Romance Fiction posted October 27, 2019 Chapters:  ...35 36 -37- 38... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan and McKenzie talk.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 16 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Tuesday morning. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 7 days. They've made it an entire week. LOL

Ending of Previous Post:

When Logan parked the car, the police detail was already in place.

McKenzie glanced around. "I'm never going to get rid of them, now. Am I?"

"Pretty sure Bill isn't going to allow you out of the house without a body guard."

She opened the car door. "You'd better hurry to your hotel. I don't want you getting shot, too."

Logan took her arm. "I'm not worried about getting shot. I am worried about your safety. I'm not going anywhere. You have a comfortable couch. I'm sleeping on it tonight." He reached back and grabbed his bag. McKenzie opened her mouth to speak, but he continued, "Don't say a word. It's my turn to be stubborn. Once inside, you go on to bed. I'll take care of the dogs."


TODAY'S POST:

The following morning, McKenzie walked down the stairs and saw Logan sitting at the table drinking a cup of coffee. "Did you get any sleep last night?"

He stood. "Can I get you a cup? It's fresh. I just made a fresh pot."

"You didn't answer my question and how many cups have you already had?"

"This is my first, and I slept okay."

McKenzie accepted the offered cup and took a sip. "Logan?" He waited for her to continue, "Any ideas who would want me dead?"

"I don't. What about this Austin guy? What's his last name?"

"Bryant, Austin Bryant. He wrote the book on being a jerk, but I don't believe he'd try to kill me." McKenzie stared at her coffee and then took a drink. "This tastes good."

"Would you call Bill and have him checked out? As I left the bar, he threatened me."

"What?"

"He ordered me to stay away from you."

McKenzie covered her mouth to hide her grin. "How did that work for him? What did you do?"

"Nothing. I just told him to be careful who he threatened, unless he could back it up."

"And you said this just like we're talking here, right?"

Logan winked. "Of course." He paused. "Ready for breakfast?" He turned when he heard the doorbell. "Let me get this."

After the door was answered, Bill walked in. "Good morning. How's Mac this morning?"

She called from the kitchen, "I'm fine, Bill. Want some coffee? Betty Crocker makes a good pot."

"I could use a cup. Betty Crocker, a complaint was registered with the PD this morning that you man-handled an Austin Bryant. Since Mac's my goddaughter they forwarded on to me. Do you know anything about it?"

McKenzie's eyebrow's rose. "He's an old boyfriend who got a little too friendly last night at the Tin Roof. I guess he threatened Logan and ordered him to stay away from me. According to Betty Crocker all he said was to be careful who he threatened, unless he could back it up. At least that's the story, he just told me."

Bill grinned. "What really happened?"

"As I was leaving, he grabbed my arm and threatened me if I didn't leave Mac alone. I grabbed the front of his shirt and told him to be careful who he threatened. I told him to stay away from Mac or he'd be dealing with me. It wasn't a threat it was a promise. Just protecting Mac. That's what I do. Anybody need more coffee?" Logan poured himself another cup.

Bill took a long drink of coffee. "This is good. I'll let them know I investigated it and found no creditability to his story." He turned to McKenzie. "What are your plans for today?"

"I'll probably spend a large part of it at the hospital. I need to make sure Jose's okay." McKenzie leaned over and petted Edger. "Is there any way I can go for a run? Edger and I need one."

Frowning, Bill said, "You'd be a sitting duck. I don't like that idea at all. Not even with Logan by your side. Maybe a gym."

"Edger can't go into a gym. He's used to running too."

Logan grinned. "What if I take the dogs for a run and then come back, and you and I go to the gym and run? The security detail will be outside so there shouldn't be any problem."

McKenzie's eyes widened. "That's double run for you."

"I can handle it. I'm used to it."

"I like that idea." Bill finished his coffee. "I'd better get to the office. I'll be checking in throughout the day." He leaned over and kissed McKenzie's forehead. "Stay safe."

After Bill left, McKenzie looked out the window. "Do you really believe all this is necessary?"

"Are you forgetting what happened last night?" Logan studied the skillet. "I guess I'll fix breakfast after we finish our runs."

"Could it be that Jose getting shot was just a freak accident? It was just a gang-related drive-by? They do happen in The Lou."

Stepping closer to her, Logan asked, "Do you really believe that?"

"No. But I do need to work. I have bills to pay. I can't stay held up in my home forever. Besides, here I'm a sitting duck just waiting for an attack."

"I understand." Logan took her hand. "But your safety takes priority."

McKenzie sighed.








Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.






Thank you google images for photo of a cup of coffee. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted so I settled. LOL I've made changes to this post again today. I hope I didn't make it worse. A reviewer questioned if Logan could lift a person by their shirt, so I changed to just grabbing it. I really appreciate your help. This post is a little over 700 words. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.
Thank you for your wonderful support.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.