General Non-Fiction posted January 7, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Like water flowing over a sieve

An Unexpected Wave

by persevere

We heard something.

The car windows were wide open. That sound was coming from outside.
My alert driver sensed what it was.


There was little traffic on the country road and Mike accelerated to the best of the car's ability.
Cresting a hill, we beheld an incredible sight.



On the left of the low level bridge was an advancing wall of water and on the right , the parched river bed.

We watched in awe, and with some concern, as the bridge was submerged.

How were we going to proceed on our journey?

Almost miraculously, the bridge soon became visible again.
Heavy rain from up country had caused this wave but it was quickly absorbed by sieve like structure of the river bed.

With due caution we continued on our journey.






This Sentence Starts The Story contest entry


My thanks to donnadiann for the illustration.
This journey was actually undertaken 40 years ago by us, university students, heading home to Rhodesia for a short vacation. It was before the days of iPhones and the wave occurrence happened too quickly to set up photographic equipment.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. persevere All rights reserved.
persevere has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.