General Fiction posted August 30, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a flash non fiction

the soda

by judester


My friend took a long pull on his ice cold soda. We were at a restaurant on the beach in Zanzibar and it was hot. He looked down to see a young boy with big brown eyes, a hopeful smile and his little finger pointing to the soda.
My friend reached into his pocket to buy the boy his own soda.
Taking the bottle with two hands, he took his first sip.

Suddenly, running down the beach, was a group of about ten boys heading our way.
With a little yelp, the boy took off running, trying to finish his soda before his friends reached him.
He ran while drinking, then realized that he could not finish in time, he began to pour it onto the sand as he ran.

When his friends reached him, the bottle was empty and they were all on equal footing once again.



True Story Flash contest entry


Thanks to simonka for the artwork. Usually these kids share whatever they have. I have seen a cookie divided into five parts so each one can have a taste. This little boy looked terrified of his friends, being caught with a full bottle for himself.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by simonka at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.