General Flash Fiction posted November 9, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sometimes he treated me with condor-cension. (50 words)

He's Good At Winging It

by LisaMay



He’s a frequent flyer with minimum carrion luggage. We’re at his condor-minium on an Andean mountaintop for dinner. It’s a bit Chile, so he’s raptor blanket around me. He’s taken me to the giddy heights of passion, but it was too much of a good thing – he made me soar.



Recognized


Author's Note:
This is number 42 in the series of my hypothetical 'new boyfriends'.

The creatures I have written about previously are: Penguin, Chimpanzee, Whale, Albatross, Rabbit, Bull, Cat, Dog, Pig, Horse, Grey Parrot, Snake, Polar Bear, Bee, Octopus, Goat, Vampire Bat, Swan, Snail, Elephant, Flamingo, Kangaroo, Rainbow Trout, Dung Beetle, Beaver, Swordfish, Giraffe, Mouse, Sheep, Pigeon, Gnu, Porcupine, Centipede, Cheetah, Alligator, Owl, Seahorse, Tortoise, Praying Mantis, Fur Seal, Squirrel.

CONDOR is the common name for two species of vultures. They are very large broad-winged soaring birds, carrion-eaters, with distinctive bare heads, the largest raptor in the world.
The Andean condor is found in the Andes mountains and adjacent Pacific coasts of western South America.
The California Condor lives in the western coastal mountains of the United States and Mexico, and the northern desert mountains of Arizona.
California condors are the largest flying land birds in North America, as is the Andean condor in South America, whose wingspan measurement (over 3 metres / 10 feet) is only outdone by some seabirds, such as wandering albatross, among all living flying birds.
Adult plumage is uniformly black, with the exception of a frill of white feathers nearly surrounding the base of the neck. These white feathers are meticulously kept clean by the bird. As an adaptation for hygiene, the condor's head and neck have few feathers, which exposes the skin to the sterilizing effects of dehydration and solar ultraviolet light at high altitudes.
The condor's flight is graceful. The lack of a large sternum bone to anchor correspondingly large flight muscles identifies it physiologically as a primary soarer. The birds flap their wings on rising from the ground, but once high enough they seem to sail on the air.
The Andean condor is a national symbol of Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Venezuelan Andes states. It is the national bird of Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, and Ecuador. It plays an important role in the folklore and mythology of the South American Andean regions, and has been represented in Andean art from c. 2500 BCE onward. Nowadays, condors are listed as critically endangered species.� 
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.