Mystery and Crime Fiction posted January 4, 2020 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paranormal Investigations!

A chapter in the book My Jigsaw Puzzle: The Missing Piece

My Jigsaw Puzzle!

by Commando


My Jigsaw Puzzle, the missing Piece, Chapter 1

Greetings, Friends!

Cathy Waldron (aka Tootie) and me, Bill Bishop (aka Commando) are co-authors of this book. Our wish is to make you laugh and cry, then leave you in a state of uncertainty as to what will happen next. We invite you to follow along and will appreciate your feedback and recommendations for improvement. As always, thank you for reading and best wishes wherever you are.


~Prelude~

 
Do paranormal investigators have exceptional abilities and powers beyond ordinary or normal folks?  Of course not!  Do they truly walk among us on Earth?  Cathy and I say, "You betcha!"  We believe they are plain, down-to-earth folks, who walk, talk, laugh, and cry.  They are, as well, at the frontline in paranormal research while collecting evidence for legal actions and to face the critics.
 
First off, let's be specific about the term "paranormal."  It's a loose term which can mean many things.  We think these are the best qualities, in no particular order: (1) ravenous curiosity about the unknown, (2) willingness to learn about strong topics, (3) perseverance in the face of a skeptical world, (4) ability to control one's emotions, (5) commitment to truth and accuracy, (6) comfort with boredom, (7) objectiveness over feeling . . . and, above all others, (8) adaptability;  because conditions can rapidly change on a hunt and one has to change with it. 
 
~About the Authors~
 
Cathy Waldron of New Hampshire plays herself, an "undercover paranormal investigator."  She uses industrial technology and hobby equipment to hunt for evidence of life after death.  She, as well, believes that evidence of ghostly activity can be found through scientific means such as recording audio, unusual temperature fluctuations, or capturing photographs.  She is quick to express how important it is if you want to become an investigator, or you want to get involved in the paranormal profession that goes with a team having years of experience, one should be fully aware of the dangers out there and how to conduct themselves professionally and safely.  She is both personable and beautiful.  Her search for the missing pieces of a murder puzzle seemingly has no limit, boundary, conclusion, or end.
 
Bill Bishop of Florida plays an "undercover paranormal investigator."  He is a handsome young man who was raised by his grandpa and grandma in their little log cabin in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee at Pigeon Forge.  Although packed like sardines in a can, Bill lived there until he graduated from high school.  Times were extremely hard; yet, they somehow managed to fill the cupboard with food, lamps with oil, stockings with treats, and their hearts with the Spirit of Christmas.  Although dirt poor, their faith in God and trust in one another, gave them the courage to face the difficult days ahead.  Bill is flirty, presumptuous, flamboyant, and will quickly say, "You better run like a rabbit, 'cause if I catch ya, I'm gonna kiss ya!"  Of course, those mountain women who wear no clothes say, "C'mon--make my day!"  Oh yes, Bill can be a silly gander at times.
 
~Characters~ 
Bill Bishop.............................................Plays himself and is the Co-Author
Cathy Waldron........................................Plays herself and is the Co-Author
Sue Coy..........................................................Best friend of Cathy Waldron
Jack Coy...................................................................................Sue's uncle
Bob Quigley.............................................................Sara Quigley's husband
Kate Waldron...............................................Cathy Waldron's younger sister
Sara Quigley.................................................Town Clerk and former teacher
Johhny Fish...................................................................Sara Quigley's lover
Howard Jones.......................................An old crazy man not related to Kate
Joey Jackson.......................................................Lover of moonshine whiskey
Samantha Higgins...............................................................Spinster in town
Samuel Preston..........................................................Local real estate broker
Louise..........................................................................................Librarian
*Character names will be listed as they enter the Novel*


~Special Note~

 
Some words are written in a way that is appropriate for mountain folks; yet, they are not always grammatically correct.  Characters, at times, will reflect earlier scenes in their lives.  They will, as well, actually talk with the reader. Wider spaces between words are due to the use of  "fully justified formatting."

~Chapter 1~
 
Conniving, domineering, and self-centered are three words that best described Sue Coy prior to her death. She used her enchanting nature like a secret weapon to get almost anything she wanted from anyone she wished. There was a whole lot of good in her; yet, one had to dig a hole deeper than a well to find it. Then, of course, it still took the right person with the right shovel!  Guess what?  That person was me, Cathy Waldron.  Although Sue's gone now, I think of her often and would do all the things we did together all over again with no regrets. Even the bad times seemed like good times as I look back on them.

I first met Sue in the spring of 1991 when I was sixteen. One year earlier, my mom and dad had their last knock-down, drag-out fight. Right then and there, Mom decided to pack up all her things--including me and my younger sister, Katie, and drive as far away from New Hampshire as the family car, a 1979 Plymouth Duster, would take us. Amazingly enough, we made it all the way to Gatlinburg, Tennessee, before our car broke down. Giving due consideration to our dilemma, that's where we decided to stay. It was at the local diner that I found out about Sue's past.

 
*******
It was Sue's 5th birthday, and they were having a big cookout down by the water. Sue's mom and dad had decided to go out in a canoe rowing while Sue stayed on shore building sandcastles with her uncle. Suddenly, out of nowhere, came a large boat, and the pilot was intentionally speeding right toward the canoe. The pilot crashed his boat into the backside of the canoe which threw Sue's parents into the water. The captain of the boat never stopped . . . and Sue's parents were nowhere to be found at the time. Four hours later, after frantic searching by the Fish and Wildlife Officers, both bodies washed ashore. Proof of who hit them was never determined; but some folks say, "It was Old Man Jones."

Old Man Howard Jones lived about a mile from town in an old beat up shack by a railroad track. He had no electricity, drew his water from an ol' cistern well in the yard, and had a horse named Skittish. Why Skittish? Because the poor horse was scared half to death of him. All Howard wanted to do was shout and holler about how cruel life had been to him. Even when no one was around to hear, he'd just keep on a hollerin'! He was a crazy ol' man, and my mother made it crystal clear that Katie and I must not go near him.

The locals at the diner said Howard was married once; yet, not for long. His young wife unexpectedly disappeared one day. She was a pretty thing, and some say, "She ran away with a younger man--with a slow hand and pockets full of money." Of course, most everyone still says, "He killed her . . . and got away with it."  Others say, "He burned her remains up in the backyard barbecue pit." This story has been the topic of conversation at the diner for 13 years.

So, guess what? I find out that Howard may have, as well, killed Sue's parents. Poor Sue! Having lost her parents at such a young age puts my mind in a rage. The story doesn't end there, either. Sue's gone through a tough time all right. Her uncle has, too! He contends that he's often visited by Sue's mother and father--poor fellow. "Hog squalor", I say; yet, not in a hurtful way!

Howard says, "I look across the water some nights, and still see 'em rowing in the canoe." Some folks say, "I'm crazy!" I say to them, "You, betcha!" I believe their ghosts are real, and their spirits aren't at rest yet. So, I'll shout and holler if I wanna, then those who don't like it--I'll shoot 'em!

 
"Oh, no . . . please don't shoot 'em, Howard!"
Hello, Friends!  Our goal is to find out who kill Sue's mom and dad, send evidence to convict, then witness the killer(s) hung by the neck until dead--enough said!  We've gotta bunch of finding out to do; yet, we promise you it'll get done--you, betcha!




Greetings, Friends! It is an honor having you read our work. Cathy and I appreciate your continued support. Your thoughts matter to us, and we ask that you offer suggestions for improvement. Hope you enjoy and will follow along. A "SALUTE" to Cathy for designing the awesome cover. Co-authoring with her is an honor. Best wishes and God Bless. Respectfully with Admiration, Cathy (Tootie) & Bill (Commando).
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Commando All rights reserved.
Commando has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.