General Non-Fiction posted October 25, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
November 9th 1989 contest entry

Silent Tragedy

by dovemarie


On November 9th, 1989, I was a patient in a mental health center in my home city. I was thinking back, while I was preparing snacks for the other patients, about how I had lost my once-a-month right to visiting with my 2-year-old son. I worked with a staff member named Bill, preparing and serving the snacks, and he happened to be my son's paternal uncle, but he did not care about my situation or the fact that I had lost my rights. I sat in my bedroom, crying, thinking about how the staff at the institution did not give a damn about what had happened to me. I thought about the adoption trial that I had gone through, and how I cried, albeit quietly, at different points during the proceeding. I made the doctor's bed that night, I was always volunteering to do something around the hospital on the ward to take my mind off my problems. I also made up beds for people who would be sleeping in the library, to make room for patients who needed to be in bedrooms on the ward. I swept the floors and cleaned up the social areas. I was in a state of Silent Tragedy, I could not talk about it with anyone because nobody wanted to hear it. I thought about my upcoming desolate future, and I felt as though I was all alone in the world. There was, truly, no justice.



November 9th 1989 contest entry


Thanks to Peggy and Marco Lachmann-Anke from Pixabay.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. dovemarie All rights reserved.
dovemarie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.