Western Fiction posted October 19, 2019 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Convict Train has arrived at the new Territorial Prison

A chapter in the book The Convict Train

The Superintendent's Report

by Mr. Green



Background
After the Convict Train was ambushed by outlaws led by Bo Meadows to help Matt Cory escape, three men form a posse. Two of them are Pinkerton Detectives and one is an old mountain man named Badger.
The convict train pulled into the walla walla depot, about mid-morning. Casper Hayes and Kyle helped Levi get off the train first, followed by Superintendent Paine and Warden John Justice. Waiting for them at the depot was Charley Company from Fort Walla Walla.

The fort was located along a small creek just south west of town. Most of the soldiers were young men, not yet seasoned to the ways of the army, some even appeared too young to shave, but they had gotten their orders the night before, to be at the depot, and in their best uniforms. They were to escort the convicts to the new prison upon their arrival.

Two old con's sitting near the window, smiled. One of them quietly commented, "Why, they ain't nothin" but boys, Bart."

Bart Cannon leaned forward and whispered, "It sure looks that way, Orville?"

Orville Mason was a large man standing six feet three inches and close to two hundred and twenty pounds. He had deep lines in his face and leather-tough skin from living most of his life on the owl-hoot trail. He looked out the window once again, and watched the young soldiers in their neat clean uniforms.

"I think it's time to have some fun, Bart?" Cannon's face wrinkled into another smile as he leaned forward, "What-cha thinking'-a-doin'?"

Superintendent Paine stood beside the train and watched as the warden, and Kyle helped Levi into a wagon, then Kyle sat down beside him and took the reins. Casper had brought Kyle's horse and tied the reins to the back of the wagon. He did the same with Levi's horse.

Then he shook hands with Warden Justice, and climbed into the saddle. Turning, he saw the superintendent over-seeing the guards, as they put the convicts into the wagons. Casper called out;

"See you soon, Mr. Paine."

The superintendent waved, "Take care of Levi, Casper. I will try to make it by to see him tomorrow."

Wheeling his horse towards the depot building, Casper reined up not far from an older, broad-shouldered Sergeant, with dark hair and an equally dark beard. He was just about as dapper as an old soldier could get.

"Thank you Sargent, for your help, we'll return the horse and wagon to Fort Walla Walla as soon as we get Levi settled."

"You're quite welcome Mr. Hayes.. You take care of the Sheriff, we have plenty of wagons to transport these convicts."

Casper gave a slight nod of apprreciation then he proceeded to catch up to Kyle and the wagon he was already directing to the local saw-bones office.

Superintendent Paine walked up to the nearest solder he could find, "Corporal, where's your commanding officer."

The soldier stood at attention, "Sir, that would be Sargent Maccabee."

"His first name?"

"That would be John, Sir."

"Where can I find Sergeant John Maccabee?"

"He's standing over there next to the depot building, sir"

The Superintendent smiled, "Thank you, Corporal."

When Maccabee noticed the Superintendent approaching he turned and extended his hand.
"Mr. Paine."

"Sergeant,"

"Mr. Paine, I have orders to help escort these convicts to the prison. I am also under orders for myself and my men to staff the prison for twenty-four hours. Replacing you, and your men, so all of you can get some rest after your long journey."

"Thank you, but we have a great deal of work to get done, before this day comes to an end."

"Very well, Mr. Paine. Once the con's are secured, my men will watch the prison, and your men can begin their twenty-four hour leave."

"Thank you, Sergeant, it will be a well-earned rest. I will see to it, word is passed on to my guards."

The first convict stood at the top of the steps before leaving the train. He smiled at the young soldier who was waiting for him. His carbine in hand the soldier stood silent as the large convict secured in chains, took the first step and smiled at the young man.

He playfully glared at the soldier and waited until he could see the young man was uncomfortable. Then both of his feet left the last step at the same time.

When the convict touched the ground, he saw the soldier was at least four inches shorter than he was. The large man in shackles smiled again, and said.

"Are you afraid of me, boy? I think you're afraid of me."

One of the guards saw what was happening and called out, "Mason, step over here... Now!"

When it was Bart Cannon's turn to leave the train, he looked out at all of the young faces in uniform, and called out, "Hullo Kids, been waitin' long?"

He spotted a young soldier he wanted to intimidate but the old Sargent had stepped closer, to back the young man up, if he needed it. Cannon could see right away when their eyes met, this old Sarg was no-one to mess with.

Once again, a guard called out, "Cannon, get on this wagon, there's a lot more men to get off of that train."

As the wagons got closer to the new prison, the convicts starred at the massive stone structure sitting in what used to be a wheat field. It was considered to be the largest stone structure of its kind west of the Mississippi River.

In front of them stood granite walls, 15 feet tall with towers located at each corner, with an administration building attached to the front wall.

In the middle of the administration building was a huge archway for wagons, staff and supplies to enter, before being allowed into the perimeter of the stockade.. Sitting on top of a hill, made the prison seem even more massive.

"Damn thing looks like a castle. Don't it?" one of the younger convicts said. "It sure does," two other convicts in the same wagon said as they got closer to the main gate.

The first convict responded, "Yep. look at that thing. It's like it jumped right out-a one of those fairy tales, parents read to their kids."

Both of the old con's looked at the young outlaw, "Only, this ain't no fairy tale, kid."

When they got to the administration building the guards were told to line the convicts up in pairs and to have them stand along the road leading up to the main prison complex.

As this was happening, the soldiers stationed themselves on both sides of the con's, to make sure none of them attempted to run away. About that time, a reporter from one of the local newspapers arrived at the front gate.

The Convicts entered the penitentiary eight at a time. Their first stop was to see the prison photographer where photographs were taken. One from the front, and one from the side. Then they were taken to an area of the prison where two large tubs were located. The guards told the reporter, these were called plunge-baths.

They were large enough for ten men to bath at one time. Once the first group of con's were bathed, they received clean prison uniforms, and were then marched to the barber-shop where all of the hair on their head and face was shaved. They were then taken back to the photographer's shop where more photos were taken, one from the front and one from the side.

The reporter followed the groups inside the prison as they were taken from one station to the next. After each of these steps were completed, they were then marched to one of the living units where they were assigned to their cells, two convicts per cell.

As the guards took the Convicts to the living units,, four other guards began escorting the next group and the process began all over again.

The reporter continued to take many notes as he observed the interactions between the guards and the prisoners.

Once all of the con's had been assigned to their cells, Some of the con's were escorted to the kitchen where they would help prepare a meal. When it was completed, the first meal was brought to the living units and served at the cell fronts.

Superintendent Paine left the area once the convicts were secured and left the supervision of the meal to Warden Justice. One of the Con's called out to the warden and told him, the food was the best meal he had, had in a year. According to the reporter, this meal consisted of rolled oats, hot cakes, syrup, white bread, and hot coffee.

When the meal was completed Warden Justice left to give his report to Superintendent Paine. Upon entering his office Mr. Paine was standing at a window overlooking the prison grounds. It was about 2 p.m. but the warden saw the stress this transport had put on Mr. Paine.

"Are you ok? Frank."

Turning his head, Frank Paine looked at Warden Justice, "Yes, I suppose, John."

"What's on your mind?" The warden asked.

"John, I have twenty-four hours before I have to write my report to the Governor, regarding this transport. Somehow I will have to find the words to tell the governor how guards got shot, and one convict escaped, while they were under my watch."

The warden was quiet for several moments, then he turned and closed the door to the office, leaving just him and Ssuperintendent Paine in the room. "Frank, we haven't heard from the posse yet regarding the status of prisoner Matt Cory."

The Superintendent stepped away from the window and walked over to his desk. Letting the palms of his hands rest on the back of his leather bound chair, he looked at the Warden.

"John, it's been a long trip. I've been given some time off to rest along with you and the rest of the guards." He stepped to the coat rack and took his hat.

"I think it's time to take advantage of this moment. I'm going home. Tomorrow I will ride into town and check on Levi, then I will come back to this prison and begin my report."

On his way to the door, Superintendent Paine stopped at the warden's side. "Matt Cory is in the wind, John. That is what I will have to tell the governor, and it happened on my watch."

Warden Justice stood silent as he watched the door to the office close.





This book has been professionally edited. Writing chapters on FanStory allowed me to get valuable feedback in order to work out the details. So what is read here may not be exactly the same as what ended up in the book. This book was published on Oct. 4th, 2020.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mr. Green All rights reserved.
Mr. Green has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.