Supernatural Fiction posted September 22, 2019 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE IMMORTAL

The Visitors

by scongrove




Background
Thank you for taking the time to read my chapter. It's still in the working stages, so if you catch any mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy!
Previously . . .

After an age-old creature—buried deep in the ground—rises from years of peaceful slumber to feast on humans, it attacks Jena McCain—a young artist who has the ability to speak with the dead—and infects her with the Rougarou curse. As the virus spreads through her body, Jena must resist her newly found urges for human blood for one hundred and one days. If she succumbs to the blood lust, she will become the thing that has cursed her.  
  

Now that the creature is hunting humans, and infected an innocent young girl, God tasks Lailah—a battle angel gifted with the power of holy fire—with an important mission. She must take the Fury and Sebastian back to earth for the sole purpose of destroying this savage creature. 

Now, as Jena heals in the hospital, she reaches out to the only person left in the world she can trust. When Jena contacts Angie—her childhood best friend—she reveals to her the dreadful news of Todd and Sophie’s deaths. Leaving out most of the details, Jena decides to tell her friend about the creature and the curse when she arrives to the hospital.     
    

The next day, Angie arrives at the Bates Hospital to be by Jena’s side. As Jena tells her about the creature and the curse, Angie reveals to Jena a secret of her own. When she explains to Jena about the Breedline species, and that she too, was born with the genetics, Jena is astounded.

As the bond between the two friends become closer than ever before, Angie promises Jena she will do everything she can to help her. Left with no other chose, Angie decides to reach out to the Breedline Covenant for help.

Meanwhile, as Angie has Jena moved to the safety of the Breedline Covenant, the creature manages to seduce Jena, and tricks her into drinking her own blood. Now that the curse is set into motion, Jena is doomed to become what she fought so hard to resist . . . a bloodthirsty killer.

Regrettably, Jena must face her worst fears. Now that she had weakened to the creature, she had to confess the bad news to her best friend and to the Covenant.


Continued . . .

Hours after the stranger vanished from Jena’s room—who Jena now referred to him as her beloved—he left her feeling as though he had branded her as his. Then the images of him taking her, dominating her, marking her . . . brought her to awareness. She belonged to him now.

Guilt crashed down on her. Dear God, what have I done? What would become of me? Have I lost the strength to resist the curse?

Suddenly, feelings of betrayal consumed her. She’d betrayed her fiancé Todd, and her dear friend, Sophie. The memory of their lives darkened, and their brutal deaths brought to light. How could she? What was she? At this moment, Jena knew it was already too late. She could feel her thirst for blood growing by the minute. She felt the powerful aching in the back of her throat, and the gnawing pain in the pit of her stomach.

Jena rolled over in bed and let out a moan. Her body felt like she’d been on a bender from hell. When she reached for her phone on the nightstand, she noticed it was nine o’clock in the morning. What? She had slept in, which was unusual for her. Normally, Jena was up before six, ready for her daily run. It took her almost half an hour just to motivate herself enough to get out of bed.   

On shaky legs, Jena moved toward the bathroom feeling completely drained of energy. She reached for a robe draped over the door, and slipped her arms into the sleeves. Her hands shook as she secured it around her waist. Jena eyed the shower but decided against having one. Although the thought of warm water massaging her skin seemed like heaven, she was just too exhausted to make the effort.

Instead, Jena decided on a hot bath in the Jacuzzi tub that was big enough for at least four others. As she turned toward the king-size bath, she caught her reflection in the mirror. Her eyes rounded in shock, and her legs nearly gave out from beneath her.

She put her hands up to her face. No, she feverishly thought. This cannot be.

The reflection staring back at her was not her own. It was someone . . . something she did not recognize. She slowly inched forward and brought her face closer to the glass. It was Jena, of course, but she didn’t look like the person she used to be. This was a wolfish creature—a monster staring back at her.

Jena’s heart caught in her throat as she studied herself in the mirror. My god, she painfully thought. I look like the creature. Thick matted fur covered every inch of her skin. Only seconds ago, she seemed normal, but now—

Although she recognized the blue eyes, her blue eyes, they were glowing like the irises of an animal in the night. Jena smoothed her tongue over the black-rimmed edge of the mouth of this thing she’d become and felt two, sharp-pointed teeth. Oh God—

Jena immediately covered her mouth. She gasped at the misshapen form of her hand. Dark hair covered it, and long, deadly claws were at the tips of her fingers.

When she looked up, pointed lupine ears were atop her head, half hidden by thick, rooted hair.

“What am I?” she whispered, her voice sounding rough.

“Oh, you knew this would happen, didn’t you?” said her inner voice. “You invited him. You wanted this!” 
   

A strong feeling in the pit of her gut told her she knew, and she had welcomed it. She had known it deep down in her very soul.

Jena began to laugh with utter madness, the sounds wicked and sinister until she broke down into an overwhelming emotion of despair. As tears gathered in the corners of her eyes, she felt herself drifting into a state of confusion and uncertainty.

How can this be? She thought as she gripped her long, wolfish fingers around the porcelain sink and watched the endless river of tears roll down her fur-covered cheeks. Surely, this is nothing but a bad dream.  

Jena closed her eyes for a moment. Then realization escaped her suddenly. It was the blood . . . her blood.

Why hadn’t it crossed my mind before? He bit me, and then he . . . kissed me.

“Oh, dear God—” she gasped. He tricked me.  

Am I to be this thing for the rest of my life? Jena prayed it wasn’t so. She felt sick to her stomach. She wanted to kill him, but something inside her made her feel drawn to him as though they had bonded somehow. Then it came to her. I’m going to be a blood-thirsty killer. For a second, Jena thought she was going to lose her mind, but then she realized there was nothing she could possibly do, to stop this curse. There was no way out of this. The fact was, the life she once knew, was over now.

At that moment, coming from the bedroom, she heard her phone ringing. Shit! Jena knew it was Angie calling going by the ringtone. Suddenly, panic shot through her. What in the hell was she going to do? She couldn’t possibly talk. Not in this state. The change in her voice would send Angie on alert. She wasn’t ready to explain to her best friend that she’d weakened.

As it went to her voice mail, Jena expelled her breath as if she’d been punched. She slowly shook her head. “I’ve got to change back,” Jena found herself saying. Although she had no idea how to make that happen. 

****

Angie left a message on Jena’s voice mail and rolled over in bed, her hunger pains gnawing at her like she hadn’t ate for days. It made sense after all the extra physical exertion between her and Bull. Her body felt as though she had run a marathon, and it hurt in a good way. The two of them had stayed up most of the night making love, talking, and laughing as if they had known each other for years. They shared memories of their past, traded each other’s life stories, and made plans for the future together.    
  
God, she wished he were lying next to her.

Bull had thought it best to leave before everyone in the Covenant woke this morning. He didn’t want to make the wrong impression, especially for Angie. Which she completely understood and respected the hell out of his decision. Going by the way he kissed her goodbye this morning, he was head-over-hills for her. She had a feeling that when word got out, no one would be surprised. Especially the way they looked at each other yesterday morning during breakfast. They practically undressed each other with their eyes. 

Angie stretched in bed. Feeling the satin sheets against her naked skin made her ache for him. After last night, she could not pretend she wasn’t already emotionally invested in Bull. She was half in love with him.  
 
Now that it was already after nine o’clock in the morning, Angie decided to get out of bed and head for the kitchen. She was famished. First, she would make a pit stop by Jena’s room to check on her. Knowing her, Angie wouldn’t be surprised if she’d already been up for hours. Unlike her, Jena was a creature of habit. Ever since Angie had known her, she’d been early to bed, and early to rise. Angie was the complete opposite. Funny, she’d never considered how different they were in some ways, but nevertheless, shared a lot in common in more ways than one. Perhaps it was the reason why they’d always managed to remain the best of friends. No matter what, words unspoken, she had Jena’s back, and Jena had hers. That was just the way it was between the two of them.

She cursed aloud, feeling the soreness radiating through her body as she maneuvered herself from the bed and to her feet. Hell, even her toes ached. Pushing it aside, she managed to get dressed. As she headed to Jena’s room, she was eager to relay the exciting news about her and Bull.

****

Jena flinched at the rapping noise that came from the balcony, as though someone was knocking on the sliding glass doors. Shit!

Then, her attention suddenly shifted to the sounds of someone knocking at the bedroom door. Christ almighty! In a state of panic, she didn’t know what to do. Should she answer the door, or see who was at the balcony? Decisions, decisions.

Cautiously, she stuck her head outside the bathroom and looked to the door when she heard Angie’s voice, “Jena, are you in there?”

Her head swung back toward the balcony when the noise persisted, getting louder.

Shortly after, the door handle jiggled as if someone was trying to open it. “Jena, it’s me . . . Angie.”

Thankfully, she’d thought to lock the door last night. She didn’t want Angie to see her this way, and to know that she’d weakened to the curse. 

On a split-second decision, Jena went to the balcony. Her first thought was the stranger, her beloved, had come back to visit her. If so, maybe he could help her. She prayed he would. 

When she drew back a peephole section of the drapes, there was someone at the glass doors. Someone big, towering at the height of at least ten-feet-tall.

“What the—” she gasped, stepping away from the covered glass. She rubbed her eyes. It can’t be, she thought.

Jena wished she had answered the door instead, but to her disappointment, the knocking ceased. Angie had obviously given up.

The man standing on the balcony wasn’t the stranger. It was a man with giant black wings. His features were handsomely regal, and he had an intense look in his eyes.  

“Jena?” His voice was deep, but friendly. “I give you my word. I’m not going to harm you.”

This time, Jena didn’t flinch. At that moment, she decided to take a chance on the man-angel standing outside of the balcony. Besides, what did she have to lose? She was desperate. At this point, she was willing to accept help from a total stranger. 
  
“Here goes nothing,” she muttered. Letting out a deep breath, she went forward and pulled back the drapes. So far, she had witnessed many bizarre things. But an angel? This was way off the charts.

“I’m here to help you,” said the black-winged angel.

As he smiled, Jena was overcome with comfort and something else she couldn’t quite pinpoint. Was it trust? Then she freely opened the sliding glass door.

“My name is Cronus.” The angel stuck his hand out. “I’m first commander-in-chief of God’s battle angels.”

Not sure what to say, Jena nervously extended her hairy hand and shook his.

“Uh . . . P-Please come in,” she said in a guttural voice.

He bowed. “Thank you.” 

The giant angel . . . battle angel—shit, whatever he was—ducked his head and stepped inside.

“I-I’m not a monster,” she stammered with her words, trying to come up with a good explanation to her appearance. “I mean, there’s a reason why I look this way.”

Cronus grinned at her, as if he knew what she was trying to say.

Before Jena could utter another word, he held up his large hand to silence her. “You don’t have to explain. I already know everything.”

She shrugged. “You do?”

He nodded. “Yes, Jena. I know about the creature stalking you.” His nostrils flared and he frowned, staring at her hard. Then his expression eased a little. “And I’m aware of the curse he’s placed upon you.” 

Her shoulders sagged in relief. “Are you here to take it away?”

When he didn’t immediately reply, and by the look on his face, it told her without words the answer to her question. A sick feeling of disappointment hit her hard.

Finally he said, “I’m sorry, Jena. I cannot reverse what is already done, but there is some light at the end of the tunnel.”

Jena furrowed her brow. “What’s that supposed to mean?” 

“With my help, and with your compliance,” he briefly paused, scanning the open sliding door with his sharp eyes, as if he were looking for someone, “you will not kill the innocents.”

Her eyes rounded. “Are you saying I won’t become a killer?” God, she hated that word.

Cronus shook his head. “No, Jena. That part I cannot take away. You’re still going to kill humans for their blood.”

She threw her wolfish hands up in defeat and let out an aggravated groan. “I don’t understand.” Jena’s voice had hardened then. “So what part of this is supposed to be helping me?”

“You will only take the lives of evil-doers,” said a strange deep voice, coming from the balcony.

When Jena looked away from Cronus, and focused her eyes on the man—who resembled the other giant angel—peering into the opening of the sliding glass door, she found herself speechless. It was like she couldn’t move. There are two of them?

Words could not describe the angel staring back at her with strange silver eyes that shimmered like crystals, which accentuated his handsome face. And he had the most fantastic head of hair, the kind most women would die for. The long, colorful shades of his golden-toned hair were outrageously gorgeous. 

Jeez, were all angels this attractive? Jena thought. 

As the angel ducked his head to enter the room, Jena took a few steps back. Then, to her amazement, another angel appeared in the opening of the balcony. As he ducked under the doorway and stepped inside, Jena looked up at him in awe. When he stood straight, he towered above the other angels by at least two feet. He had shimmering eyes and braids that trailed past his bare chest as thick as rope. The way he stood firm and mighty reminded Jena of an African King. 
         
“Who are you?” she asked, looking between the two angels.

“My name is Icarus,” said the blonde-headed angel. He bowed his head and then turned to the other angel. “And this is Helios.”

Helios bowed to Jena in silence.

“Cronus is our commander.” Icarus’s eyes shifted to Cronus and then back to Jena. “We’re here to help him, help you.”

Jena swallowed the knot that had formed in her throat. “What did you mean by what you said just a second ago?”   
 
“In our world, evil-doers refers to the worst of sinners,” said Icarus, and he added, “Child molesters, serial killers, rapists, and anything that walks on two feet with the intent of performing the most pervert acts on the innocent. I’m sure you get my meaning.”

When Jena nodded, he went on, “We need you to help us rid the earth of these evil beings before they are sent to hell.”

Jena smirked. “Why not just let them go to hell? Won’t that be a worse punishment?”

Icarus laughed a little. “I’m sure burning for eternity would be far worse than being killed outright by you. But the curse you bestow will destroy their souls before Satan gets his hooks in them.”

Jena narrowed her eyes. “But isn’t that how it works?” Her voice sounded frustrated. “You’re confusing me here. Why would you care if the devil gets the bad people? Don’t they deserve it?”

“Yes, they deserve to burn in hell for eternity,” Cronus told Jena. “But what you don’t understand, some of those bad people will be converted into demons. Not all of them will burn in eternal fire. Satan unleashes his chosen to do his bidding. He wants to destroy us and take over. He sends powerful demons to a place called the In-Between. It’s the outer surrounding of heaven. That’s where all the battle angels like us reside, where we guard heaven’s gate. You will be doing us a big favor by eliminating Satan’s soldiers. As of now, his numbers are rising. If you agree to this, you will not kill innocent people, and you’ll be helping us.”

“So what you’re saying is,” Jena momentarily paused to let out a deep breath, “I’d be sort of like God’s grim reaper?”

Cronus cocked a brow and Icarus made a noise in the back of his throat as though he was holding back a chuckle.

“Yeah,” Cronus chortled. “Something like that.”

Jena shrugged. “But how I am supposed to know if a person is good or bad?”

“Trust me,” Icarus said to her. “You’ll know. The evil will call out to you.”

Jena looked to the angel named Helios. “Are you always this quiet?”

“He doesn’t speak,” Icarus stated. “He was born without vocal cords, but he’s a telepathic.”

“You mean he can communicate with his mind?”

Helios focused on Jena and spoke to her using his special gift. “Yes, Jena.” His voice was a deep baritone, softly whispering in Jena’s head. “I can communicate with everyone in this room at the same time, using my inner voice.”  
   

Jena’s eyes rounded. “Wow. That’s incredible.”

Helios smiled at her.

“Seeing all of you here is amazing, but I can’t help but feel like this is my fault,” Jena regretfully said. “I feel guilty every single day, because Todd and Sophie died and I didn’t. I’m the one that led them to that cemetery. They died because of me. I’d give anything if I could go back in time. I would have never went there. I—” she began, then broke off with a gasp. “I don’t deserve to live.”

Cronus drew closer to Jena, and kept his voice low. “I regret what’s happened to you, but what is done is done. There is no turning back. You have to know this is not your doing. The wicked creature had you spellbound. You had no other choice but to submit to his bidding.”

“You were born with a purpose, Jena,” Icarus chimed back in. “Your ability to speak to those who have passed on is not coincidental. God gave you this gift for a reason.”

Jena narrowed her eyes in question. “But why?”

“To help them move on,” Icarus explained. “Those who cannot pass on to the other side turn to people like you that are gifted with sight.”

“You mean like that girl, Carla Rosi?” she asked.

Icarus nodded. “Yes, Jena. And you’re not to blame for anyone’s death. You went to that cemetery for the sole purpose of helping Carla’s family. You had no idea something evil was lurking in the shadows.” He loomed over her with tenderness in his mesmerizing gaze. “Jena, you gave Carla and her family what they desperately needed.” 
  
“And what’s that?”

“Peace,” Icarus simply said. “Carla can finally rest in peace, and her family can heal from her death.”  
       
Jena held steady. She drew in her breath and reached for the last of her strength she had left. “All this time, I thought I was a freak,” she muttered, her words ragged and choked. “My family thought I was crazy.”

“You’re anything but that,” Cronus said, his words soothing. “You have a special gift.”

Jena’s eyes softened. “So I guess all this leaves me with no other choice. I have to do what I have to do. Even though the thought of becoming this monster makes me sick to my stomach, it’s the right thing.” She sighed again. “At least I won’t be killing innocent people.”

“There’s one more thing,” Cronus went on to explain. Before he continued, he reached out and placed his hand on her shoulder. The instant he made contact, Jena shifted back to her human form.

She looked down at her body, and her eyes went wide. It was as if she’d just witnessed a miracle. Then her eyes lifted to meet Cronus’s stare.

Jena let out a long breath, as if all the air in her lungs expelled. Tears immediately gathered in her eyes. “I don’t know what to say,” she said in a low voice. “Thank you.”

Cronus smiled, and removed his hand from her shoulder. “You’re welcome, Jena. But in order for all this to work,” he began to explain, “the creature that cursed you can no longer exist. You must destroy it. You’re the only key to its destruction.”

Her face grew pale at the horror of what he told her. It was so inconceivable. No, Jena painfully thought as she slumped and looked down. Her unease was growing with each passing moment. Then tears fell from her eyes. Swallowing back the sobs that welled in her chest, she lifted her chin. As her eyes roamed the faces before her, she finally managed to say, “I’m sorry.” The words came out as shaky as her hands were. “I cannot kill him.”
        
“You have no choice, Jena,” said Helios, his inner voice a deep resonant baritone. “Innocent lives depend solely on you. We depend on you.”

To be continued . . .

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf form. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline only get their wolf if they are born with an identical twin. Although they live among humans, their species is secret.
In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing that can kill a Breedline.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins are so strong, they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When two Breedlines experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. They bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs their laws and oversees the species population.

Bull (a.k.a. Benjamin Allen Calvero) - He is a Breedline, highly trained and an expert in a variety of military tactics who is part of Roman Kincaid's team. He gets his nickname because of his size.

Battle Angels - Their one purpose for existence is to serve the Creator in war against demons and evil havoc on earth. The battle angels were unlike any of the Creator's angels. The indigenous battle angels, on average, stood ten feet tall. Although, a few towered to the height of twelve feet with a more muscular build. Tattooed with unique warrior markings, the black-winged warriors were suited with armor typical of ancient heroes, and they wielded a type of sword associated with a long-gone empire. They are the bravest of angels, who consider only the importance of their mission, and are perfectly willing to give their life in the service of righteousness. Gifted with special powers, they fight against the dark side. They are particularly fond of the human race and consider themselves humanity's special protectors.

Cronus - He is a loyal and devoted warrior in charge of God's battle angels. He wields the power of the sword of truth and has the ability to use his body as a shield. His mission is to protect the heavens and all God's creations.

Lailah - She is a battle angel gifted with holy fire used to trap or immobilize demons and other evil supernatural beings, rather than killing them outright. Forty-one years ago, in her human life at age seventeen, she was savagely murdered. Although her killer got away with the crime, her younger brother, Detective Manuel Sanchez promises to dedicate his life trying to solve the murder.

Helios - He is a battle angel, and a descendant of an African king. When God brought him into the group, he converted Helios's body into a lethal weapon. The tips of his feathers were sharp as knives, and talons capable of shredding through skin and bone, clawed his hands and feet. Although he was born without vocal cords, he could communicate using his mind.

Icarus - He is a gorgeous battle angel gifted with the power of telekinesis. He can influence, manipulate, and move matter using his mind.

Frigg - He is one of God's originals, serving as a battle angel for more than a century. With a personality bigger than life, a bit of an attitude, and a love for rock-n-roll, cheeseburgers, and classic black-and-white movies, he oddly resembles the singer Billy Idol of the 80's punk rock band - sporting the same trademark bleached spiked hair and English accent. He has the unique power of shapeshifting. He can transform and reshape himself into any living thing.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.