eyesore!



Mary: Is that general soreness, or something specific?



Sue: Look at that sink. Not so much as a spoon to be found, but God forbid she deigns to dusts her filthy figurines. Must have been 20 years since those suckers last got the brush-off.



Mary: Sue , surely you exaggerate. I'd say it's been 19 years, tops.



Sue: Doesn't bother you, having to look at that?



Mary: Hell, yes. Something's wrong with that woman. She fusses and frets over doing every last dish and its side-kicks, but God forbid she take a break and hose down those hideous Hummels.



Sue: You got that right. And those Hummels. I don't get why she has to let them go wild like an unruly pack of hoodlums. They're statuettes, for Chrissake -- treat 'em with respect. Don't let them go all willy-nilly.



Mary: And what's with the IN-YOUR-FACE vacuum? She doesn't dust so much as half a Hummel, but somehow she's suddenly become obsessed with sucking up every last invisible particle in the rug? Something smells fishy to me. Actually, smells like Pinesol -- reeks! -- as if the toilet bowl had drunk the whole bottle and OD'd on the stuff. Besides, do you notice how that vacuum is always ostentatiously greeting you -- and tripping you -- when you walk in the door? Seems suspiciously like a What-A-Good-Housekeeper-I-Am stage job to me. I'll bet the woman has never vacuumed the rug in her life. I've sure never caught her, and dirty rugs tell no tales.







Scene 3: Sue's kitchen; Mary, Jane, Sue having coffee. (exit Sue)



Mary: What an eyesore!



Jane: Is that general soreness, or something specific?



Mary: Look at that sink. Scum city all around. Not a single dirty dish, but God forbid she bother to scrub out the sink after she's evacuated its immaculate denizens. Must have been 20 years since that sucker last got de-slimed.



Jane: Mary, surely you exaggerate. I'd say it's been 19 years, tops.



Mary: Doesn't bother you, having to look at that?



Jane: Hell, yes. Something's wrong with that woman. She fusses and frets over her pretentious collection of ersatz-Asian Geisha-Girlie VAHses but God forbid she take a break and scour that filthy sink.

Mary: You got that right. And those dreadful, made-only-in-America, patronizing imposters with their chop-sticked hair-styles and slits-for-eyes. I don't get why she has to crowd them all to the right side of the mantel like that. I realize that Orient means east means right, but really! Can't we let half the harem migrate west already? They're citizens, for Chrissake -- born right here in Cheaptown, USA.



Jane: And what's with the AWOL vacuum? She doesn't so much as pretend to need it. You'd think that after all she's spent on that stupid pseudo-Oriental rug to match her phony VAHses she'd at least put on a solicitous show of vacuuming the thing. How lazy can you be -- on top of being too damned lazy to look for a decent rug to begin with.








Write A Script contest entry

Recognized


Thanks to Sarah Christian for the artwork: Mysteries

This parody play starring six "parrots" in parallel pairs was inspired by gossiping neighbors (not necessarily mine!) to whom I am grateful for the entertainment. The blatantly repetitive literal and metaphorical repetition from one scene to the next is by design. I hope that my devilish device amuses the reader as much as it did the writer.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Sarah Christian at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.