Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted January 20, 2020 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
retire when you are young

A chapter in the book The Book of Retirement

Trimming the size

by Iza Deleanu


I am always amazed by how we humans think.
When we are young, and we want to have a family and comfort we 
always chase  after the next big thing: bigger car and a bigger home, big, big and biggggggggg. Then when we get past our fifties we start thinking in reverse: the house is too big for two people and a cat; the cars are too big, and we feel discomfort driving and especially parking in these tiny new wave spots.  We look back and say:

” What the hell we were thinking with this huge house. How are we going to clean it and pay for the repairs?”

 Then we start thinking, maybe we should downsize, get a one bedroom appartment. But heck, how are we  going to fit our life in one room?
Nope! There are too many memories to pack  in it's too much trouble ? Let’s move on and we will figure it out in a couple of years.

In the meantime, the mortgage is killing our appetite and forget about travels! We are going to enjoy this luxury when you retire? Maybe ? “Upstairs”? If we were a good kids if not we will have one hell of a vacation! After all the dream was always a hot spot on this globe. Shake it baby and let it… snow?

I am here now and I don’t want to go through this. So, we started small from the beginning: two-bedroom apartment with two cats, no kids. Remember: kids are a luxury now days! Pssst, leave the cats out of this!

One day walking through my neighborhood I saw a retirement home. Damn it! We should have reserved a spot here, because  old age lasts longer than youth. I guess if you moved here in your forties you would become used to the idea of living small and being dependent and it will not come as a surprise when you get old and the only thing you can afford is a home away from home on the streets.

I think this is an amazing business idea. Live in a retirement home starting with your forties and you will be in an all-inclusive resort for the rest of your life. You can even have kids here, they must get used to the idea of being old and lonely and in decay!

What the heck am I talking about! I think this is my worst nightmare, I must fear dying alone and not being able to afford a normal life. It’s my fault that I did not consider the retirement section when I was born. Now I am paying for it! So here it’s to you my fellow friend. If you are in your forties go and view a retirement home, move in and leave happily until your last breath. Downsizing is the new fen-shui.

 




I am going close to the fifties so I am starting to think about securing my future in a ... retirement home. I heard some horror stories, but sometimes we need to take a leap of faith. Anyway with the declared age of retirement I might be dead before reaching that point... so dream on, Baby! As usual thank you for taking the time to read my story and for the grammar corrections.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.