General Fiction posted September 30, 2019 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 15... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
C.C. Connor returns to the White House

A chapter in the book Assassin Nation

Reunion

by Bill Schott


 

Characters:
Red Appleton,
President of the United States
Jason Marr, Vice President of the Senate
Connie Highland, Senate Majority Leader
Samantha Anthra, Chief of Staff to President Appleton
Manuel Kontroz, Assistant to the President
Ben Baker, aka Butcher of Baghdad aka Bobby Do, assassin
C. C. Connor, former Chief of Staff to President Sullivan
Millie Connor, twin sister of C.C. Connor
Dr. Wu, genetic engineer, guardian and mentor to the Connor children
Amps, Bolt, Watt, and Edison, training facilitators for Dr. Wu
----------------------
End of the last regular chapter (Chapter 9)
The man appeared to be a low-level grunt who worked for someone at the White House. A face that one passes in the hall, but never generated a need for him to interact with or even acknowledge. Still, a name did come to him. It was his final utterance. "Baker?"

Summary of last flashback (Chapter 13)
1st Lt. Connor went missing in action. A lone witness, a Private Red Appleton, reported that the officer had "Taken the fight to the enemy."
Later, having sliced his way to the Vietnamese commander, C.C. Connor offered his many skills to the local Chinese adviser. Being a trained assassin and expert in military movements in country, his offer was quickly accepted.
------
Milliliter Connor made inroads in the world of politics. Her goal was to insinuate herself in any and all power bases and become the indispensable resource for all things. The eventual emplacement of the Switchblade assets, within a decade or two, would be as smooth as placing the decision-makers in every corner o
f the world.
-----------------


Manual Kontroz had stayed busy the last ninety days researching and compiling data about the President and his cabinet. During this time he had witnessed the return of C.C Connor, who was reassigned as the American Ambassador to the United Nations. 
Ben Baker had returned as well and was promoted to Vice President Marr's senior assistant.

-------------------------------

The Left Wing halls were well peopled and many small pairings of staff and visitors peppered the main hallway passage. C.C. Connor saw Bobby Do, who had been resubmerged into his Ben Baker persona, and flagged him down.

“Ben! Good to see you, Butchy Boy.” 

“Good to be seen, sir. I must say, I don't think you've ever spoken to me before. I wasn't aware you knew my name.” 

“I have my eye on you, Ben. How's the VP treating you?  Don't let him grab your ass.” 

“Vice President Marr is a great man to work for. I have to admit, I don't even know who recommended me for the job, but it's going well.” 

An aide appeared behind the men and cleared his throat.


 
“Mr. Baker, the Vice President needs your notes on the Congressman from California.” 

 “You mean Congresswoman Manowitz?”

  “Congressperson?”  said Connor, offering another possibility.

“Let's settle on the Honorable Ms. Manowitz.” 

“Your notes?”  asks the aide. 

“I have some notes on that old skank if you need help, Ben.” 

 “That's neat, Mr. Connor, but I do have a lot on the Congressma -uh - wo -er - per - uh - man.” 

“By Jove, I think he's got it!” 


All grin and depart to their next appointments. 

-----------------------

Meanwhile, Congresswoman Manowitz arrives from the airport and is escorted through the White House to the Vice President's reception area. 

“Good morning, Representative Manowitz.   I am Ben Baker, the Vice President's assistant. I would like to take a few minutes, if you will, to go over my notes to assure a productive meeting between the VP and yourself.” 

“Certainly, Mr. Baker. I'm sure Jason can get his pants on by the time we're done.” 


Baker smiled  imagining  that Mr. Marr might indeed have a page bent over his desk. It wouldn't be the first.     “ He has simply asked that I double check all that there is to discuss to streamline both of your schedules.” 

“Go ahead, Mr. Butcher.” 

 “It's Baker, Ms. Manowitz;  Ben Baker.” 

“ Of course. Your questions?” 

 “Yes. Well --“ 

Manuel Kontroz steps up.  “ Mrs. Manowitz! What a pleasure to see you. I was just on my way to a meeting with you and the Vice President.” 

“Hello, Manny.  I'm so glad to see you. How is your assignment here going?” 

“Your endorsement sealed the deal.”

"I see you know the Congresswoman, uh, Manny? Why don't I know you?" asked Baker.

"I operate independently from the machine, uh, Benny?"

"Well, I'm happy I could come from Sacramento to introduce you two."

"So sorry," said Baker. "Let me just go over these few items."


As Ben Baker utters a few words, they are only recognizable as noise when the Congresswoman from California sees Samantha Anthra coming out of an elevator at the far end of the hallway. 

"The VP was unsure if your first name was Mildred or Milicent, since it is listed as Millie," said Baker.

"It's Milliliter."


The young woman walks down the hall, unaware that she is being observed, until she reaches Baker and sees the politician who had been blocked from her view.

"Hi, Sam," said Manowitz, smiling.

Samantha Anthra stares at the woman for a second.  "Mother?"








 




Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.