General Flash Fiction posted September 13, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A secret old fashioned recipe

Old Fashioned Lemonade

by Lobber


Dee has a new job at Betty's Beach Diner.

Betty taps the heavy lemonade crock. "Hon, just remove top - add stuff - done."

Betty's lemonade gets rave reviews all summer.

"Hon, cool air today. Time to put Mr. Sunkist to bed."

Dee drains the crock, unscrews the top then carefully tips it on its side. As she wipes the inside her ring catches something. Slowly she pulls out a greasy, old rag. Dee decides to keep Betty's "secret recipe" a secret.



80 Word Flash Fiction contest entry


In 1893, P.J. Dreher and his son, the "father of the California citrus industry" Edward L. Dreher (1877-1964), formed the Southern California Fruit Exchange in Claremont, a small college town near Los Angeles. It originally represented only growers of oranges: in 1896 lemon growers joined as well. The exchange soon included growers and groves in Riverside in Riverside County, Pomona and San Dimas in Los Angeles County, and Santa Paula, Saticoy, Fillmore, Rancho Sespe, Bardsdale and Piru in Ventura County; by 1905, the group represented 5,000 members, 45% of the California citrus industry, and renamed itself the California Fruit Growers Exchange. In 1952, it changed its name to Sunkist Growers, Inc.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lobber All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Lobber has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.