Supernatural Fiction posted August 18, 2019 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE IMMORTAL

Forgiven

by scongrove




Background
Thank you for taking the time to read my chapter. It's still in the working stages, so if you catch any mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy!
Previously . . .

After an age-old creature—buried deep in the ground—rises from years of peaceful slumber to feast on humans, it attacks Jena McCain—a young artist who has the ability to speak with the dead—and infects her with the Rougarou curse. As the virus spreads through her body, Jena must resist her newly found urges for human blood for one hundred and one days. If she succumbs to the blood lust, she will be become the thing that has cursed her.    

Now that the creature is hunting humans, and infected an innocent young girl, God tasks Lailah—a battle angel gifted with the power of holy fire—with an important mission. She must take the Fury and Sebastian back to earth for the sole purpose of destroying this savage creature.

As the battle angels plan to meet with the Breedline, they send Sebastian to relay a message to the Covenant of their visit. Overjoyed to see Eve and his twin boys again, Sebastian also worries how everyone in the Covenant will react to his presence.  
  

Meanwhile, Yelena—who is now carrying Apollyon’s child—has visions of him returning to earth with the battle angels after he and his fraternal twins sisters were apprehended for their crimes against humanity. As she prays her visions are true, she worries what lies ahead for their unborn child.
     

Continued . . .


It was almost one the following morning when Sebastian used his powers to conjure a portal to get inside the Breedline Covenant. The place was quiet, not a single person stirring. Lailah had agreed to let him visit his sons while the others took refuge at the estate where Apollyon, Callisto, and Electra’s mother lived. Their next plan of action was crucial. It would include the Breedline Covenant. Sebastian was not only here to see his family, he was here to inform everyone in the Covenant of their plan to destroy the creature. But killing it involved the human that had been bitten. She was the only key to the destruction of the creature. And they weren’t going to like what had to be done. 

As Sebastian stood outside the door to Arius and Tidus’s nursery, tears formed in the corners of his eyes. It had been so long since he last cried he barely recognized what tears were. He quickly reached up to wipe them before they spilled down his cheeks.

God, he felt like shit for not being there when his family needed him, just because of his greed for power. He was ashamed of himself now . . . ashamed of missing precious time with them. His past had affected the decisions he made, replacing the light in his heart with anger and darkness. Now, he wanted more than anything to be the father they never had. His sons deserved nothing less.  

Sebastian took a hard breath and reached for the door. As he slowly opened it and walked in, an overwhelming sea of emotions swept over him. His face transformed into an absolute glow of happiness. Arius was standing up in his crib with one hand locked on the rail, and the other outstretched as though he was reaching for him.

“Arius,” he said in a low, trembling voice.

He closed the door quietly and went over to the crib. When he scooped Arius into his arms, he settled instantly in Sebastian’s hold, wrapping his arms around his neck and cuddling into his chest. Having his son in his arms was so natural, and he realized how much he needed him.

Sebastian put his mouth to Arius’s ear and whispered, “I’m so sorry I wasn’t here for you.”

With Arius snuggled against him, Sebastian looked over the lip of the crib. The instant he peered down at the toddler dressed in a blue-footed pajama sleeper, his chest filled with renewed purpose. 
 
When Sebastian reached inside the crib and lightly stroked his hand over Tidus’s arm, he opened his eyes. As he looked into a stare the exact golden color of his own, Sebastian’s heart skipped a beat. “Hello, son,” he whispered as he bent down with Arius in his arms.

From out of nowhere, Tidus mumbled, “Dada.”

“They’ve missed you,” said a soft, but all-too-familiar voice.

As Sebastian looked to the door, the rhythm of his heart skipped again, but for a different reason.

“Eve,” he gasped.

Tears were streaming down Eve’s face, and her trembling lips pursed tight as if she were trying her best not to fall apart.

Sebastian reached out to her with his free hand. “Come here, beloved.”

Without further hesitation, she went to him freely. “Oh, Sebastian,” she quietly sobbed as he tucked her in against him. “I thought I’d never see you again.”

As Sebastian held onto Arius and Eve, his world seemed complete. His family completed him by filling a gap in his heart he lost so many years ago.

He leaned in and inhaled the scent of her hair. “I love you, Eve.”

While embraced, Sebastian felt the brush of a tiny hand. When he looked down, Tidus was standing in the crib with the most adorable look on his face.

Sebastian reached down and caressed Tidus’s cheek with his thumb. “You make everything wrong in this world right.”
At that very moment, everything seemed to fall into place. Sebastian felt as though his life had a new meaning, and a fresh beginning. One was his heart and the other two a piece of himself, and they all gave him a purpose to be the man he needed to be.  
   
Now all he had to do was convince the Breedline of his changed ways, even after all the low-down, rotten things he had done to them, and pray they would give him a second chance. He wouldn’t blame them if they killed him outright. Especially his half-brother Jace. Betraying others you hardly knew was one thing, but betraying your own family . . . that was another.

****

It was almost dawn, and Yelena found she couldn’t sleep, so she decided to get up. Her mind seemed consumed with worry and her chest ached with sadness. She wondered when or if she would ever see Apollyon again. Would their unborn child grow up without a father? The succubus-side in her said he was coming back, but the rational side said otherwise. She had less than a month—to think, to plan, to process everything—before the baby was born.

As she swung her feet to the floor and stood, a flash of dizziness came out of nowhere, blurring her vision. Before she lost her balance, she plopped back down on the bed. Lowering her head and exhaling a deep breath seemed to help a little. After a moment, her head cleared and she got back to her feet. Moving toward the bathroom, she slipped out of her nightgown and opened the shower door. Switching the facet on, she waited until the water built up a warm steam.

When she stepped in, the baby moved as though he was trying to find a better position inside such a small space. She looked to her belly and smiled. Smoothing her hand over the precious life nestled in her womb, she vowed with everything she had that her child would grow up with love no matter the circumstances. Already she loved her son so much. 
 
The shower she took was heaven. Her body relaxed under the warm and penetrating spray. Hanging her head, she let the rush of soothing water run down the back of her neck. 

By the time she got out, she felt more at ease with her thoughts. That quickly changed when she looked across the room at the reflection staring back at her in the full-length mirror.

Yelena put her hands on her belly and sighed. Under her palms, her stomach was rounded, the protrusion such that it was obvious she was in her third trimester. Since she was born a full-blooded succubus, the fetus developed faster than any other species. Instead of carrying the baby for nine months, Yelena had less than two months until the baby was full-term.   

As she reached out to grab a towel that was hanging on the rack next to the shower, the ring Apollyon had given her slipped off her finger.

Yelena looked down and watched as it bounced on the tile floor. After she wrapped the towel around herself, she carefully stepped out of the shower and bent down to pick the silver band up. Please come back to me, Apollyon, she thought, admiring the symbol on the signet ring. I need you, and your son needs you.    
               
“Yelena,” said a familiar, dominating voice.

The second she heard that voice, her head shot up. Yelena looked stunned. On some level, she thought it had to be a dream, or maybe her imagination was playing tricks on her. Yet, as she rose on shaky legs, her brain could not deny what her eyes were telling her. She was shaking so bad she reached for the shower door to keep from dropping to her knees.   

Yelena looked at him, her eyes pleading. “Apollyon?” she said with wonder.

He stood in the open doorway, and held out his arms to her. “I’m right here my beloved.”

With her eyes locked onto his golden gaze, she muttered, “Is it really you?”

Apollyon snapped into action and went forward. Gathering her gently in his arms, he lifted her from the floor and murmured into her ear, “Yes, my Yelena.”

Her heart leaped inside her chest. “Oh, Apollyon,” she sniffled, resting her head against his chest. “Thank god you’re back.”     
     
Yelena’s towel opened down the middle when he laid her on top of the bed. He could tell by the shape of her belly that she was with child. His eyes rounded in disbelief. How was this possible?

His eyebrow went up and he studied her for a moment. “Are you?” He fell silent, swallowing the lump in his throat.  

There was a long pause, and then Yelena reluctantly said, “You’re going to be a father soon.”

Apollyon looked a little gobsmacked. His mouth opened as though he was about to say something, but instead, he reached out and smoothed his hand over the swell of her belly. Then, his gaze met hers, and she seemed surprised by the tenderness in his eyes. He took her hand and squeezed it.

“A father?” he finally said.

Her thumb stroked back and forth over his palm. “It’s a boy,” she said in a small voice.

Apollyon put his hand over his heart as if struck by something. A son? They were having a son.

He shook himself back to awareness and blurted, “A son—” 

Yelena nodded with a peaceful smile, picturing their son, big and tall, strong as his father.

“Your son will need his father.”

Her statement seemed more like a question, wondering what fate had in store for their future.

That’s when Apollyon teared up, the droplets falling off his hard jaw onto the place that held the tiny life inside of his beloved. He was prepared to fight with the battle angels to destroy the creature, but nothing had prepared him for the reality of the woman he loved carrying his child.

In response, he lifted her off the bed and cradled her protectively against his chest. “I promise,” he whispered close to her ear. “I will be here for you, and our child.”

Yelena closed her eyes and inhaled his comforting scent. Tears leaked down her cheeks, absorbed by his shirt.

Apollyon stroked her hair with one hand and held her tightly with the other.

“But how is that possible?” She whispered into his embrace. “What about the battle angels? Don’t you have to face some kind of punishment?”

As he slowly lowered her back down, he leaned in to kiss her on the forehead. “The Creator,” he paused as though he was fighting back more tears, “has given me and my sisters a second chance. If we help the battle angels destroy an age old creature, and dedicate our lives serving and protecting others, we will be allowed to stay on earth.”

Her brows furrowed, and Apollyon could see the conflict so readily apparent on her face. “I don’t understand.” She shook her head. “What about your lust for human blood?”

“It’s gone my beloved.” His eyes softened as he spoke, and Yelena relaxed a little. “The Creator released us from our hunger. I’m finally free.”  
   
Hope and excitement welled in her chest, and ridiculously, Yelena felt like crying all over again. It was like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders.

Yelena reached up to his face. “We’re a family,” she whispered, wiping his tears away.

Apollyon started to smile, and then he found her mouth, kissing her. He held her even closer, next to his beating heart, which now belonged to her. Yelena made him feel alive in a way he had never been in his entire existence. Somehow, someway, he would find a way to keep his promise. Not only was he never letting go of his son, he wasn’t letting go of Yelena either. 

“Forever,” he murmured against her lips.  

To be continued . . .            
    
 
           

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf form. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline only get their wolf if they are born with an identical twin. Although they live among humans, their species is secret.
In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing that can kill a Breedline.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins are so strong, they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When two Breedlines experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. They bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs their laws and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. She rules over all the Breedline Covenants where she makes all the final decisions. This is their absolute True Law.

SUCCUBUS (a.k.a. CREEPERS) - Creatures that search for and feeds off the blood of the Breedline species. Creepers are skilled at extreme sexual pleasure, and the ecstasy they create is exceedingly intense and highly addictive. They cast off a scent that hypnotizes Breedlines into overwhelming sexual urges. They use their human-like bodies and beautiful features to control and influence their thoughts.
One much less obvious manifestation of Creepers is nightmares - realistic, graphic, terrifying nightmares that rob the Breedline of sleep. Over a period, it can lead to severe fatigue and depression, leaving them emotionally and spiritually drained. Death can occur if they ultimately take over the Breedline's body.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed, and Eve's bonded mate. He has the power to summons a portal. After his half-brother Jace kills him in self- defense, it released his soul into purgatory while the Chiang-Shih demon possesses his body when the Angel of Mercy cast him from Alexander's body. As he tried to portray Sebastian's life, Eve finally figures out his secret. Keeping her captive only to survive on her blood, he later develops feelings for her. The demon creates a death army, determined to dominate the world and unleash his wrath among humans and the Breedline. Now free from the demon, he is determined to reunite with his beloved Eve while she awaits her trial for the past crimes the Breedline Covenant. When Sebastian begs God for a second chance, the darkness within him is set free. After he turns himself in to the Breedline and accepts his punishment, Lucifer threatens to torture Sebastian with the horrible memories of his childhood past, reliving each dreadful day, unless he hands over his son Arius.

Eve - She is a half-breed, and Sebastian's bonded mate. Growing up in human foster care, she spent her entire childhood abused until Sebastian saves her. Scorned from her past, she lashes out in anger, living a life of crime later to discover her twin sister, Mia Blackwood. After realizing the Chiang-Shih demon possesses Sebastian, Eve clings to the past in hopes of reuniting with her beloved. Now that Sebastian is finally free of the demon, she has trust issues, worried he has an alternative plan for their sons.

Arius and Tidus - They are Sebastian and Eve's twin boys. Both have inherited their parent's genetics of a half-breed. Arius carries the mark of the Chiang-Shih demon with the power to create a portal and the ability to heal others.

Yelena Smirnov - A full-blooded succubus from Russia. She is in charge of security at the Cat Club. She bonded with Apollyon, who later found himself apprehended by the battle angels, along with his fraternal twin sisters, Callisto, and Electra.

Lailah - She is a battle angel gifted with holy fire used to trap or immobilize demons and other evil supernatural beings, rather than killing them outright. Forty-one years ago, in her human life at age seventeen, she was savagely murdered. Although her killer got away with the crime, her younger brother, Detective Manuel Sanchez promises to dedicate his life trying to solve the murder.

Battle Angels - Their one purpose for existence is to serve the Creator in war against demons and evil havoc on earth. The battle angels were unlike any of the Creator's angels. The indigenous battle angels, on average, stood ten feet tall. Although, a few towered to the height of twelve feet with a more muscular build. Tattooed with unique warrior markings, the black-winged warriors were suited with armor typical of ancient heroes, and they wielded a type of sword associated with a long-gone empire. They are the bravest of angels, who consider only the importance of their mission, and are perfectly willing to give their life in the service of righteousness. Gifted with special powers, they fight against the dark side. They are particularly fond of the human race and consider themselves humanity's special protectors.

The Fury - Three fraternal twins created by an evil German scientist named Dr. Hans Autenburg. Using his own DNA, he mixed it with the genetics of a Breedline, an Adalwolf, and a powerful Wiccan. After he kidnapped Sonya Hothburn for her genetics of a full-blooded succubus, he forced her into surrogacy. When the children were born, he forbid Sonya to see her children.
Their purpose was to destroy the Breedline species and dominate the human world. The first-born Apollyon, meaning 'destroyer' in Greek grew up with the strength of ten men, and possessed the power to dematerialize, taking others with him, from one place to another. He can transform into a creature that resembles an Adalwolf, and a vampire-like hybrid. The second born, Callisto, meaning 'most beautiful,' developed the power to form a shield, protecting herself and others from harm. Electra, meaning 'the shining one' was last to be born. She has the power to conduct electricity from her body, using it as a weapon. Inheriting their species instinct and extraordinary power, their thirst to kill became uncontrollable. As they grew up, the Fury became more and more unstable and unruly. With an insatiable hunger for human flesh and unmanageable powers, they became a hindrance to the physician. He had no other choice but to drug and imprison them for all time, each one placed inside a sarcophagus in a state of deep slumber, until their mother discovered their whereabouts and set them free.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.