General Poetry posted October 7, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
With a dying breath. 3-5-3

What Will You Say?

by LisaMay


With last gasp,

breathless words spoken:

“I love you.”



 



3-5-3 'Air' Poem writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a three-line, 3-5-3 syllable count, poem on any aspect of the theme 'air'. It can be on breeze, wind, tornadoes, hurricanes, twisters, breath, or any other topic directly related to air. Creative approaches are welcome. Have fun! :)


Author's Note:
The inspiration (expiration?) for this is the autobiography "When Breath Becomes Air", by Paul Kalanithi. It is a memoir about his life and illness, battling stage IV metastatic lung cancer, recounting his experiences as a doctor and a patient facing a terminal illness.
The book was published posthumously by Random House in 2016.
Before writing his book, Kalanithi was in residency in neurological surgery and a postdoctoral fellowship in neuroscience. In 2013, he was diagnosed with lung cancer. As he underwent cancer treatment, he shared his reflections on illness and medicine, authoring essays in The New York Times, The Paris Review and Stanford Medicine, and participating in interviews for media outlets and public forums.
Kalanithi died in March 2015 at the age of 37.
When Breath Becomes Air is a New York Times bestseller, spending 68 weeks on the non-fiction bestseller list.
Matt McCarthy of USA Today gave it 4 out of 4 stars and said, "It's a story so remarkable, so stunning, and so affecting that I had to take dozens of breaks just to compose myself enough to get through it."
Nick Romeo of The Boston Globe wrote that it, "possesses the gravity and wisdom of an ancient Greek tragedy."
Melissa Maerz of Entertainment Weekly stated that the book was "so original - and so devastating. . . . Its only fault is that the book, like his life, ends much too early."
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.