Mystery and Crime Fiction posted October 29, 2019 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Barry and Jeremy tries to prove their innocence

A chapter in the book Pushed Too Far

Brink of Freedom

by Mistydawn


Summary
 Jeremy is taken hostage by Jeff and Tony. Jessica the love of Jeremy's life is beaten by Paul. Barry saves Jeremy and then he and Jeremy save Jessica.
In retaliation, Jeremy beats Jeff and put him in the trunk. He then hits Tony with Jeff's car. He and Barry decide to take Jeff to Barry's cabin leaving the car, Tony, and incriminating evidence for the police to find.

Paul was attacked by the wild boar. Barry shoots him with plans to frame Jeff and Tony for his death.
The police arrest Barry, Jeremy, and Jeff
.

The bright morning sun glistens above promising a beautiful day ahead. It was a pleasurable sight after last night's horrid storms. The high winds caused extensive damage and power outages across the majority of the town. 

Jeff is handcuffed and shoved in one cruiser while Jeremy is restrained and crammed into another. Barry is talking to the captain on the porch.


I hope he can get us out of this. Jeremy sees Barry grimace when Joe clicks the cuffs in place. He then notices his father's grief-stricken face. A sense of guilt overwhelms him bringing him to tears. This is my fault. It's all my fault.  I'm the one who dragged him into this, made him get involved. Years of torture replays in his mind. He then recalls the time he retaliated and the anguish that followed I should've known better than to try and fight back. Thinking this time would be different; that I'd somehow win. Why did I have to be so stupid, why? I should've left it alone the way I'd done in the past?

 Joe and Barry step inside the cabin. I wonder what that's about? Jeremy thinks. They return to the porch a few minutes later laughing like old chums. Barry's restraints are gone. Whatever happened must've gone well. A harrowing thought suddenly comes to mind. Barry wouldn't hang my ass to save his, would he? Oh, I wish I knew what was going on. Joe inches closer to the cruiser, Barry by his side. I hope I tell the story right. What version should I tell? The side door opens. The frightened lad takes a big gulp of courage. Its do or die. His entire body trembles as he conjures up the courage to speak. "I can..."

"Barry explained what happened, how you picked Jeff up at the side of the road."

"Yes, yes that's what happened. We gave him a lift to Barry's cabin. He was so drunk we were afraid to leave him out there alone."


"Since the security camera shows you've been here the majority of the night, you're free to go."

 "I'm what?" He glances at Barry a perplexed look on his face.

"He's cutting you lose, son."


Helping Jeremy out of the car, Joe reaches behind him and unfastens the cuffs. He then turns towards his right-hand man. Jerry, take Jeff to the station, I'll be along shortly. I want to check on Rachel and the baby first."

"Copy that boss."


Jeremy remained frozen alongside the car, not sure what to do. The officers exit the scene. Barry places his arm around the shaken lad's shoulders. "Come on, son, let's get some grub." Barry leans over and whispers. "I'll explain when we get inside." Afraid the lad would say too much, he rushes him across the yard.

 "What security tape?" Jeremy questions as he closes the door behind him.

Barry chuckles. "The one out front. I learned how to rig it from a crook we chased years ago. He'd forge the tape to make it look like he was somewhere when he wasn't. It took me a while, but I finally caught on."


"Did you ever catch the guy?"

"He was long gone by the time I figured it out. Enough about that old case, why don't we get some breakfast?"

"I'd rather hit the sack if you don't mind."

Barry yawns. "It wouldn't hurt for me to grab a few hours of shut-eye too."

***
An unbearable scent hits him the moment Joe steps through the hospital doors. A horrid memory suddenly comes to mind. He pictures himself as a young lad holding his mother's frail hand as she takes her final breaths. It's special occasions like these that he misses her the most. Rest in peace, mom. Wiping a tear from his cheek, he darts down the hall. 

Rachel is nursing the baby when Joe walks into her room. "Wasn't he nursing when I left?"


Rachel chuckles. "Your little guy has a healthy appetite."

"Maybe he's a booby man like his daddy." He massages her exposed breast.

"Not here, Joe." She playfully slaps his hand.

"Something so beautiful staring at me is hard to resist."


He reaches for her again. The baby fusses. "I don't think your son wants to share."

"I brought you into this world little guy."

Rachel clears her throat.

"With the help of your mommy, of course. So, the least you can do is share."

The baby screams.

Rachel chuckles. "I don't think he liked your idea."

"So that's how it's going to be, is it, son?"


The baby yells louder. "I think you got your answer." Rachel laughs as she switches sides. The baby latches on and quickly gets to work."

"He is a hungry fellow."


"He has a big appetite like his dad." She glances at her son and smiles. "I bet you never dreamed you'd be delivering him when we went out on a call."

Joe recalls the horror that coursed through him when he saw the baby's head peeking through the birth canal. "My first son and first delivery all in the same day." Joe chuckles.

"In the back of old Betsy." Rachel laughs.


Betsy was Joe's first cruiser. She's old, very outdated but Joe uses her every now and again. "You know what this means, don't you?"

"What Joe?"

"We have to keep Betsy now." They've been trying to get him to get rid of her, but Joe wouldn't agree. Said it reminded him of his humble beginnings, he and Rachel's first dates.

Rachel shakes her head. You're going to tell me you want to be buried in the car next."


"That's not a bad idea."

"Joe." He chuckles.

There's a knock on the door, they turn to find Jessica in the entryway.

"Hey, sis."


"This is a nice surprise." Rachel hadn't expected her to come up since she lost her baby hours before.

"I had to see my handsome nephew. Mom says he's quite a chunk."

"Almost ten pounds."

"No wonder you were so big." Jessica reaches out and strokes his head. "He's adorable, guys," she says choking back the tears. Grief overwhelms her, she turns away. "I thought I could do this, but I can't, Rach, I'm sorry." She sobs.

"It's ok, Jess, we understand. And Jess."


Jessica holds up her hand. "Please don't. I've had all the sympathy I can take." She wipes the tears from her face. "I... I better be getting back before nurse ratchet sends a search party for me."

"She can't be that bad." Rachel laughs.

"I thought she was going to have Jeremy's head when she caught him in my room."

"Jeremy visited you?" Joe questions.


"Yeah, he came in around midnight. Jeremy said she threatened to put him in the psych ward if she caught him trying to sneak in again. He was so scared he jumped at every sound." She chuckles through her tears.

"You're sure it was around midnight?"

"He texted me at 11:55 and said he's on his way. Well, I better go. She glances at her nephew again. "He's adorable, guys. I wish... Oh..." Jessica races out of the room.

Rachel watches her disappear down the hall. "Poor kid."


"She's strong like her sister, I'm sure she'll be alright."

"I hope so. I thought you said the case was closed?"

"I thought it was, but after hearing that I'm not so sure. See, Barry showed me security footage to prove he and Jerry were at the cabin most of the night. Said he wanted to show me they didn't have any part in whatever was going on."

"Yeah, so?"

"How did he know we were questioning him about last night?"

"Maybe Jeff said something?"


"Yeah, maybe."

"Something is telling me you're not buying Barry's story."

"He just happens to find one of Jeremy's enemies on the road and the second one stranded? Jeremy was so nervous I thought he was going to piss himself."

"You can be very intimidating."

The captain runs his fingers through his thinning hair. "Honey do you..."

"Go, go, the baby and I are fine."


"Thanks, honey, you're the greatest." He races for the door.

"Don't you forget it either, mister."

***
Jeremy is startled awake by pounding on the front door. He turns to find Barry waddling down the stairs. "What's ... What's going on, Barry?"

"I have no idea." The intruder bangs again. "Berryville Police open up."

Jeremy sees a text message from Jessica when he glances at his phone. Scooping it up he skims through it. Jeremy's heart drops as he reads. "I think I know."


There's pounding on the barrier again. "I know you're in there. So, open up before we break it down."

Characters
Jeremy, Highschool graduate, always being bullied by his peers because of his disease, chronic tic disorder.
Jessica, Jeremy's best friend she was raped at a party and was pregnant with Paul's child.
Paul, Tony, Jeff, bullies, Jeremy's enemies
Barry, Jeremy's biological dad.
Bonnie and Max Webb Jessica's parents

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, captain
Rachel Bower, sergeant, Joe's wife, Jessica's older sister.
Jerry, a detective was a sergeant his health forced him to step down

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.