General Fiction posted November 27, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
What can be done about an unhappy elf?

A Strike at Santa's Workshop

by Jake P.


Kolvar wasn't happy. In fact, he was very unhappy. This made him unpopular with the other elves in Santa's workshop who, in his opinion, were brainwashed puppets. Believing in Christmas Magic and happiness to children worldwide.

All he felt was that he was working day and night, for people he didn't even know, and receiving nothing in return. It wasn't money he wanted. It was recognition. Appreciation. But Santa got all the glory. Kids loved him, and couldn't wait for him to visit. Many even left out milk and cookies for him on Christmas Eve.

 Loving, thankful letters addressed to Santa came each year, but they all ended with the real reason they were writing. They wanted things for themselves.  Expensive things. Greedy little munchkins.

This year he would strike. He would refuse to work the long hours. At last he finished the poster he would carry to the workshop today.

Labor strike! Elves unite!

As he strode into the workshop, several elves glared at his sign in horror. He heard several of them call to him.

"Kolvar, you is a bad elf."

"Go away, Kolvar. You is making me feel bad."

"Put that sign away, Kolvar. You'll hurt Santa's feelings. He is a good man."

Ten minutes later, Zelphar ran up to Kolvar. "Santa wants to see you. He wants you to come to his residence." Then he shook his head and walked away.

Santa offered coffee and cookies when he arrived, but Kolvar refused.

"You wish to strike, I understand."

"Yes. Elves work hard with little reward. It's not right."

"You act as if you speak for all the elves, but none of the others wish to join you. It is only you who is unhappy, Kolvar. Tell me why."

"I work hard, day and night, making toys for children, but no one is thanking me. No one gives me milk and cookies like they is giving you. I is skillful. Make superior toys. Where is my respect? Why aren't children praising me for my work? They worships you. Why not me?"

"Children like the work you do, they just don't get to see how hard you work. We live in a secret place, and they just can't come here."

"It's not right. I work very hard."

"I understand. You need to get out of the workshop for a while. Go out and see how the children live. This year I'll give you the duty of watching children in their homes. You'll be one of the 'elf on the shelf' squad. You can visit three families, observe the children, determine who's good and who's bad. Then you report back to me and give me recommendations of what the children need, and what they want for Christmas. You will suggest what presents they should get."

For the first time in his life, he left Santa's Workshop to visit homes of people. He would decide for himself what they needed. The first of the three was the home of the Braxton family. Two children lived here. Tony was eight years old, and he had a four-year-old sister, Beth. He observed them at play. Tony teased his younger sister and wouldn't let her come into his room. He shut his door and told her to leave him alone. Beth cried.

That night he sat on Tony's head while he slept and gave him nightmares. As the boy tossed and turned and talked in his sleep, Beth came into his room and got in bed with him.

"I heard you cry out. I've brought you my brave doll. She will help you sleep."

Tony put his arm over his sister and covered her. "Thank you, Beth. I had a scary dream." And they snuggled for the rest of the night, while Kolvar sat invisible on the shelf. I was wrong. Tony loves his little sister.

For two more days he watched them squabbled. Tony treated her badly from time to time, but at other times he would read to her, while she sat giggling in his lap.

His next assignment was much much harder. Clara Hart, an eight-year- old lived with her mother on the street. Her father had died, and the bank foreclosed on their home. They slept in cardboard boxes at night and begged for money during the day. Clara helped by singing. People paused and listened, enthralled by her voice. Most placed money in a box.

She is sweet and thoughtful, and she has such a beautiful voice. What in the world can Santa bring to her and her mother? Kolvar wept over the plight of the family.

His last assignment was a group home for children whose parents could not support them. Children moved in and out of the home. A few were adopted, and they transferred others to foster homes for care. But there were always children there.

For three days, he saw the children being clothed, fed, and tutored. The staff were kind and caring people, and they treated the children well. But these boys and girls needed a family. People to love them. A place where they belonged and were cherished.

How can Santa give them what they need? He can show love and caring with gifts that will make the happy, but how can he heal their hearts?

It depressed him. What can Santa do for these children?

As he headed back to report to Santa, he passed happy families shopping with children. Gazing at toys on the shelves, and sitting on a mall Santa's laps making requests, they all were happy. He delighted at their merriment. They were... beautiful.

"Tell me about the Braxton children, Tony and Beth. Were they naughty or nice?" Santa asked.

"Tony was mean to his sister sometimes, but he loved her. I'd say they were both good."

Santa smiled at him. "So what do you recommend I give them for Christmas?"

After a pause, he said, "I think you should give them an individual gift they will like, but in addition, they should get a good book that Tony will enjoy reading to Beth."

"Very wise. That's what we'll do. Now tell me about Clara Hart the girl who is living with her mother on the street. What should I give her?"

Tears brimmed Kolvar's eyes. "She is such a sweet loving child. And she sings so beautifully. Can you give her a guitar for her to learn to play? It's not practical for the cardboard box she lives in, but she would love it."

"I see. I like your idea. There's a man I know who can help. He runs a music store. I'll leave the present for Clara at his shop with a note on where to find her. I know that when he hears her sing, he'll want to give her lessons on the guitar. That will lead to good things for Clara and her mother. Now what about the group home you visited. What shall I give the children who live there?"

"Sir, those children need presents to make them happy, but I just don't think there's a way to give them what they need."

"And what is it they need, Kolvar?"

"They need to belong. They need families and love. How can we ever give that?"

After a moment as Santa studied the emotion in Kolvar's voice, he said, "Yes, it is a sad situation. We can give them things, but we cannot give them the families to love them. But we can use Christmas Magic to soften the hearts of the community. They will show up at the steps of the home with gifts and cheerfulness. And some of them will want to share their homes with these children. They will become foster parents."

Kolvar nodded and his heart grew lighter.

Santa reached out and placed his hand on Kolvar's shoulder. "You have done well. Are you still thinking the elves should strike?"

"No Santa. I was wrong. The children need us. I was being selfish... thinking only about myself. Please give me a job and let me do all that I can to make them happy."

"It is you, Kolvar, who has received the best gift. The Christmas Spirit, a desire to help and comfort others, is truly a part of you now."



Christmas Story contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jake P. All rights reserved.
Jake P. has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.