General Fiction posted November 15, 2019 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
John Barnabus delivers Matt Cory back to prison

A chapter in the book The Convict Train

The Journey Ends

by Mr. Green



Background
The mountain man called Badger refuses to leave the trail of Bo Meadows. This leaves John Barnabus to return an escaped convict to prison, and to get a Pinkerton man to a doctor.
It was early afternoon when the tower guard called down from his cat-walk. "Two men on horses, Comin' up the road."

The three guards who were standing outside the administration building turned to look. One of them approached the tower, "Do you recognize them, Jed?"

Jed Carney took another look, "No, don't think I do, Tom." Thomas Riley turned and began to walk back to the other two guards when Jed called out again. "Tom!" Jed walked inside the tower and got his rifle.

"Tom, I take it back. One of you better get the Superintendent right away."

The two riders had just entered the gate along the fence-line. They were now on prison property and approaching the administration building. Tom Riley told one of the guards who were standing with him to get Superintendent Paine, then Riley heard the other guard standing to his left.

"Well, son-of-a-gun, He did it, Tom."
"He sure did."

Superintendent Paine was in his office preparing to write his report to the governor, He had spent most of the morning in town visiting with Levi and Elizabeth. He had only seen their son Jacob once and he looked forward to the visit.

Levi's brother Kyle was still with them although he had taken a room at the Continental Hotel in town, not wanting to feel like he was intruding on their space, given how the house was so small.

Now Superintendent Paine, he was left with little time to finish his report, and he did not want any interruptions so when the door came open unexpectedly the expression on his face was not a welcoming one.

"Before you start, Warden Justice is on the grounds and he is to handle all situations that come up."

The guard was about to back out quietly, when another guard came up to the door. "Mr. Paine, you're going to want to hear this."

Paine sat back in his chair. Their reactions were not what he had expected.

"Ok, come on in."

Three minutes later Superintendent Paine was walking out of the Administration building, looking for John Barnabus and more surprisingly, Matt Cory.

"John!" The superintendent extended his hand as soon as he approached. "... you made it back. I'm sure glad to see you..." He took a moment to look around.

"Badger, Paterson, what of them?"

"Badger is still out there, he didn't want to lose Meadows trail."

"...and Joseph?"

"We almost lost him, he got shot up pretty good. I left him in town, at the Doc's place." John glanced over at Matt Cory who was standing between two guards, a few feet away.

"It was Cory who shot Joseph. He might lose his left arm."

"John, I'm sorry." Paine said.

"I brought him back to you Mr. Paine, but I will be filling charges of attempted murder of a federal agent, as soon as I can."

"Let me know if I can help you in any way, while you're here."

"Thank you, Mr. Paine, I will do that. Mostly, I just want to get back into town and hear what the Doc has to say about Joseph's condition, and then I'm going to find Levi's house and check on him."

"You've never been there?"

"No!"

"I saw them this morning." Paine said, then he glanced over at the guards, who were standing quietly watching.

"Tom, would you see to it, that convict is properly processed and assigned to a cell inside these prison walls?"

"Yes sir, Mr. Paine." Replied Tom

The Superintendent and John Barnabus watched as the guards escorted Matt Cory into the administration building and through the heavy steel gate.

"John. You bringing Matt Cory back to this prison as soon as you did has allowed me to write in my report that all of the convicts from Seatco Prison arrived safely. I can't thank you enough."

"We were fortunate in many ways Mr. Paine." John said as he took up the reins to his horse. "I should be getting back to town."

"Before you leave, John. Let me give you directions to Levi and Elizabeth's home.".

It was a quiet ride into Walla Walla. It gave John Barnabus time to clear his head of the gunfight and all that had happened.

He couldn't shake the questions he had in the back of his mind. Questions he knew he would never have the answers to. The most puzzling to him was the relationship between Bo Meadows and Badger. He had gained a great deal of respect for that old man, and finally he thought it best to leave well enough alone.

He checked on Joseph Paterson and found out he was going to have to stay in town for a while to let his body heal, and to see the doctor every other day until he was told differently.

The doc told John that Paterson's arm was probably not going to heal completely, explaining that he would never have full use of his left arm again. But he would not lose the arm itself, if he took care of it now. When Paterson left, he told doctor Nye that he would find a place in town.

By the time John had checked into the hotel and found Paterson, evening was coming on and it was time to visit Levi, and Elizabeth.

He left Paterson in his room and as he left the hotel, he felt some of the day's tensions leaving him. Now he could only think about how lucky this day had turned out. After all he had a new nephew in this world and John Barnabus was looking forward to meeting the little guy.

Elizabeth Sawyer was sitting in a rocking chair on the porch with little Jacob all wrapped in a warm blanket. She didn't notice the visitor until he was right in front of the house.

As he was getting off his horse, her expression was at first curious, and then her smile grew bigger and bigger as the man turned up his hat and walked through the gate.

Seeing the baby in her arms John indicated she did not have to get up from the chair. When he got to the porch, he saw a tiny hand stretching from the blanket reaching for his mother, and then, tiny fingers wrapped around the edge of the blanket as Jacob yawned. He pulled the edge of the blanket to his mouth and his eyes shut once again.

John quietly kissed Elizabeth on the cheek and then Jacob had his full attention. Elizabeth offered to let John Barnabus carry his nephew to the crib but John was afraid his big hands would hurt such a tiny baby, and he shook his head, indicating he was not comfortable with the idea.

Elizabeth stood up and smiled, she looked towards the door and john held it open for her. They walked to Jacob's room and placed him in his crib, then they both walked back out onto the porch.

"John, we were all talking about you today. We were worried about you and Badger, Levi told me that another man was with you, I think they said his name was Paterson."

Elizabeth had sat back in her rocking chair, while John took one of the chairs next to a small stand. He looked around and then he glanced up at the rolling hills that surrounded the property. Finally looking back at Elizabeth, he said,

"We found the escaped convict. I brought him back today and left him at the prison with Superintendent Paine."

"I'm glad to hear that, John. Mostly I'm glad to see you and to know that you got back ok." She felt something wasn't right, and it occurred to her that John had not mentioned Badger or Paterson's wellbeing, so she asked about them.

"Badger wanted to stay on the trail of Bo Meadows. I don't know where he is right now. and Paterson, he was shot up pretty good but he's going to make it ok."

John saw the look on her face, it puzzled him at first, then he asked, "You worry a lot about Levi, don't you?"

"I worry about him all the time. It frightens me that one day he might not come home to me and Jacob"

:"Where is Levi?" John asked "... and where is Kyle?"

"They went out to my father's ranch today. Kyle wanted to visit for a while, and Thomas Cardell. he's my father's foreman."

"I remember Thomas."

"Thomas told Levi, the next time he was out that way, there was something my father wanted to discuss with him."

"Do you know what it is?"

"No! but he just got some new cattle on his ranch and he might be needing Levi's help. If that's not it, then I have no idea."

John wanted to say something re-assuring but he did not know what, finally he said.

"Ellie, the only thing I can tell you is this. Life is like a book. One that is very personal to each of us, and it's not like any other because it's all about adapting to change. Now that change comes with success, it comes with failure, it comes with happy times, and sad times, and it comes with beginning a family."

Elizabeth pondered on that for a moment and before she could say anything he continued.

"Now, no-one who knows you and Levi would ever question your love for each other. It's unmistakable whenever the two of you are together. So, if you ask me, the only question you and Levi need to answer, is how do you want to raise your son, Jacob."

John leaned forward in his chair and rested his elbows on his knees. "What you have to remember about this book is that it's not like any normal book, you can only turn the pages forward, you can never turn them back."

Elizabeth was lost in John's story; she was sitting quietly looking at her uncle. For some very odd reason it was beginning to make sense to her. What could she say, finally she just asked,

"Would you like me to put on some coffee?"

"I would like that very much."

The next morning Elizabeth told Levi that John had come by that previous evening and when she told him they had gone out to the Marley ranch he said he would be back in the morning.

When John Barnabus and Kyle left the hotel that morning, they happened to see Casper Hayes standing outside of the Telegraph office.

They stopped and exchanged greetings and John told Casper about the gunfight. Kyle said they were heading to Levi's place and invited Casper to join them, but he declined, saying that he had business out at French Town and would not be back until that afternoon.

"Give my regards to Levi and Elizabeth." Casper said as he folded some papers and put them into his pocket.

Later that day, when Casper rode out to see Levi, John and Kyle were out feeding the horses and cleaning up the barn. Elizabeth came to the door as Casper walked through the gate. She called to the back of the house for Levi, and they both stepped out onto the porch.

"Casper, it's good to see you. Kyle told us he and John saw you this morning."

"Sorry I couldn't make it out earlier. Had some business to take care of in French Town."

Elizabeth smiled, "Well we're glad you stopped by this afternoon. Come on in."

Casper hesitated "Ellie, I can't stay. I just came out to give you something."

He turned around when he realized what he needed to give them was still in his saddle-bag. He stopped and turned to look at Elizabeth again,

"I'll be right back."

When he returned, he was holding a small piece of leather that was folded around something. "Levi, I received a telegram this morning from Badger. He asked me to go out to his ranch in French Town and to find this. He asked me to give it to you and Elizabeth.

They both looked at the piece of leather as Casper handed it to Levi.

"Go ahead and open it." Casper said.

Levi began to un-fold the piece of soft leather and Elizabeth saw three wooden circles, one inside the other woven together with strips of soft buffalo hide, and colorful beads. Hanging off the outer circle were several feathers at different length. The center circle was left open.

"What is it?" Elizabeth asked

Levi was surprised that Badger would give them something so beautiful and well made. He looked at Casper when Elizabeth asked the question.

"It's a dream-catcher." Casper said.

"I've only seen this one other time, years ago when Badger and I were in the mountains. He told me that his grandfather had given it to his father, and his father had in turn, given it to him. It's important to Badger that you and Elizabeth have this, Levi."

Elizabeth was holding the dream-catcher up to look at it more closely, when Casper explained.

"Many Indians say that if you hang this where you sleep, it will only let good dreams in and it will keep the bad dreams out. It will stop all the bad dreams from touching your lives.

They both smiled, as they looked at Casper somewhat astonished that such a gift was coming to them at this time.

"Casper, Elizabeth and I, we have spent a lot of time talking since I've been back and We're going to be making some changes in our lives. Mr. Marley has offered us a piece of land on his ranch. He will help us build our own place and start our own ranch, or farm, if that is what we want. As long as I agree to give up being sheriff."

Elizabeth took Levi's arm and stood close to him. "I talked to John Barnabus last night and when Levi told me what my father was offering, we decided it would be best for Jacob."

"I'm glad to hear that." Casper said.

"Did Badger tell you where he was at?" Levi asked

"No, He probably knew that if you had any idea where he was you would want to help him, and by the look on your face, he was probably right."

"What are you going to do now, Casper?"

"That's the reason I can't stay. I'm going to find Badger. He's one to ride the river with, you know that Levi. I'm going to find him and I'm going to do what I can to keep that old man alive."

Levi struggled with his emotions. He saw the look on Elizabeth's face. She knew he wanted to go with Casper. She also knew what they had agreed to."

Casper saw that Levi wanted this one exception, and he wasn't going to give it to him.

"Levi, I have no idea where Badger is. I just know the country he is in and I'm going to have to look for him. Badger didn't give me a location for a reason. He doesn't want you to leave Elizabeth and Jacob again."

Elizabeth's eyes were full of expression and Casper understood she was thanking him. Casper turned to walk back to his horse when Levi stopped him.

"Casper." Levi had spoken too quickly, too impulsively, and he didn't know how to finish."

Casper got into the saddle and tipped his hat to Elizabeth. Then Levi spoke up again.

"Casper, tell Badger...." Levi stopped again and just looked at Casper Hayes. Casper took a long pause to study the expression on Levi's face.

"I'll till him, Levi." Casper said, then he turned his horse away.

Riding through town Casper saw Sara Smith standing outside of her restaurant He tipped his hat and smiled. She no longer needed that cane.

Casper thought about all the lives Badger had touched, including his own. For Casper had known no better friend. He got to the edge of town and just for an instant, he wondered about things that could have been.

About a mile out of town Casper Hayes stopped again and took out the second telegram Badger had sent. The one he didn't tell anyone about. He un-folded the paper and looked at the words.

I Could use your help -- STOP
Meet me in Arlington -- STOP

Casper let the telegram slip from his fingers. He would be with his old friend soon enough, and together they would find Bo Meadows.





This ends the story about the convict train. I hope you have enjoyed it. There is a new adventure out there.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mr. Green All rights reserved.
Mr. Green has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.