General Non-Fiction posted August 22, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A beautiful, intriguing site in Wyoming USA

Devil's Tower

by aryr


Since I have traveled over a fair bit of the USA and actually all of Canada, I have had the pleasure of seeing many areas.

It was rather hard to pick a place that stood out, but I finally decided on 'Devil's Tower' in the north eastern part of the state of Wyoming. It was initially named in 1875 by Colonel Dodge when the name from the natives was misinterpreted from Mato Tipila of the Lakota tribe meaning Bear Lodge to 'Bad God's Tower' or Devil's Tower.

It was featured in the 1977 movie 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' and is considered sacred to the native tribes.

It is a volcanic neck that stands 1267 feet and is a mile of up and down to walk around.

The story is that the ridges were caused by a clawing bear trying to reach children on the top.

Beautiful, impressive, awesome.




150 words- flash fiction

Club entry for the "Beloved Places" event in "Flash Fiction and Short Shorts".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.