Fantasy Flash Fiction posted August 19, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
There's a moral in every story.

Grazing Rights

by Mia Twysted


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
"Come on," Mama zebra said, "brush off your stripes."

"Why did I have to come?" Maney Zebra said, "I don't like the city or the cousins."

"It's only for a weekend," Papa zebra scowled, "make it a point to have a good time."

Forcing a smile, Maney greeted his aunt and uncle. As the adults got lost in conversation, Mandy was directed toward his cousins, Nelly and Fredrick.

Told to go out to play the tiny herd grazed around in the small patches of grass on the sidewalk between the light posts.

"This grass is bland," Maney said, "Let's go eat that patch over there."

"No, no," the cousins yelled, jumping in Maney's path, "don't touch that grass."

"Why not?"

"It belongs to the dogs," Nelly said.

"What dogs?"

"Those dogs," Fredrick motioned to the two small brown and black Miniature Pinscher.

Maney scoffed at his cousins embarrassed to be related to such scaredy cats. Puffing out his chest, he pranced toward the dark green silky patch of grass.

"Just where do you're going?" the smaller of the pups stepped off his steps onto the sidewalk.

"Pfffff," Maney huffed still walking.

"I'm sorry," the larger Pinscher strutted out from behind his littermate. "I believe my brother asked you a question."

"I'm hungry. I'm going to have some grass."

"Are you now?"

"Yes, I am."

Circling their territory, the two miniature's snarled.

"He's sorry," Fredrick walked up head and eyes down, "he's not from around here."

"Oh, please," Maney stepped forward.

Fangs out the pups attacked. Maney turned reared up his hind legs and kicked the snotty pinchers into oncoming traffic. Letting out a content sigh, he trotted to the patch of grass and began to eat.

And the moral of the story is to be the windshield, not the bug.



Write A Modern Fable writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short fable-like story where the last sentence starts with: "And the moral of the story is". This can be on any subject, true or fictional, and can be in any voice, as long as the moral is stated in the last line. A new twist on an old fable is also allowed. Be creative and have fun! Maximum word count: 300


I asked my two nieces to give me animals. One said "zebra" and the other said "bad dog." And this is the story that came to be.

Word count (without title) 300
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mia Twysted All rights reserved.
Mia Twysted has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.