General Fiction posted October 8, 2019 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Bea and the other two are awakened twice in one night

A chapter in the book Be Wee With Bea Part2

A Terrible Humming and Buzzing

by Liz O'Neill




Background
Bea has a Willow tree for a very special friend who helps everyone by listening to them and showing love. In this chapter, Bea fears Willow is in danger.
Something woke Bea. Bleary-eyed, she attempted to do her investigation exercise. Tilting her head, it sounded like a cave full of bees. Was her cave home full of her friends who had the same sound to their name as Bea? It made her think of how she got her name. Her mom had always called her Bear.

She and her mom were sitting quietly when the sun was peeking through the slow rustling trees just above their heads. It felt like a lazy-bear-day, but Bea wanted to learn something new. She asked her mom to print her name out so she could see what it looked like. She wondered if it had any of the same marks as the flat pieces of trees she and her mom had seen on their strolling exercises.

On that day, with even her fears seeming to be sleepy, Bea was having some of her sweet treat. As her mom printed BEAR on a broken branch, a golden drop dripped right on the"R". With her left paw, she grasped the big purple crayon her mom had found on the path during their strolling exercise. The wee bear printed what she saw, BEA. That is what her name was from then on.

That buzzing which woke her would be okay if they were making golden honey for more of her special "be-good-to-myself" treat. But why would they all be in her cave home? Usually, as we know a humming was a good sign for Bea, but this was a different sort of humming. It actually seemed to be coming from outside their cave.

Doing her brain exercise, she knew this was not the usual source of the happy sound of humming. She was sure of that fact when both Sweet Puppy and Scruffles quickly curled curiously close to her. They didn't know what could be causing that terrible sound either.

When leaves and sticks came propelling into the cave, Bea's fears began to grow. She could hear crashing and cracking and thudding which grew louder as she crept closer to the mouth of their cave. The angry wind was whipping through the trees and tossing them around.

The humming ceased as quickly as it had picked up. Bea was relieved about a few things. One was that no trees had fallen on the cave as when she was young with her mom. The other was that the wind which had come visiting humming in an angry way had not stayed long. For once, her fears did not take over.

***********************
Everyone was able to finally get back to sleep only to be awakened again, this time by a terrible buzzing. Bea knew instantly, as she did yet another investigation exercise, that the source of this scary sound was not bees at all. It was not the angry wind either.

Doing her brain exercise told her that this terrible buzzing had something to do with the terrible humming. She remembered how it had shaken them awake earlier. The worst sinking feeling suddenly came to her. It was deeper than if she had actually sunk to the bottom of the dark-watered swamp. There was an endless muddiness swallowing her up. Her fears were growing. But this time it was not about her.

Willow's safety stabbed her in the heart. She was afraid that this buzzing was happening around Willow and that Willow was in great danger. Willow was the caring incredible tree Bea had met. Willow had told her story of how children gather around her to cry and be angry about people who treat them in cruel ways. Bea feared the one who had helped so many over time, was now in need of help, herself.



Book of the Month contest entry


I'd like to acknowledge Susan F. M. T. for such an appropriate picture.
This is the 2nd book in the series Be Wee With Bea. Book One is available on Amazon and similar venues and on my webpage, www.beweewithbea.com ...I also have a fb page called be wee with bea. I'd love to have you check it out. You are invited to visit my portfolio on this FanStory site to catch up or sample other chapters.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Susan F. M. T. at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.