General Fiction posted September 18, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A first time candidate.

I Voted Today

by Lance S. Loria


I voted today. I have a colorful sticker to prove it. It was quick and easy. I was disappointed I didn't see anyone I knew. It was exciting to read my name on the ballot and actually cast my vote. At least I'll have one vote. Actually, two; Mom voted today also. Is that fair. Are moms allowed to vote for their kids? I'd hate to be disqualified over one vote. I've never really been interested in politics, so today feels surreal. Animals, and particularly dogs, were always my interest.

There's nothing to do, until the polls close. My cell phone started to "blow-up" with text messages from family and friends wishing me luck and/or telling me they had voted. One text, "Good luck today, I already voted." This left me wondering if it implied a vote for me or someone else. Social media was also active with 33 likes on my Election Banner. Not sure if this represents votes for me. Regardless, these had to be positive signs for my campaign.

With nothing better to do, I began to fantasize how a win could benefit my career. This is America, so one day I might run for President...and win! I should've introduced myself earlier. I'm Dudley James Taylor. DJ has always been my nickname. Considering the current President, I don't know if my initials are a good or bad thing. Perhaps no one will take notice.

It's time to heat a frozen dinner and turn on the local TV news. Election results should start to trickle in now. Oh my, the announcer was already reporting results.

"For County Commissioner, Kendall 62 and Bailey 38 percent."

Does anyone actually know what a Commissioner does?

"For Justice of the Peace, Precinct 3, Riley 49 and Schnitzer 51 percent."

Wow, that's a really close race.

The announcer continued, "For Freemont Sherriff, Andrews 28 and Peabody 72 percent."

Nothing about that race sounds close and Peabody looks like the early winner with an impressive vote margin.

It's time for a quick refill of my ice tea. My cell phone rang, and it was Mom.

"DJ, this is your Mother. Are you watching the election returns on TV?"

"Yes Mom, but nothing yet."

"Dudley James! Watch now!"

I returned to the TV just in time for a commercial break. An election ticker tape ran along the bottom of the screen, but nothing about me.

"Ok Mom, tell me what you heard."

"Well son, you know I'm not good with math and all those percentages confuse me."

"For crying out loud Mom, did you hear an election update about me?"

"Truthfully DJ I did, but got so excited to call that I didn't understand it."

"Ok Mom. Good-bye. We'll speak later when more results are reported."

"For County Prosecutor, Johnson 44 and Andrews 56 percent."

Suddenly, the announcer said, "For Dog Catcher, Taylor 78 and Cummings 22 percent."

On my God! This is a huge margin. I'm winning!




I voted writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story beginning with the words "I voted - " You can continue the sentence as you wish. Beyond the opening lines there are no rules. Maximum word count is 500 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lance S. Loria All rights reserved.
Lance S. Loria has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.