Romance Fiction posted September 24, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Part One~

Love Letter on a Clipboard

by Sally Law


"Nothing is sweeter than love, nothing higher, nothing stronger, nothing larger, nothing more joyful, nothing fuller, and nothing better in heaven or on earth." Thomas A. Kempi

Part One~

Kristin Spencer was a dedicated professional, but certain at the age of thirty-nine that love had passed her by.

She had her patients and her sister's kids, but no love of her own--living life vicariously through others.

She did her best to remember her nieces and nephews on special occasions--well, at least as much as her busy schedule would allow. Twelve-hour work shifts didn't seem to be helping her love life.

Desperate, she resorted to online dating, which proved to be a disaster. She fell head-over-heels once, with a young prospect's portfolio. When Kristin showed his handsome face and poetry quotes to her roommate, Lisa, she issued a warning. "Kris, that's my ex-husband, Sean. But I must say, he looks much better online. Did he mention he did time in prison?"

That did it for Kristin. She made the announcement to everyone, she was going to find her soulmate the old-fashioned way. Meet, date, and fall in love--and hopefully from there, plan a future. She desired a marriage like her parents had, and children; but she was not at all sure where to start.

I'll drop by to see Mom and Dad tomorrow, and have that overdue chat.

The geriatric ward at Southside Baptist Hospital was a bit slow when she arrived at first light, fully caffeinated and raring to go. There were a few of her precious patients shuffling down the hall, readying themselves for physical therapy.

Kristin was part of a team of eight, specializing in the care of the elderly, and the diseases that afflict them. She wore a cardigan with deep pockets as the average temperature in her wing felt like 62 degrees. It was really 72, but she swore the stupid thermostat had unresolved issues. I think the broken thermostat is a metaphor of my love life--cold and stuck.

Her first order of business was to check her clipboard. It was the place for her daily updates, and words of encouragement. Maybe a joke or piece of candy would be clipped to hers today. She had a fun-loving team: Albert, Diana, Wendy, Yvette, Mary-Ann, Jesse, and Ben made her workday and care load lighter.

At first glance, she saw what looked like a wedding invitation attached to her clipboard--a fine-grade, ecru-colored envelope, sealed with red wax. Her name was beautifully penned in calligraphy on the outside. The delicious scent of lavender permeated her surroundings.

Everyone knew about her love of lavender. She didn't remember mentioning her plans to wrap a small bundle of the fragrant flowers and place them inside her wedding invitation. Maybe that wasn't such an original idea after all.

Sliding the envelope in her pocket, she began her morning rounds.

The cranky Mr. Lewis, was up first. She rapped on the door as she made her way into his secluded area. Room 3801 was the first private room on the right side of the hall.

"Good morning, you old salty dog," she said.

"Methinks I miss the sea. I've been ashore too long in this dry dock," he said, longingly.

"You're up early, and visiting your favorite memory, I see." Kristin went about her usual room inspections as they chatted, glad to see Mr. Lewis was in a better mood than normal. "I've entertained many thoughts today, tormenting nurse. My mind is still working, contrary to the specialists who locked me in here."

"It's just temporary," Kristin said. "We are just making sure you are sea worthy. Captain, is it?"

"Was. I was, once," he said turning away. The old gentleman grew quiet.

Kristin noticed pictures on his dresser of a beautiful sailboat, and a faded photograph of a young woman. She wondered if it was his deceased wife. Knowing that some memories are often more painful than others, she thought it best not to mention it.

"Well, you look real good today, my Captain. I'll shove off for now, and hope to see ya before I leave." She opened the shades, and fluffed his pillows before leaving him with his thoughts. "If you need anything at all, just page me, Captain Lewis."

Lunchtime was quick for Kristin, usually spent at the computer, updating patients' medical portals.

The scent of lavender reminded her of the envelope in her pocket. She lifted it to her nose as her fingers loosened the wax seal.

The handwriting in the letter was just as beautiful as the envelope. She began to read:

Dear Kristin~

I have admired you since the first day we met. Your kindness, patience, and sweet spirit shine from your eyes. (I can barely write this, as I'm not sure I'll have the courage to finish it.)

Kristin, I love you! There, I said it. Well--I penned it for now. A book I read every day says, "Love should be spoken and acted upon, not concealed." Well, it must be true, because I feel like a heavy stone has been lifted from my heart.

I look forward to seeing you every day and when you're not at your post or nearby, I feel lost.

I'm not sure if I can sign my name just yet, but I hope to. It really needs to be soon, as I have an uncertain future. A new opportunity is on the horizon, and I'll possibly be making some career changes.

You once told me you needed to lose weight and have your teeth straightened to be pretty. You are the most beautiful creature in the world to me. Please, don't ever change. I love you just the way you are. Isn't that a song?

I will write again soon, my darling.
Your secret admirer--for now.


To be continued . . . .



Recognized

#189
2019


This is chapter one of several. The last chapter will post Christmas Eve Eve, 2019.

https://pixabay.com/vectors/heart-letter-love-mail-valentine-159637/
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.