Biographical Non-Fiction posted January 20, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
non-fiction experience

Should Have Been Home Yesterday

by bhogg

I should have been home yesterday, but you know what they say, "Stuff happens."
 
Anyone with sense knows it's dangerous to pick up a hitch-hiker. Guess I don't qualify. The road from New Mexico to Texas then hanging a left toward Alabama is lonely; company might help. Besides, this one looked harmless. The field-jacket, black stocking cap and paratrooper boots suggested military. What the heck, one veteran helping another.I pulled my small VW Beetle to the shoulder, lowered my window and waved the hitch-hiker over. He got in, tossed his small bag to the back seat and said, "Thanks. I've been walking for an hour and was getting tired." It was then I knew my rider was not a guy, but a girl. An ugly one for sure, but definitely female. She smelled like dirty socks.
 
"No problem. I've been yawning, so having you next to me should help me stay awake." Trying to be discreet, I lowered the window and turned the vents to fresh air. It helped...barely. Making small talk, I said, I'll be on this road until Texas and then on to Alabama. Where are you headed?"
 
"I'm coming from California and want to be as far away as possible! Alabama sounds good."
 
I regretted revealing my plans. We drove for a few miles and I continued, "Why so adamant about leaving California?"
 
She looked at me as if I were an idiot. "Haven't you heard? California's going to have an earthquake, break off and fall into the ocean. Millions will die."
 
I peered at her over my sunglasses to see if there was a smile or other tell. Nothing. “I know California is on a fault line, but you’re talking catastrophic.  How do you know this?”
 
Smugly, she replied, "Barnabas said so"
 
"Who's Barnabas?"
 
"He's a prophet. By the way, when are you wanting to have sex with me?"
 
"What are you talking about? I don't want to have sex with you."
 
"Every other guy who's picked me up wanted to." Petulantly, she continued, "I wouldn't mind you know."
 
"Not interested; in fact, when I picked you up, I thought you were a guy, so sex was not on my radar."
 
We just entered Texas when I stopped for gas. She went to the bathroom. Even though I'd only pumped one gallon, I took off. Hopefully I'd find gas soon.
I did manage to gas up a few miles down the road. An hour later, a huge semi passed me. Seated in the passenger seat was my hitch-hiker. She looked agitated, tapping the driver's wide shoulders and jabbing her finger toward me. With a grimace on his bearded face, he glared at me. He tapped his breaks and pulled right. Luckily, I turned onto an exit. Off the interstate, I took side road after side road. It took a lot longer, but I finally got to Alabama alive and well.
 
I should have been home yesterday, but you know what they say, "Stuff happens."



True Story Contest contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. bhogg All rights reserved.
bhogg has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.