General Fiction posted December 14, 2019 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sweet Puppy finds the right dumpster

A chapter in the book Be Wee With Bea Part2

Sweet Puppy to the Rescue

by Liz O'Neill




Background
Bea is just getting out of the wrong dumpster to see that Sweet Puppy discovered the right one Doolie intended them to go to. We will see what else Sweet Puppy discovered in this chapter.
Stepping down from the dumpster, Bea, the exasperated wee bear, stomped her toes, claws, and paws to get as much muck off them as she could. She felt relieved to get herself to the ground, sad when she noticed the ground had no dirt or grass. It was covered with the same black hardness that still covered Bea's Golden Path.

She remembered what she'd said to Scruffles at that horribly devastating moment when the two discovered her tracks buried. The same was going on here. The tracks of all who had the opportunity and privilege of walking upon this land lay buried under the same gloom.

The thought that someday all of the mud for clay pots-- topsoil for planting trees for Timothy--would be covered with blackness made her cringe inside. Her eyes grew round with worry. The softest of fallen pine needles for bedding and other unnamed dirt paths would be no more. She wondered how many dirt paths had been covered over and if any of them had been named.

She wondered if any of the stone pilers had paths buried under her feet. The concerned bear hoped very hard that none of the important piles of stones had been disturbed and moved or torn down to make room for this dark deadness. She was also sad when she thought of how many trees and maybe even someone's cave was under here.

She decided it was time to end her sad wondering. Ready to move on, she realized Sweet Puppy was not standing anywhere near her assigned post. She could see an excited puppy off in the distance, running toward them, tail wagging, with something her mouth.

It was not a chipmunk. Bea had to admit she was relieved about that. She had no idea what Sweet Puppy could have gotten into. As she got closer, Sweet Puppy slowed her pace. Very hesitant and resistant, she dropped the leg of chicken to tell what she'd been doing.

Determined they would not return home without having accomplished their goal, she did an investigation exercise. She didn't want everyone to be disappointed once again. They'd planned and practiced for a long time, even doing a dry run which turned out to be a very wet one.

She told of how she wondered if three was one and one was three. That ingenious puppy discovered that was exactly what had caused the confusion which led to a mushy, messy mishap. Neither Scruffles nor Bea had any idea what Sweet Puppy was talking about. But they did see chicken.

Noticing their confused expressions, Sweet Puppy explained further. Wondering if Doolie meant the last was the first, she investigated the farther one. All kinds of foods lay spread out for anyone to take without any dangerous dumpster diving required.

She'd found a sled which was kind of torn up but would do fine for carrying whatever they wanted to collect. She cheerfully announced she'd always dreamed of being a sled dog. Scruffles happily found quite a few packages of tuna, and Bea, several chipped jars of her "be good to myself" treat.

An official sled dog, Sweet Puppy led the joyous group home. As they danced their way back, Bea licked a non-chipped side of a honey jar and puzzled how one could be three and three be one.








I'd like to acknowledge MKFlood for their precious picture mccritters.
This is the 2nd book in the series Be Wee With Bea. Book One is available on Amazon and similar venues and on my webpage, www.beweewithbea.com ...I also have a fb page called be wee with bea. I'd love to have you check it out. You are invited to visit my portfolio on this FanStory site to catch up or sample other chapters.
My idea for this series of chapters came from the time at work when an abused woman and her brother told us how they survived the winter eating frozen foods left at the store dumpster. They eventually came to our shelter.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MKFlood at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.