General Poetry posted August 29, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
One,two ,three......

Nectar of the Gods

by tempeste

At
the foot
of the mounts
sturdy vines thrive
in blessed sunlight,
on terraces that cling tight
to steep, rocky slopes thanks to
strong supporting dry-stone walls built
centuries ago. Mature clusters
of this divine fruit are still handpicked and
carried in wicker baskets to the cellars
where they are turned into wine-nectar of the gods.
 



oneoneonetwotwotwo... contest entry


The Valtellina Valley , where my papa ' was born is situated at the foot of the Italian Alps.

Unlike Tuscany or Piedmont where the vineyards sit on sleepy hills, the Valtellina wine country dramatically climbs up the side of the mountain.

Valtellina is different from other valleys of the Alpine region. Most valleys run North to South, the Valtellina valley runs West to East. This position is good for wine cultivation because the terraced hills get sun exposure all day long. Although it gets cold in winter, the ground never freezes which is good for the vines.

DRY-STONE WALLS are called dry because no mortar or other bonding material such as clay or cement are used to keep the stones together.
Stone walls blend naturally into the landscape.



WINE-NECTAR OF THE GODS. ... In the Greek mythology, wine was named nectar of the gods and in fact, Greek god Dionisos ( that we may know as Bacchus) is credited with the discovering of the vine and the elaboration of wine.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. tempeste All rights reserved.
tempeste has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.