Letters and Diary Fiction posted January 20, 2020 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
fantasy book about retirement

A chapter in the book The Book of Retirement

What if

by Iza Deleanu


I always wonder what my life will be as a retiree. I still have lots of years to go, and in the current economic climate I am not even sure if I am going to make it to that golden age ? What can I do?  Nothing, just enjoy life to the fullest. Of course, all will be possible only if I will keep my sanity and wits and some coins to save me from misery.

When I go to my trips - for each I end up, paying for years - I am always jealous of those old couples that seems to be the life of the party. How the heck they do it? I am grumpy all the time, and even when I'm supposed to relax and enjoy the view, I always end up think about … what if? What I will do tomorrow? What if  I lose my job, how am I going to make it? Are all the people my age living this horror story?

I look at my husband who peacefully sleeps by my side, he just lives! I wish to be like him and che sara, sara. He must have figured out retirement already. Or he was born lucky, he was born without what if. Maybe this is a women thing. We can’t rest in peace, even when we get sick. We are burning with fear and in our delirium, we scream "what if!"

The other day I went to the doctor's to complain and to ask for some medicine against what if. The doctor listened to me patiently, but I was looking into his eyes, and felt that he was laughing inside his mind. Probably he was listing all the available psychiatrists in the area and wondering in the same time what to write as a reason for my visit to his office. Is there a syndrome for what if, discovered by the modern science? I interrupted his reverie and asked innocently:

“So doctor, what should I take to get rid of the what if disease?"

            Without thinking the doc said:
” You need lots of sun and rest for 365 days.”

What? I live in Edmonton, remember?  Half of those 365 days are spent without sun, in the dark and covered in snow.  And with what money? What if  I am taking time off to recover and I am fired.
 How I am going to retire?

 




This morning I got this idea to write a fiction and funny book about retirement. I am ages away from this, but is O.K to worry about. As usual thank you for reading and for pointing out the grammatical errors. English is my third language so is far away from perfection.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.