General Fiction posted August 20, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
All blind dates don't end alike.

A Bottle Of White, Bottle Of Red

by howard11


The hostess brought his date to the table.

He stood. "Claire?"

"That's me. And you're Henry."

"Hank will do." He pulled a chair so she could sit. Attractive yes, but Claire appeared aloof, unlike her sister.

After lighting the table candle, the hostess said, "Server Haley will be with you shortly."

"So, you know my sister."

"Many years. She kept you a secret."

"Believe me, at my insistence. We observe sisterly detente, existing in dissimilar worlds with different kinds of people." Indirectly, Claire cavalierly relegated Hank to his proper place.

Gracious of you to show tonight." Hank's words were distinctly frosty.

Haley arrived and handed them menus. "Something to drink while you ..."

"White wine and pasta primavera," interrupted Claire.

Hank followed, "Please bring me veal scallopini and red wine."

"Henry, not meat! That's wrong." Claire abruptly stood and stomped away.

"Melodramatic bitch," hissed Haley.

"You think?" said an amused Hank.



Flash Fiction contest entry


We live in an era when people are conveniently labeled; therefore, easier to like or dislike...accept or discount...give the finger to or not. Rash decisions made on the basis of mostly ignorance.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. howard11 All rights reserved.
howard11 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.