Supernatural Fiction posted January 11, 2020 Chapters:  ...42 43 -44- 45... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE IMMORTAL

Hell Hath No Fury

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thank you for taking the time to read my chapter. It's still in the working stages, so if you spot mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy!
Previously . . .

After an age-old creature—buried deep in the ground—rises from years of peaceful slumber to feast on humans, it attacks Jena McCain—a young artist who has the ability to speak with the dead—and infects her with the Rougarou curse. As the virus spreads through her body, Jena must resist her newly found urges for human blood for one hundred and one days. If she succumbs to the blood lust, she will become the thing that has cursed her.   
 

Now that the creature is hunting humans, and infected an innocent young girl, God tasks Lailah—a battle angel gifted with the power of holy fire—with an important mission. She must take the Fury and Sebastian back to earth for the sole purpose of destroying this savage creature.

Now, as Jena heals in the hospital, she reaches out to the only person left in the world she can trust. When Jena contacts Angie—her childhood best friend—she reveals to her the dreadful news of Todd and Sophie’s deaths. Leaving out most of the details, Jena decides to tell her friend about the creature and the curse when she arrives to the hospital.  
        

The next day, Angie arrives to the Bates Hospital to be by Jena’s side. As Jena tells her about the creature and the curse, Angie reveals to Jena a secret of her own. When she explains to Jena about the Breedline species, and that she too, was born with the genetics, Jena is astounded.

As the bond between the two friends become closer than ever before, Angie promises Jena she will do everything she can to help her. Left with no other choice, Angie decides to reach out to the Breedline Covenant for help.

Meanwhile, as Angie has Jena moved to the safety of the Breedline Covenant, the creature manages to seduce Jena, and tricks her into drinking her own blood. Now that the curse is set into motion, Jena is doomed to become what she fought so hard to resist . . . a bloodthirsty killer. Just when Jena begins to feel as though she has lost all hope, someone mysteriously leaves a journal in her bedroom. Soon after, she discovers it’s a memoir from the 1800s and belongs to a Nicolas Ratcliff. As Jena continues to read on, she finds herself drawn to this mysterious person and that he is the creature’s younger brother. When she finishes reading the last entry, there is a note addressed to her. Nicolas asks Jena to come alone to the Salem Cemetery at dusk to help him end his brother’s curse and save a young girl that his brother holds captive.    
      

Regrettably, Jena must face her worst fears. Now that she had weakened to the creature, she had to confess the bad news to her best friend and to the Covenant, not to mention Nicolas’s journal.  While the Breedline Covenant process Jena’s dilemma, the battle angels are to arrive at dusk to help Jena destroy the creature.

While the Breedline prepares for the battle angel’s arrival, they unexpectedly discover Jena has shifted into her creature and somehow made it past the Covenant’s security. When Tessa and Angie search Jena’s room, desperate to find out why she took off and where she went, they find a note hidden under her mattress. After reading it, they are completely shocked to find out Jena is heading to the Salem Cemetery to help Nicolas Ratcliff destroy the creature. Before the angels arrive at dusk, they gather everyone in a meeting. When the battle angels and the Fury arrive, the Breedline tell them about Jena’s disappearance. While they discuss their plan, Bull notices Angie is missing and senses she is in distress. Without further delay, they form a plan—sending Jace’s beast ahead of everyone—to help Jena and Angie destroy the creature.

Now that Ashton discovers his brother Nicolas and Jena’s plan to destroy him, he reveals a disturbing secret unknown to all. Not only is Jena a Necromancer, explaining her ability to speak with the dead, she is also a descendant of Isabella and the daughter of Lucifer.
Completely devastated, Jena refuses to believe him. Just when she feels all hope is lost, Nicolas appears out of nowhere and vows to protect her. When Nicolas threatens his brother’s life, Ashton reveals to him that if he dies, so will he.

When Ashton is blindsided by Angie’s Breedline wolf, he shifts into his creature. Although her powerful wolf is no match for Ashton’s creature, she refuses to give up the fight. Unfortunately, the creature overpowers her.

As Jena begs Ashton to let her friend go, he ignores her plea for mercy.      
        

Continued . . .

When a distinctive scent mingled with the wind, it took Ashton by surprise. It was a scent like no other. The musky odor mixed with the smell of a wet dog infuriated him to no end. He snarled deep in his throat, sensing something big approaching from behind.

The light of the full moon cast its enormous reflection on a headstone ahead. The shadow of the dark figure was nothing he had ever encountered before. What the hell? There was much he still didn’t know about the secret world of the Breedline, but he knew whatever had come here wasn’t of their kind. It was something else. Something much more lethal . . . more powerful.

In the midst of his fury, he loosened his grip and released the Breedline wolf. The time it took him to look, something with sharp claws had grabbed him roughly by the scruff of the neck and lifted him off the ground.

Ashton was shocked as he dangled in mid-air by the shear strength of the thing that had ahold of him. He barely caught a glimpse of the shaggy beast, its pelt as white as snow, before he found himself sailing across the graveyard, tossed like a flimsy, rag doll.  

Just as he was about to slam into a nearby crypt, the same one that held Debi captive, he instantly vanished, leaving nothing behind but a cloud of smoke.

Angered by Ashton’s clever maneuver, the monstrous, white-haired beast reared back on his hind legs and let loose a deafening roar.

It felt like time stood still as Jena stared in bewilderment, wondering if her eyes were deceiving her. She could not take them off the malevolent beast standing only a few feet away. It stood on two legs, towering to the height of at least seven feet, covered with thick white fur, and the thing was visibly pissed. It was then she remembered what Angie had told her about Jace Chamberlain. He was the good-looking blonde who was married to Tessa and had the twin brother—known as the Chosen Son—that could create a fire-bomb out of the palm of his hand. Although Jace was born a Breedline, he was also like her, something entirely other, and rage was its catalyst, invoking his internal beast. 

A sense of relief took hold as Jena averted her eyes away from Jace’s beast and searched the shadows for Ashton to reappear. After a few seconds had passed, her inner subconscious suddenly came back to focus, telling her to see to Angie’s injuries. Without thinking, Jena rushed to her side. The moment she reached out, a hand grasped her arm, claws piercing her bare skin. She gasped and whirled around to find herself facing Ashton’s venomous stare. She tried to pull free, but his grip was too strong. 
  
“You will come with me,” Ashton demanded.

Instinctively, Jace’s beast dropped into a defensive stance, raising his razor-sharp claws, preparing to lunge forward. Before he could make a move, Nicolas shot over with incredible speed, so fast he was nearly a blur, and stood behind what was once his loving brother. 
 
With a watchful eye, the beast hung back and remained on guard.

“You’ll have to go through me first.”

At the sound of Nicolas’s voice, Ashton released his hold on Jena and spun around. “That,” he said in a tone that dripped with scorn, “can be arranged, little brother.”

Nicolas stood firm as Ashton lashed out, reaching for his throat. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion—the tips of his brother’s sharp claws aiming towards his jugular, and the snarling look on his wolfish face. It all mingled with Jena’s desperate screams.  

A distant memory from long ago suddenly flashed before Nicolas’s eyes: Isabella, falling to her knees at the sight of Ashton standing before her resurrected, and the horrified look on her face. In that split second, his hand automatically came up and grasped his brother’s wrist, squeezing it with an iron grip.

Disbelief passed over Ashton’s hellish face, and he looked decidedly less sure of himself than he had before. Then, his eyes went dark with rage, but his voice was numb. “How could you betray your own blood?”

Tormented by his brother’s bitter words, mixed emotions warred within Nicolas’s chest. Although he could not deny that Ashton had savagely murdered for many years, taking the lives of countless innocent people, and yet, he could not be at fault for what he had become. He himself was responsible for Ashton’s fate. 
  
Nicolas stared in sorrow at his cursed brother, wrestling with his own conscience. “Please forgive me, brother.” 

“You’re no brother of mine,” he viciously said, his face stern and unforgiving as he unexpectedly exploded into action. He jerked his arm back, violently snapping Nicolas forward and slammed his head into his face.

Jena screamed as Nicolas staggered on his feet and crumbled to his knees. Ashton lunged at him, claws out, and Nicolas went down hard, his head cracking against a gravestone, rendering him unconscious. Taking full advantage, Ashton slashed into Nicolas with a flurry of violent blows.

“No!” Jena helplessly cried out.

Still in his beast form, Jace sprang forward without hesitation. His roar offered Ashton only an instant’s warning before he even knew what hit him. With a single swipe of his arm, the beast delivered a powerful blow that sent Ashton tumbling backward. He disappeared in a cloud of dust as he smashed straight through the wall of a stone crypt.   
   
In the silence that followed, Jena searched anxiously for Ashton, but he was nowhere in sight. She hesitated, but only for a moment, and rushed over to Nicolas. When she knelt down, blood trickled from the corner of his mouth. Please, no, she dreadfully thought, smoothing a long strand of his hair back. You can’t die.  

“Please, Nicolas,” Jena said aloud, wiping at the blood on his face. “Don’t leave—”

Without warning, a dark winged-figure dropped from the sky. The sound of it landing startled Jena, compelling her to look up. Her eyes rounded as his bat-like wings unsheathed to their fullest and then snapped together as they tucked behind his back.  

His terrifying appearance would have brought Jena to her knees if she’d been standing. He had an aura of authority about him, radiating power of dominance over others. Was this devilish creature friend or foe? She thought, watching nervously as he came forward.

A sudden flicker of hope swept through Jena when she noticed the winged visitor exchanging a look of understanding with Jace’s beast. If they had any misgivings about being in the presence of one another, she found no trace of it so far.  

“Speak your name,” he said, scowling at her.

Although she tried to remain calm, her trembling voice betrayed her. “J-Jena. Jena McCain.”

He blinked in surprise at the name. “Are you the one who is cursed?”

Jena gaped up at him, seemingly uncertain how to respond. For all she knew, the bat-like creature standing before her was here to kill her. She shifted uneasily on her knees and scooted closer to Nicolas’s body. “Are you here,” she paused, swallowing the knot that had formed in the back of her throat, “to kill me?”

He regarded her with a skeptic stare. Then, he arched a brow and said, “My name is Apollyon. We have come to help you kill the creature who has cursed you.”  
  
“We?” asked Jena, looking at Apollyon confused.

Just then, two women came out of the darkness and moved to stand on opposite sides of Apollyon. The one on his right had the physique of a bodybuilder, and although it was nighttime, she wore a pair of dark sunglasses. The line of her square jaw was set hard in the dim light. Her intimidating expression reminded Jena of a contract killer. She then wondered if the woman was an assassin by day and a dominatrix by night going by all the black leather she had on, and the silver whip attached to her hip. The other woman seemed the opposite. She was feminine looking with long legs and had a conspicuously dark, mysterious presence about her. She almost seemed conceited by the way she stood and the smug expression on her face. 
 
Apollyon glanced to his right and said, “This is my sister, Electra.”

She acknowledged Jena with a slight nod.

As he started to introduce the long-legged woman on his left, she stepped forward and said, “Cut the chit-chat, brother. Let us get on with it.” She flipped her long hair back and smirked at Jena. “My name is Callisto,” she said, cocking a brow. “So, where is this creature?”

Jena shook her head, and before she could answer, Ashton suddenly appeared like a ghost out of thin air. “Come and kill me if you think you can,” he growled, glaring at Apollyon and his fraternal twin sisters. Then he glanced about the cemetery at Angie’s injured wolf and Jace’s beast with a wolfish grin. “You’ll have to do better than the dogs you sent.” 

To be continued . . .
 

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense their twin's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins are so strong, they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs their laws and oversees the species population.

THE BEAST - It is the second born son of the Chiang-Shih demon. When provoked into rage, he will shift into the Beast instead of the Breedline wolf. The Beast is also known as the Great White due to his white fur and enormous, two-footed stature. One bite from the Beast has enough venom to kill the Chiang-Shih demon, leaving the soul of the person the demon possessed unharmed.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers his birth father - who is possessed by the Chiang-Shih demon - murdered his mother when he and his twin brother were four years old. Raised by their new foster family and their Uncle Jacks, he later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast. With the help of his identical twin brother, Jem, and his bonded mate, Tessa, help him cope with his rage to keep the Beast at bay. He's an IT engineer, and is the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.